It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The companies that control the world's wealth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

The companies that control the world's wealth

au.finance.yahoo.com

The study found that of the 43,060 transnational corporations (TNCS) in existence, a group of 1,318 companies formed the heart of the world's financial system. (More From Yahoo!7 Finance: The Faces of Occupy Wall Street)

This group could further be distilled to a core group of 147 companies which controlled 40 per cent of the wealth. The core group was dubbed the 'super entity' by the researchers and was largely made up from corporate banks like Barclays and Goldman Sachs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I guess we all knew the scenario was something like this. I've often pondered if someone had sat down and actually worked this out and here it is.

To be honest, I would have thought the core number of 147 companies would have been lower. It's still a scary prospect though. Some choice in competition we have huh

au.finance.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit: Wasn't too sure on where this belonged, so move if need be.
edit on 20-10-2011 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Just a little more information in regards to our owners,
As, they do owe a lot of everything. Like parks in our cities, land, most of everything. Gotta love it.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Some more details:

"When the team further untangled the web of ownership, it found much of it tracked back to a "super-entity" of 147 even more tightly knit companies - all of their ownership was held by other members of the super-entity - that controlled 40 per cent of the total wealth in the network. "In effect, less than 1 per cent of the companies were able to control 40 per cent of the entire network," says Glattfelder. Most were financial institutions. The top 20 included Barclays Bank, JPMorgan Chase & Co, and The Goldman Sachs Group."

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
We were talking about this 'super entity' a few weeks ago over on this thread.

a group of 1,318 companies formed the heart of the world's financial system.
---
a core group of 147 companies which controlled 40 per cent of the wealth

Ok, so my question is how much wealth makes up "the heart of the world's financial system"? If we knew that we could work out what 40% of that is. Then it would be easy to see just how much wealth is controlled by the 147 companies. Anyone know where to download this report? I would really like to take a look.

EDIT: Thanks to the poster above me, the report was in the NewScientist article.

Get it here: arxiv.org...
edit on 20-10-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by aaron2209

Idk 147 ranglers for a few billion cattle seems like thats a pretty small number and a long shot, but who am i, but cattle grazing along...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
They control the world's "wealth", because they know most people are gullible enough to believe in the concept of "wealth" as they define it. Control the definition, control the discourse regarding the means of achievement. Control such means (or the perception thereof), manipulate the ends.

It's as simple as that. If you want to fight these people on their own terms, they've already won.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Just offering some more information.

A study by the World Institute for Development Economics Research at United Nations University reports that the richest 1% of adults alone owned 40% of global assets in the year 2000. The three richest people possess more financial assets than the lowest 48 nations, combined.[6] The combined wealth of the 10 million dollar millionaires grew to nearly $41 trillion in 2008.[7] In 2001, 46.4% of people in sub-Saharan Africa were living in extreme poverty.[8] Nearly half of all Indian children are undernourished, however even among the wealthiest fifth one third of children are malnourished.[9][10]
wiki

Currently, the richest 1% hold about 38% of all privately held wealth in the United States.[3] while the bottom 90% held 73% of all debt.[10]
wiki

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
They control the world's "wealth", because they know most people are gullible enough to believe in the concept of "wealth" as they define it. Control the definition, control the discourse regarding the means of achievement. Control such means (or the perception thereof), manipulate the ends.

It's as simple as that. If you want to fight these people on their own terms, they've already won.

Feel free to define wealth any way you like.....and see how much various other definitions will get you - perhaps a cup of coffee if you also have $3.50....

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
This is already a link by Speculativeoptimist on 12/9/11.

Who Runs the World ? – Network Analysis Reveals ‘Super Entity’ of Global Corporate Control

I was going to do one on this last night then found his thread.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Here is another piece of research with which you can compare your information:

Study shows powerful corporations really do control the world's finances (19-8-2011)

I should probably look at all of this work together ... you never know what might turn up!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Its great that the top 50, have been identified (named and shamed), but what about the full list of 147 ?

Can anyone find a source for that ? I tried a quick search, but came up with nothing

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It's not the powerful corporations to blame exactly.

It is the Labor Unions who are trying to control the powerful corporations.

top topics

join