It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell was that!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The largest of the dragonfly fossils found was one with a wingspan of about 18 inches. Cockroaches also from the earlier geologic periods could reach about the same. by the time the jurrasic rolled around insects were more the size of what you find today. Competition from the insect eating protomammals and dinos would have "forced" insect populations to a smaller size- faster, easier to hide and reproduce. I have never seen or heard of any insect that grew larger than the 18 in wingspan length. Wouldn't work. My wife was in western Iraq during the 1st Gulf War, she said you would just leave the tent lights off at night because the light would attract really creepy looking critters out of the sand at their feet continuously. yikes.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Bugs coming out of the sand WOW
Thats creepier then when those huge spider cam out of the floor in Jumainji(the movie) lol anyways WOW
Oh and by the way you like my avatar and signature?

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Scariest bug I ever saw was up at my familes bush lodge. We call it a jagspinnekop. I dont know what the real name is, but thats the Afrikaans name for it. Directly translated it mean 'hunting spider".

Its Huge and bright orange with 2 large legs near the front of its body which it uses like pincers. I remember I felt sorry for it because it was trapped inside the house so I tried to catch it in a glass to take it outside. It wouldnt fit in the glass so I tried a beer mug. It didnt fit in there either so eventually I caught it in a cake tin. It was hissing and jumping around like a bug posessed. Was pretty darn scary

I'd hate to find one of those in my shoes. I always have to check my clothes and shoes before I put them on in the bush. Bugs crawl inside and sleep there.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
LMAO wow good story seeking soul. I've seen a moth that was huge but not a bug like that lol. My old friend had a brother that had hissing cockroaches as pets and they are not kool........

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It was probably a Water Bug my G/f moved from Houston To the country were there are many waterbugs lol it is so funny look at that roach. OMG ... And they are not even roaches.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
ahhh the New Orleans cockroach. I remember them. So big we used to use tennis rackets to go after them. they fly. They get so big that they could pass for a small skateboard. You can put a license plate on the back and claim it's a car.

I was apartment sitting one summer and the guy's dog hated the fact that I was crashing in his bed. the dog would growl at me and pace around every night. About a week in, I wake up in the middle of the night and find the dog at the foot of the bed, teeth bared and growling. The beast was in a crouch, ready to pounce. It leaped, I rolled. I looked back and the dog had a roach the size of my hand in its jaws. From that point on, the dog crawled into bed with me every night (unless there wasn't room).

Roaches get purty darn big in the south

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Proably some really big roach. Though I've never seen one, I've heard that they can grow REALLY big.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seeking Soul
I'd hate to find one of those in my shoes. I always have to check my clothes and shoes before I put them on in the bush. Bugs crawl inside and sleep there.

insects and arachnids do not sleep.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide

I was unaware of that fact. Shows you how much I know about bugs
but they do crawl into your clothing and shoes. Perhaps its for the warmth?

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
giant bugs only appear in places with high humidity.....my grandma said so

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'd have to say it was a Water Bug, living in Manhatten we have a lot of big nasty critters. I had a run in with one of those once, it must've been the size of my hand. My mom and I were watching tv and saw this thing crawl across the floor, she grabbed a can of Black Flag and sprayed it damn near point blank but it only slowed the bastard down for a few seconds. Thinking on her toes she decided to put the can to good use and had to whack it a few times before it stopped moving.
Upstate on the farm I've seen moths that had to have at least a 10 inch wingspan. The oddest bugs i ever saw were these large black grasshoppers, or crickets maybe, but a good 4 to 5 inches long. One time my brother, who's 6' 1" and over 200lbs, stomped on one with his boot. The bugger got up and ran away when he took his foot off it My friend tried to squash one with a tissue but it cut into his finger and my gf's mom tried to pick one up with a paper towel but I saw the thing rip trhough it and run away. Actually, I'd love to find out what those things were if anyone has any info.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
ahhh the New Orleans cockroach. I remember them. So big we used to use tennis rackets to go after them. they fly. They get so big that they could pass for a small skateboard. You can put a license plate on the back and claim it's a car.

I grew up in New Orleans and, good Lord, you are right about the size of those awful things. Damn, things not only fly but will fly in your face. They are really bad around oak trees. I'm still terrified of those things.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
giant bugs only appear in places with high humidity.....my grandma said so

yes,insects die quickly in appartment/house air because it is too dry for them.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seeking Soul

Originally posted by DarkSide

I was unaware of that fact. Shows you how much I know about bugs
but they do crawl into your clothing and shoes. Perhaps its for the warmth?

probably because it is a shelter for them

some eat clothes like moths

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jangofett
Is there a queen roach or somthing?

only social insects like ants,termites,wasps,bee's etc have a queen caste.solitary insects only have males and females

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join