It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory search prior to starting a thread?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
These two screen caps explain why this needs to be enforced.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
but if you take time and search you may not get the stars and flags that people crave so much.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
If you bothered reading them you would have had no need to create another useless thread. You need someone to explain this for you? OK. If you look at the time stamps on each of them you'll find that they all happened within the amount of time it takes to type, copy and past and link then post. So the odds are the first four, like I mentioned in my thread, did all search. But good thinking!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
At least SIX threads started on the same day about the same topic, I'm willing to bet none of these members did a search and they all thought they were first.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I cant see the images but your title is basically what I was thinking about 20 minutes ago. Im assuming the screen grabs are about the Gaddafi threads?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
I cant see the images but your title is basically what I was thinking about 20 minutes ago. Im assuming the screen grabs are about the Gaddafi threads?

you are correct...why can't you see the images?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure there's already a thread on this.
link
edit on 20-10-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
You'll notice a lot of the time these threads are posted within minutes of each other. The members could very well have done a search and seen nothing if all were posted in at the same time, or close.

It's an unspoken rule here on ATS, that you search before you post. It's not complicated and we enforce it by closing duplicates. Problem with that is not every mod has access to every forum, therefore on a morning like this where there aren't many mods on, it can take an hour or so for things to be sorted out.

The general rule with duplicate threads is as follows:

You can have one thread in any of the news forums such as BPN or BAN, and one of the same topic in an alternate conspiracy forum such as Political Madness, Other Current Events, General Conspiracies etc.

Two of the same story in the same forum, will always result in one being closed and redirected.

Please alert these threads so that staff can do this quickly and efficiently. If you would be so kind to include a link to the original thread as well, as it keeps us from having to consistently look for those threads.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Reply to post by Thunderheart

Mobile ATS has limitations. I could use the main site but I like the simple, good old black and white.

you should try it you might like it as well.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
touche'

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
When multiple threads pop up around the dame time it doesnt bother me nearly as much as dupes that show up all week long.

I can understand the "heat of the moment" regarding breaking news. Everybody wants to get that thread up and if everybody is doing that about the same time your search wouldnt result in anything anyway.

But when you get a thread posted today on a topic that falls down off the front page then the same topic posted tomorrow then the same topic posted next Tuesday, well, that's pretty irritating. A search should definitely produce results by that time and just the time on the source material should be enough to tell you it's not exactly urgent or breaking.

Then there's just some idiots who dont know how to search. Like "I searched for 'purple monkey dines on eggplant monster testicles' in quotes and got no results!!!" Of course they never bothered to search for "purple monkey" or "eggplant monster" just "purple monkey dines on eggplant testicles."

This tech is 40+ years old. People should know how to search. If you cant find it right away less is more. Check twice or thrice. If your source article is a month old it's here somewhere I assure you.

link

Awesome.
edit on 20-10-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Honestly I have given up thread making because i am no good at it. and i hate getting doc'd points there should seriously be like a tutorial on how to do an awesome thread that doesn't get mod audited (as i call it). but honestly trying to do a thread on ats seems like your trying to beat the papparazzi. LOL.
i just threw in the towel on threads.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Word of caution, do not use ther "term" mandotory, as we do not take that "term" lightly and we do not care how carefull you choose or who you migh represent.

Dazzle me...!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It doesn't need to be mandatory. It can easily be made automatic.

ATS could implement a script, as part of the create OP interface, that automatically performs a search for keywords in the thread title.

Even medium-intelligence level posters can easily identify that there is one, or maybe several posts that already relate to what they are posting.

This would go a long way to help proactively clean house.

Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
but if you take time and search you may not get the stars and flags that people crave so much.

Indeed and the SnF for the hot topics of debate are what some are only posting for. I have used this function before and still made 1 or 2 duplicates but sometimes it seems the SnF addiction drives the multi threads of the same content...

link

LOL

edit on 10/21/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join