It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is requiring a photo ID to vote even an issue?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
They do the same in Canada, apparently it is to prevent fraud and stuff, or its some sort of security thing, in elections they have always asked for ID.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypr2011
They do the same in Canada, apparently it is to prevent fraud and stuff, or its some sort of security thing, in elections they have always asked for ID.

We're much tougher on immigration up here, it seems.

My first time voting the ID also served to prove that I was old enough to vote - I didn't look 19 until I was 30...
It ensures that we're legal citizens, of age to vote, and that we're only voting once.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Originally posted by hypr2011

We're much tougher on immigration up here, it seems.

My first time voting the ID also served to prove that I was old enough to vote - I didn't look 19 until I was 30...
It ensures that we're legal citizens, of age to vote, and that we're only voting once.

WOW why would anyone want to make sure you are legal, of age and only get to vote once? that does not make sense to me... I live in america though not much things make sense to me that is done here

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Do you get charged for your ID in Canada, or is it provided by the government? And do you pay some sort of a poll tax there? Just curious, I'm not familiar with the way things work up there.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
I have an idea... it's the smartest idea in the world!!!! get ready for it!!!!!

DONT GIVE ILLEGAL ALIENS GOVERNMENT ISSUED IDS... if they are driving illegally then deport them because they shouldn't be here in the first place...

Intersting watching Alabama's agricultural sector doing a crash and burn because the illegals are fleeing. Not to mention hurricane repairs. Face it...cheap food demands cheap labour. They aren't stealing jobs because they take the jobs us spoiled first-worlders decline. Better to legitimise a system whereby they can do their jobs...and not get screwed out of their pay because they have no protection...and those worthy are offered an opportunity for citizenship.

As to the issue at hand...those on the fringes are entitled to vote, but may not have photo id. (We Canucks carry our health cards even if we don't drive...but that's another debate, eh?). Recall that this is a site where universal id cards are considered the next step in the NWO's nefarious plans.

Can't have it both ways.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

WOW why would anyone want to make sure you are legal, of age and only get to vote once? that does not make sense to me... I live in america though not much things make sense to me that is done here

Voting ID just makes too much sense.
We also get cards mailed to us (voter cards) that tell us where the polling station is that we're supposed to be at, and it has us listed there, they match our voter card with their info, and then check our ID to make sure it also matches. Then it's a paper ballot, they get physically counted, and watchers are watching the counters. Everyone is checked and watched to make it all go very smoothly. I think even the watchers are watched....
Checks and balances make for very little, if any at all, voter fraud.
We're actually very efficient up here.

I'm always amazed at the things I hear about in the US elections.
It gets made so complicated, and goes on for over a year. Up here it takes 5 weeks, start to finish.

I hear of illegals getting state ID, that just makes the state an accomplice in the illegalness of it all, people voting with no ID - we need ID for so much up here, but it sure cuts down on fraud, and identity theft.
Electronic machines that have been proven to be hackable, and they keep using them

It's entertaining, but scary at the same time, being such a close neighbour and all.....
There isn't very much sanity in the elections down there, but so good for the comedians, they have so much to go with...

I really do hope someone good gets in office, but the front runners so far :shk:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwdogg1982

Do you get charged for your ID in Canada, or is it provided by the government? And do you pay some sort of a poll tax there? Just curious, I'm not familiar with the way things work up there.

Our driver's licenses cost $25 per year, might be different in different provinces. I'm not sure what a picture ID card costs for those that don't drive, I've always driven. I'm sure they would be only $10 maximum. Other ID, like medical cards, and social insurance number (SIN) are provided by government.

Everyone here has picture ID by the time they can drink which is 18 or 19, depending on the province.

No poll tax, I don't actually even know what that is....

They go around to the houses, to get the info for voter cards, which we take with us to the polling station particular to where we are. If we cannot get to that one, because of where we work or something, we can arrange to vote at a station where we can get to. All the voter cards are free, it just makes it more efficient, and they can tell from the cards once we've voted, the percentage of the population that actually voted. We hand in the card just before we go and do our vote in a private booth.
ID to match up just has to be any picture ID, and if it doesn't have our proper address, we just bring along our electric or phone bill, to verify address.

****I see from JohnnyCanuck's post we don't actually need the picture. We usually have so much ID of some sort, so I guess that's why. If we have enough things with our name and address, plus the voter card, I guess it works.
edit on 19-10-2011 by snowspirit because: added

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
You know what is really funny?

I have wanted to leave the US for YEARS now and move to Canada... which sounds great in theory if not for one thing...

IT IS HARD AS CRAP

Canada does just let you in because you want to... sure you could go there that's not really a problem but if you want a job or go to school or want a bank account or live like a normal person... GOOD LUCK

They require you to have things like certain amount of money, a degree that can be used to actually help canada in some way, you also cant be a criminal (imagine that they want to keep criminals out of their country)

I however SADLY do not qualify to live in canada or I would SOOO be there right now enjoying myself.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

That's so true, they do make it very hard to be in Canada illegally.
ID for everything.
I even know a guy from Florida, that married a woman up here, and had a son even, and it took 9 years and very complicated paperwork. Thankfully he had a lawyer for the paperwork.

He did have a work visa though, and he was a carpenter, so at least he was able to work full time and have medical and everything.
I found it very strange that you can no longer marry into a country. You used to be able to get in that way.

One would think the US would be harder on the illegal immigrants if they really wanted them out, instead of issuing driver's licenses, and not bothering with ID for stuff, some states even paying for their offsprings schooling.....

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

That's so true, they do make it very hard to be in Canada illegally.
ID for everything.
I even know a guy from Florida, that married a woman up here, and had a son even, and it took 9 years and very complicated paperwork. Thankfully he had a lawyer for the paperwork.

He did have a work visa though, and he was a carpenter, so at least he was able to work full time and have medical and everything.
I found it very strange that you can no longer marry into a country. You used to be able to get in that way.

One would think the US would be harder on the illegal immigrants if they really wanted them out, instead of issuing driver's licenses, and not bothering with ID for stuff, some states even paying for their offsprings schooling.....

Why crack down on illegal aliens they work for cash, less then min wage usually, you don't have to worry about getting insurance for them or workers comp, and of course when they illegally get this money from us they do not pay taxes in fact most of them send a good amount of it back to mexico to their family's I know this because illegal Mexicans use to live next to me and still do and I was friends with some of them.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I can attest that this happened to me also, though I brought the certificate I was given at the courthouse. I was told that was only a souvenir, and had to put my maiden name on the ID or leave without one after waiting for hours and providing the documentation you mentioned.

What a waste of time the DMV is. Involving them in the voting process is like putting a horseshoe on with rusty nails : it won't work and will destroy the foot it is supposed to protect.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Useful illustration of the ways these things can tie together. It is a trial over bingo and gambling, sort of.

But discovered in the investigation was racism connected to disenfranchising black voters in the South.

Here you go:

weldbham.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Canada may not have an illegal alien problem (where would they sneak in from the north pole?), but you do have a very lacks immigration policy. It is easier to get into canada legally then the US, hell even when crossing the border i have no problems getting into Canada but to come back in its a process.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I see from JohnnyCanuck's post we don't actually need the picture.

Actually...the latest Ontario Health cards have photos on them. In the recent provincial election, photo ID was asked for at the polls, but I have no idea what the process was if you didn't have any. Also, we elect 3 different levels of government, and the requirements for each one may differ.

Bottom line, though, that requiring photo id to vote has been used as a form of disenfranchising the poor. No doubt there.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by evs490

I really cant see how anyone doesn't have an ID, you need it for jobs, goods, entertainment, and travel. I know not everyone drives, smokes, drinks etc.. So we are gonna let a small amount of people who chose not to get an ID allow the security of the voting process to be compromised? It is not like they are saying that if you do not have an ID right now you won't be able to get one.

I know. The only real reason I can think of for people to vote without showing ID is so illegals can vote. Can anyone think of a better reason here? I will gladly show my ID to vote. Not a thing wrong with it.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
There's only 1 group that doesn't want photo IDs used at the polls - the liberal Democrats. Want to know why? About half of their "Constituents" would disappear overnight - illegal aliens and dead people would no longer be able to cast a ballot for them. That would make it very hard for them to buy votes with tax-payer money in the way of hand-outs and amnesty promises.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by nwdogg1982
If you lose your ID, most states require you to pay for the replacement. Some states even charge a small fee for obtaining the ID in the first place. By requiring that ID in order to vote, you have just instituted a poll tax. Refer to Amendment 24 of the US Constitution. Otherwise, if you are going to require one, you had better give them away for free, even replacements, no matter how many times someone loses it. And the cost of that would be pretty high.

Well nwdogg1982, I would like to personally congratulate you for providing the one and only accurate response to the OP in this thread.

To require a photo ID of any kind, which is to be obtained at the expense of the voter, is nothing more than a poll tax plain and simple!

I've also noticed that a lot of the posters in this thread seem to be under the impression that just any photo ID will work and that is not the case at all. Here in Texas for instance, a college ID won't work but a Concealed Handgun Permit will, go figure!

If we are to demand photo IDs for voting purposes while maintaining compliance with the 24th Amendment, then it must be done at the expense of the government and without any added cost or inconvenience to the voter. Anything less is a blatantly unconstitutional.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join