It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buy your emergency supplies now before hyperinflation occurs!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I have been collecting food and water since last March. We live in a rural area and have a well, but it is run with electricity. Last February when the temps here dropped to around zero with a windchill of minus 20, our well, which is not covered by a well house, froze solid so we had no water. I have been storing water in used milk jugs so that we have water for toilets, bathing, etc. I tried going potty out in the field with the wind howling on my backside, it wasn't a good experience. I also buy bottled water for drinking, which is stored in our underground shelter.

I got plenty of food. We got lots of ammo and some good rifles / shotguns. We also are connected with farmers and off-the-gridders in the area who have chickens, goats, cows, etc. I purchased lots of food items for bartering when they were cheaper (sugar, cocoa, coffee, flour).

My only concern is that our house was constructed as all electric in 1974. It has no fireplace or wood stove. I am concerned that, if TSHTF in the dead of winter, we'll freeze unless we figure out a way to bring heat into at least one room. We have considered a generator, but my husband is dragging his feet on it due to the cost, and besides, those only last as long as one has fuel to operate them.

Anybody have any ideas on how to stay warm in our situation?

Hi fission; Up here in Wisconsin we have the same vulnerability : "cold"
I keep an "indoor" kerosene heater as backup.(

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOMALY502
for all the people scoffing at this thread, just realize all it will take is one major incident to strip every shelf of every store, and I would nt want to be stuck in the middle of the pandemonium trying to get some supplies. Get it now, so even if its only a few days you have something. We have regional disasters every year around the US. Ice storms, snow storms tornadoes floods hurricanes, and whatever else. wouldnt it be easier to know that you could hunker down because you are prepared. Just something to think about.

Many people have not heard the old parable about the ants and the care free grasshopper... I prefer the way of the ant and to prepare and be ready than the carefree ways of the grasshopper. Acctually it is people like the grasshopper who have made this world into the messed up place it is with their carefree living and not planning for tommorrow.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
If you have a basement, it will be warmer than the upper area. If so, make that your safety zone. Look through the yellow pages and find a place that sells wood stoves. They usually have ties to installers, do your homework and go for the largest BTU and most efficient possible/affordable. Tell your husband the contractor will be out in two weeks to put in a new wood stove, which corner does he want it in? And he is aware, modification to the upper floors will occur to accomodate it?

If you don't have a basement, have the identical conversation. Then ask if he would like to do installments or pay for it all at once.
edit on 20-10-2011 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Here's a tip that I discovered during the last 6 day black out. We were getting ready to go on a family camping trip so I went to the Five Below store and picked up a 50 pack of 'Glow Bracelets' (about $4) for the kids. Much cheaper and more compact than Glow Sticks, plus you can connect them together.

We used them instead of candles and lanterns by placing them throughout the entire house at night. I'm pretty sure they have a long shelf life too.

Oh, and don't forget to stock up on condoms, besides the obvious they have many uses!
edit on 10/20/2011 by RedParrotHead because: typo

edit on 10/20/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by fishman1985

I work in law enforcement. Public safety is being run on a shoestring, my department runs on a skeleton crew, most cities are laying off Police and fire. Your safety always has, and even more in the future remains your responsibility. Public safety will be busy with other things in a bad scenario. Learn some first aid, get some skills. If nothing happens than you have the knowledge, if something does happen you have the skills , its very simple.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I've been collecting for a few years now. Here are a few places you might try.
There prices arn't that stiff.

1. Emergency Essentials.com
2. Sportmansguide.com
3. BUDK.com

As for the body armor, kevlar helmets, gas masks, radation meters and other things just look at these online sites and you'll find what your looking for. Recently I bought a radation meter reader which still works, something you won't find in most places, but the sites above have them.

good luck

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Hyperinflation has supposedly been happening for the past 3-4 years...I'm getting tired of waiting.

Please stop with the fear mongering.

it takes years to build up speed, its starting, go to your local food market and tell me costs are not up.... Real inflation is at 12% right now!

Is all that food you are buying going to be good "years" from now???

I know some things can last a long time....but "years"??? Seems like you are just wasting money if you are trying to plan for "years" in advance.

determined to be a "victim" aint cha'

Store bought canned goods typically have a two year recommended "shelf life". ( they don't go unedible; just are not guaranteed to retain full nutrtion and texture after that.) Dry goods are longer with proper storage . Plenty of info is online.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
I think most people who become concerned about a prolonged, wide spread emergency (aka TSHTF) go through a couple of phases. First they prepare for hours and days and they as are doing research they make the transition to preparing for weeks or months. All the while they're reading more articles, website etc about the coming disaster and feel like they have to prepare for the total collapse of society.

At this point most level headed people begin to realize that preparing for the apocalypse is pretty futile and they accept that the preparations that they made will have to do (I fall into this category.) Then we read the message boards year after year and roll our eyes at the new "Rambos" that discover the same (or latest) dooms day predictions and express that sense of urgency that we once had.

If something dire happens my family and I can survive until after "the big die off" with what we already have and a little luck. After that anyone left will all be in the same boat.

Unfortunately some prepers fall into the 'survivalist mindset' and continue to stockpile and plan, stockpile and plan...after a bit of time they begin to crave the EOTW so that they can finally say "I told you so, now back away from the checkpoint!"
edit on 10/20/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

I understand what you are saying. But, some of us started seeing the signs on the wall years ago. Meaning the direction society in the U.S. was heading, and chose to turn our prepping into a change of lifestyle. That is what I did. Moved from San Fran to a rural mountain state, and started living a much less stressful life. Met wonderful salt of the earth people, who are now my extended family. I eat healthy now, grow for the pleasure if it, whatever I want on my own land. My self confidence level shot up big time. I have no problem stitching up a wounded animal, nor gutting and cooking wild game. I feel that I'm now living the way, God/Goddess intended me to live. In a closer unity with this planet I call home. i feel there are many here in this forum, who have made that same choice.
edit on 20-10-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOMALY502

I work in law enforcement. Public safety is being run on a shoestring, my department runs on a skeleton crew, most cities are laying off Police and fire. Your safety always has, and even more in the future remains your responsibility. Public safety will be busy with other things in a bad scenario. Learn some first aid, get some skills. If nothing happens than you have the knowledge, if something does happen you have the skills , its very simple.

Im glad to see a law enforcement officer telling people this. I have always said by the time you have to call 911 its too damn late. Thanks for your input and like if shtf I will be here growing mad vegatables and will need help!! thanks for posting and thanks for trying to protect the people.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

So you are planning for something, but you don't know what it is...or when it will occur.

Got it.
Never heard of the saying its better to be safe than sorry??

In these times i would say its probably a smart move to be prepared for the possibility that SHTF

Also i am to poor to buy lots of things in advance Lots of food/generators/guns... so i will more than likey just take over someones farm and take all there guns and food... i joke lol

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vaxar

So you are planning for something, but you don't know what it is...or when it will occur.

Got it.
Never heard of the saying its better to be safe than sorry??

In these times i would say its probably a smart move to be prepared for the possibility that SHTF

Also i am to poor to buy lots of things in advance Lots of food/generators/guns... so i will more than likey just take over someones farm and take all there guns and food... i joke lol

better watch doing that, if you dont have guns and they do... you are in for a world of pain... a really short world of pain

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I love how we get all the smug people who have the resources and space to store 3 months worth of food.

I hope these people are prepared to kill others to safeguard all their hard work. People with nothing will stop at nothing

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinthia
I love how we get all the smug people who have the resources and space to store 3 months worth of food.

I hope these people are prepared to kill others to safeguard all their hard work. People with nothing will stop at nothing

its not my fault you are a turd and cant budget, all these things can be bought for as little as 20 dollars a week. and you prob spend more than that on frivolous buys... And yes i am prepared to safegaurd mine and my familys with my life...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I was on the search engine and looking at all the many places that sell kerosene heaters, gas lamps (just like back in the cowboy days!) and little stovetops. With all those, I'd have it made in the (shtf) shade!
But I was wondering if (You are allowed to here) anyone can tell me what link/place of business, is very good, safe, reliable, in your experience, to purchase these things online from. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerwench
I was on the search engine and looking at all the many places that sell kerosene heaters, gas lamps (just like back in the cowboy days!) and little stovetops. With all those, I'd have it made in the (shtf) shade!
But I was wondering if (You are allowed to here) anyone can tell me what link/place of business, is very good, safe, reliable, in your experience, to purchase these things online from. Thanks.

EBAY!!! U can find tons of stuff cheap and in good used working condition. Thats where I bought my seeds from dirt cheap ( got a half million seeds for 73 dollars.) thats like pennies on the dollar compared to retail shopping.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishman1985

EBAY!!! U can find tons of stuff cheap and in good used working condition. Thats where I bought my seeds from dirt cheap ( got a half million seeds for 73 dollars.) thats like pennies on the dollar compared to retail shopping.

Yup...got a lot of my seeds from there too.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by fishman1985

Yup...got a lot of my seeds from there too.

You know if I believe in past lifes I would think that I was a farmer, cause I have an overwhelming urge to just grow #. Its like I love to see nature and all the phases of life and everythign.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Also so everyone understands, hyper inflation will start the day the shtf. Once people relize that they need that kind of food, they will buy up everything available. Tptb will know they are gonna buy up the stuff so will jack the price up something rediculous so they can get one last good hurrah of tons of money. Imagine going to the grocery store and 1 can of soup was 10 dollars, or a 20lb bag of rice was 100 or dry milk was 50 dollars a box. How much could you buy then?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Stocking up for bad times isn't a matter of money, it's a matter of priorities. It doesn't take years. Start with basics. Visit a local second hand store. I have bought huge candles for a buck or two. Make sure you have basic tools. Each week go to the grocery and get a 10-15 pound bag of rice or pinto beans. Check the price per ounce as SOMETIMES they actually charge more on large packages. If you can't afford that, each week buy one 1# bag split peas (lots of protein), one pound pinto beans and one pack of brown rice. That's $3-$3.50 total addition to food purchases each week. Alternate your purchase items. One week buy a 5 lb bag of flour, a container of salt and a package of TP. The third week, stock up on canned meats - spam, tuna or a better deal is the large cans of mackeral or pink salmon. Look at what you are spending your money on already and if any of it is prepared foods i.e. stove top dinners, RIce in box dinners, deli items, pop tarts, beer...oops, not beer. But you get my drift? In 5 months you could have quite the storage of long term food items and maybe spent a hundred or two. If you take the bus to work, ride your bike. If you drive, ride your bike. Deprive yourself of a couple nights out with the guys/gals and learn more by reading...books, net info etc. Cancel your satelite or cable. Sometimes people have to move to a new area like many of us have done. I moved from the state I lived in for 45 years to the midwest and LOVE it. Small towns are abundant, friendly and very low crime rate. I knew only one couple here and not all that well. I got a job and made friends. Take the leap for your own happiness and well being.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
Stocking up for bad times isn't a matter of money, it's a matter of priorities. It doesn't take years. Start with basics. Visit a local second hand store. I have bought huge candles for a buck or two. Make sure you have basic tools. Each week go to the grocery and get a 10-15 pound bag of rice or pinto beans. Check the price per ounce as SOMETIMES they actually charge more on large packages. If you can't afford that, each week buy one 1# bag split peas (lots of protein), one pound pinto beans and one pack of brown rice. That's $3-$3.50 total addition to food purchases each week. Alternate your purchase items. One week buy a 5 lb bag of flour, a container of salt and a package of TP. The third week, stock up on canned meats - spam, tuna or a better deal is the large cans of mackeral or pink salmon. Look at what you are spending your money on already and if any of it is prepared foods i.e. stove top dinners, RIce in box dinners, deli items, pop tarts, beer...oops, not beer. But you get my drift? In 5 months you could have quite the storage of long term food items and maybe spent a hundred or two. If you take the bus to work, ride your bike. If you drive, ride your bike. Deprive yourself of a couple nights out with the guys/gals and learn more by reading...books, net info etc. Cancel your satelite or cable. Sometimes people have to move to a new area like many of us have done. I moved from the state I lived in for 45 years to the midwest and LOVE it. Small towns are abundant, friendly and very low crime rate. I knew only one couple here and not all that well. I got a job and made friends. Take the leap for your own happiness and well being.

I agree with you totally, he is trying to make it like we are rubbing it in or something what im trying to say is do it now before its to late. And I agree, 20$ a week will get you a big ass epk within a month or two.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join