It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Protests in comparison to protests elsewhere, significantly more peaceful...why?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Because of the 2nd amendment. We have the right to bear arms.

An armed society is a polite society.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Like Somalia, Afghanistan, Yemen, Mexico...?

An armed society is a society where people are armed, nothing more.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by shell69
reply to post by zacherystaylor

I think that's a good point, but almost might lead me to think just the opposite. In the U.S. we hear a lot of freedom of expression "talk" but as the the video shows that's all it is. We've actually been raised more by our public schools and well you know "it takes a village", anyway I would think that we've been raised to obey our government or else... atleast that's what we've seen and are seeing now. In other countries such as Europe they have a lot more freedom in a lot of things and live in a more open society (I hear) maybe that's why they "act out" so much??? I think that in other places however the oppression and unjust leadership has caused them to just "explode" in retaliation.
With that being said, maybe when things get much worse in this country and the scope reaches past our pockets we will also "explode"... it remains to be seen I'm sure.

I would disagree in general. American kids don't pay enough attention in school to obey authority, judging by our low education scores. And the number of drop-outs and eventual no-accounts, obeying authority has never really been a problem in the U.S. The general lack of directed violence comes from the lack of any unified grievances. Most of America is very unhappy with the "authorities" and is protesting/encouraging action against percieved enemies. The problem is, not everyone agrees on the target for their rage. The conservatives blame the overly liberal and useless govornment regulations, as well as individual consumers for generating too much debt. The liberals blame greedy bankers and unethical lending practices and dodgy Wall Street regulation. Yet others blame everything from the World Bank to the NWO. The thing is, people have been protesting and getting pissed off, but their rage has been directed at a multitude of targets.

As far as Europe goes, Europe is certainly more liberal and practical on certain issues (and in my opinion on certain issues, have the right idea). However, in other areas, Europe tends to be far more authoritarian and centralized/uniform than the US, and in some cases, at least in my opinion, goes overboard. So its not really a case of one being "freer" than the other. There are a number of social/political problems plaguing Europe right now, and not all of it is getting media attention, even here.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

The difference between two countries like the United States and UK for example is that UK does not have the right to bear arms.

Once the OWS begins to disregard the rule of law as a whole, bullets will fly. Not Molotov cocktails. Different.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
reply to post by shell69

The reason protesters here are not pulling the same crap violence on private businesses here is cause we are armed. Do you really think shop owners here will sit still for rocks thru there windows? If violence breaks out here it will be very bloody. It won't be police against the citizens, it would be citizen against protester.

No wonder 1% of your population is in jail with thinking like this. Youd spend your life in prison for murder over a broken window?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Because we wanted bad ass protection, so we armed our authorities to the teeth and encouraged them to shoot first ask questions later.

We didn't consider that that might turn against us someday......

I see that in Europe, they always keep that in mind. "Don't let the authorities get too strong because we might have to oppose them one day" seems to be the constant underlying consideration.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Why?

Because, contrary to popular stereotypical belief often most widely promoted by our own vocal minority, we are not a country of arrogant, macho, warmongering, hate-filled, ignorant zealots intent on forcing our wills, beliefs and values on the rest of the world through force and bullying tactics.

In short, we are not a country if swaggering, self-righteous bigoted cowboys.
Our politicians are, and that too will change.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by shell69

American Protests in comparison to protests elsewhere, significantly more peaceful...why?

Uhm...because OWS is a phony revolt started by the left?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I think the American police probably have handled these protests better than people give them credit for. In the UK the police use a kettling tactic, which is basically confinement, blocking off exits and creating an angry crowd and a stand off with the police. It's this tactic that can turn peaceful protests into violent ones. Thats just my opinion from over the pond.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Ok just more and more mindless accusations from you, implying that I am the type who would murder innocents you never cease to amaze. Laws are put fourth to protect civilians but when those civilians choose to ignore it they bring their lawlessness and violence upon themselves. It won't be me, so look no further than the mirror and those who you surround yourself with who have no respect for law and peaceful civility.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It's on your teeth. It's in your water.
2nd

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Originally posted by ohioriver
reply to post by shell69

The reason protesters here are not pulling the same crap violence on private businesses here is cause we are armed. Do you really think shop owners here will sit still for rocks thru there windows? If violence breaks out here it will be very bloody. It won't be police against the citizens, it would be citizen against protester.

No wonder 1% of your population is in jail with thinking like this. Youd spend your life in prison for murder over a broken window?

Errr, no. Because in the US, generally, it is not considered murder to defend one's self and property, especially in the case of looting and rioting. In fact, a number of states and local jurisdictions fully allow rioters and looters to be shot on sight in times of emergency or civil disruption. Beyond that, in many states and jurisdictions, use of deadly force is permitted to protect life and limb in normal times. During the L.A. Riots of 92, a number of business owners were perched on theor roofs with rifles, preparing to whack anyone trying to burn or loot their private property.

So prison time isn't really a big factor for shooting looters or rioters in most parts of the US. Some jurisdictions are different and have idiotic anti-self defense laws, but most don't.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join