It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Califorina.... Who ruined it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The problem with California is the Governmental system itself, more specifically the ability to file initiatives. Initiatives create too much flexibility within the governmental structure and undermines the legislative process. It throws the whole system out of whack. That leads to instability issues and bubbles within economic bubbles.

To address earlier sentiments on immigration:

Immigration has little to do with the demise of California. It cannot be totally dismissed because the change in population demographics will have an affect on local governments and economies; however, increased Latin populations in southern California have not had much of a different impact on the region than any other large population movement into the US or from one region to the next.

in fact, California is defined in many ways by immigration. There are the population movements following the gold strikes in the early 1840's, even before then movement towards the west coast had begun. It would eventually lead to the US gaining control of the territory from the Spanish/Mexicans. There was the large influx of Chinese labor during the late 1850's and 60's which would play a crucial role in the transcontinental railroad. Today is no different. During the dust bowl and depression eras, there was large migration towards the orchards and agricultural for work of any kind, bringing influx of very poor, unemployed workers to compete for much needed jobs.One constant from the history is immigration will always be contested because of the competition.

Edit:wanted to clarify the last comment

edit on 20-10-2011 by cypruswolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Too much social engineering via a politiial ideology by the democrats is Cailforina's problem liberalism run amuck to the point where you have the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

There is nothing that can fix it unless they finally wake up to the fact their policies have to be cut but they don't want to cut they keep adding more.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
California was one the most beautiful states in the union.It still has it all, mountians , valleys , ocean coastlines, rivers, lakes , forests and deserts. With a year round temp. of 70-75. You can still grow almost anything there year round, where other states have to grow more seasonally. Everyone came to California not just from Mexico or other countrys but from other states. What destroyed California is the samething that is destroying most major citys in America , greed, corruption and over population and the lack of ethics and morals of not just of businesses but of all people. I grew up there in the 50s, 60s 70s 80s and 90 and watched as the people changed, and I don't mean on the outside like the color of their skin , I mean on the inside. And it's not just in California.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45
post removed by staff

Some people still don't comprehend that illegal is not a race. Let them play the race card all they want. Facts are facts.
edit on Thu Oct 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Republicans & democrats did most damage.. duh, like they've done to the nation & various nations 1000s of miles away.

As a kid many of my neighbors had decent paying jobs the GM plant in Van Nuys or the Good Year plant in Commerce.. party leaders moved the jobs elsewhere, both places been turned into shopping malls. 2 small examples.

Irony... party leaders conspired to kill mass transit in Los Angeles.. "red car" trains got in the way of GM buses with Good Year tires.. lol

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Well illegal immigration and liberal politics proved unsuccessful.

Maybe some people can learn from it.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I live in California and it's still pretty nice.

However, the state has a huge financial problem. The politicians keep spending more than they take in. Somehow, the politicians haven't realized that the boom days are gone.

So we continue to spend money on social programs that we can't afford. We pay our prison guards better than our teachers. There are way to many people and agencies with their hands out and there is no longer the money to pay them.

So, we are in a period of readjustment.

The solutions are simple but will not be popular. Stop spending on social programs or drastically cut the spending back. Redo the initiative process so any initiative that costs money has to have a source for obtaining the money other than a bond issue paid back by the general fund. Also, for the next 10 years, an politician that proposes a bill that will cost money has to identify the source of the money. It can't come from the general fund. In a sense, we need to tie the hands of the people who have bled us dry.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Republicans & democrats did most damage.. duh, like they've done to the nation & various nations 1000s of miles away.

There are Republicans in California?
I find that hard to believe.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Is that a joke ? Or are you out of touch with reality ?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I love the clueless rants of these hicks who have never lived here,some are good at making fools of themselves,sounds like a case of jealousy

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm going to suggest something way off the radar: Enron.

Back before Enron and its "death star" nonsense the state was flush with cash. Then, overnight, Enron pilfered the entire amount - we still don't know where it went and just like that the state was bust and began making deals with the devil all over the place. Enron produced/produces NOTHING. In manages to get in between two people and hold the exchange hostage to get a fee. Enron's looting of the surplus led to the recall, then the LEAST qualified person on the entire planet became Gov, and then the taxes, the immigration, the finger pointing and so on.

I will admit a huge problem with the state is transplants. CA is like no other place in the world, people come here and simply take their values and impose them at any cost. Builders from NY and other places can't see anything of value in CA architecture so the demolish and build garbage. Folks from all countries come here and simply impose their home land values here. Thousands of morons move to CA looking to be on TV, just like the saw on Entertainment Tonight, the stated is flooded with idiots who seek nothing but fame - they contribute nothing to the state.

Lastly, the state has a flaw in the governing system - propositions which allow the state to gimmick in revenue raising schemes by inspiring so called "grass roots" efforts - they then use the money to plug holes caused by Enron.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
reply to post by newcovenant

I love the clueless rants of these hicks who have never lived here,some are good at making fools of themselves,sounds like a case of jealousy

I am from NY and (most) New Yorkers are not hicks but I cannot speak for anyone else. I am wondering what clueless rant you are talking about because if it is something I said - it was either misunderstood, taken out of context or maybe the reader just inserted their own foolish notions of what was meant because I LOVE California. If there is a State I would like to visit it IS California.

I think folks take themselves and their little opinions WAY TOO seriously. Sort of an inflated view of their own self importance. Like they are managing a small country or something. Quite laughable really.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Hey Mods noticed this thread has caused a lot of trolling and I in no way meant for that to happen or my post to cause anything inflammatory.

If you feel inclined to delete I would understand. Didn't mean to cause trouble.

- Bob

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Crime, drugs, poverty, vanity, ego, weapons, alcohol, violence. Its not who but what.

But if it had to be a 'who' I would say it was You... and me.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Calif is the supreme nanny state.

You can not open a business without permits with fees and a number of agencies watching your every move.

Each of these agencies need money to operate so they get taxpayer funds. very few pay for themselves.

Have a business with a restroom and the mirror is 1/4 inch to high you can be sued.
this is even though there is no state rule on the height that the mirror has to be.

Clearing the weeds out of your yard and cut the wrong weed and you can be sued.

Have a valuable mineral on your property and want to mine it the state will tell you just get the right permits.
Spend a million dollars on getting the permits and the state will give you a million reasons why you will never get the permits approved. Or tell you that you will have to wait 10 years for them to do studies on some endangered rat that may or may not be on your property.
When running a business under a permit and shut down the part of the business that needed the permit and required water testing. the state can come back 5 years later and claim you have not been testing the water even though the test were not required by the permit once that part of the business was shut down.(16 to 1 mine V state water board)

Its come to the point that to run a one person business with no employees you have to hire a law firm just to protect your self from the state.

This has driven many business out of state. along with the businesses went the taxes they were paying and the taxes there employees were paying.

You don't even have to live in or have a business in calif. sell something on E-Bay and and 5 years from now the state of calif may have filed a tax lien on you with your state for not collecting sales tax on sometime you sold.
edit on 21-10-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join