It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New 4.6 EarthQuake in South Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I just got a facebook post from a local news station saying there was a 4.6 EQ 37 miles from Beeville and the shaking was felt in Austin. fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Haaa... It's because all them Texans just fainted and hit the ground because the Cardinals kicked their butts last night in the World Series... Go Cards!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I live in san antonio, ddnt feel a thing, but this is pretty darn crazy :/ ...any ideas why this would happen in the South, Im not sure of any plates here but I dont really look into it as well...quite strange...signs of a pole shift again? who knows

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Usgs 4.6-4.7

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

Are there usually earthquakes in that region?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Houston here.
No shakes, not even an itty quiver.

edit on 20-10-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by seenavv

Im 27 never have had any earthquake scares here in San Antonio...pretty nutz

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
OP stop lying we all know it was Alex Jones dropping his wallet. lol

Are earthquakes common occurrence in Texas? I'm from the UK and this is the first I've heard of an earthquake there. I read in a book one time that people reported earthquakes for years it turned out it was during the secret nuke tests. Crazy times indeed.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Guess what an oil field is in play. Fracking causes earthquakes

satelliteviews.net...

eon.businesswire.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
My fearmonger here too! Run people, run for your life.

Mysterious Loud Rumbling Noises In Santa Rey Found to be Mysterious Loud Rumblings - SimCity3000 Ticker

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Hi Op,

the MSM are frankly a pretty crummy resource for events like this, so we rarely use them as a "first source" though they're good for local color etc. That's no criticism of you! I'm just saying that we prefer to get data straight from the main sources whenever possible because the MSM is often pretty slow on the uptake. (Depends on the event, of course. I'm talking smaller to medium-sized quakes.)

Best thing is to keep an eye on the USGS, where quakes tend to get posted pretty fast.

If you swing over to the quake watch thread, you'll see how we keep tabs on this stuff. I posted the Texas quake data here on page 311 of the thread and more info has been given since then. Another member gave us data about regional quakes in the past in her post on p 312 and yes -- such quakes are pretty rare there. Last one of any size was a mag 5.7 in 1995, and the one before that was a mag 4.6 (same size as today's) in 1992. So, it's been quite a while...

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Hmmmm this is the second earthquake in the past couple of months right? Wasn't the other one a 4+ as well? This is ver unusual for that area.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It has been upgraded to a 4.8
It is very unusual for the area. Some people are saying it is fracking related b/c of the depth.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyFever
Haaa... It's because all them Texans just fainted and hit the ground because the Cardinals kicked their butts last night in the World Series... Go Cards!

Ah, you must be in another dimension, because in this dimension it was a very close game in which the Cardinals barely eked out a win. Should be a great series.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

From your second link SusanFrey:

Momentum is acquiring all of Newfield’s interests below the top of the Georgetown formation at approximately 9,700’, including the Edwards, Georgetown, and Pearsall Shale formations.

That depth curiously ties in with the USGS' revised depth of 3km or 1.9 miles, which is about 10,032' for today's Texas quake. I'd like to know if this Momentum outfit has begun activities in the area.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I felt it here in San Antonio and didn't know it was an EQ until my husband called me.
I thought the guy behind me hit my car, so I was about to get out and start yelling.. lol

And yes, they upgraded it to a 4.8.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MrChaos999

Yes....there are quakes happening in strange places....did you know we had a (small) one in Louisiana last year? It was during the BP thing. It happened near Clinton La......I have NEVER heard of earthquakes in Louisiana....Texas has some occasionally, but it's still uncommon, especially at that magnitude.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Just got home and noticed the 4.8. I'm located about 75 miles from the epicenter, and didn't feel a thing. Of course when it hit, I was just waking up and had a tiny hangover so I might of felt it but probably thought it was my head. For those of you wondering about the fracking issue in Texas, I can tell you that many members of my family are landmen and leasing property in Karnes and the surrounding counties for natural gas. They are fracking everywhere. The natural gas industry here is exploding and they are paying land owners thousands of dollars per acre to lease land for natural gas exploration. I believe the earthquake was directly related to the fracking in the area, the eagleford shale. As a side note, last weekend I was in yorktown, about 30 miles from the area. I was walking over a bridge of some stream or pond in town and my son pointed out to me that all the fish were dead. There were fish floating everywhere and there were bubbles coming to the surface of the water in many different areas. By the time we got to the other side of the bridge there was a strong sulfur smell in the air. This was last Saturday. I wonder if this was related to the fracking and the earthquake.

top topics

join