It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I "lost" some apps!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Two apps have disappeared from my system. I used them every day, they were Aisleriot (Jumbo Solitaire) and a Weatherbug program.

Ubuntu 11.04
Firefox 7.0.1

I used to have a big ol' icon to launch them. It is nowhere to be found. But they show up under Ubunto Software Center as Installed.

Where are they? How do I launch them now?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
they'll probably be in the last place you look, they usually are.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Two apps have disappeared from my system. I used them every day, they were Aisleriot (Jumbo Solitaire) and a Weatherbug program.

Ubuntu 11.04
Firefox 7.0.1

I used to have a big ol' icon to launch them. It is nowhere to be found. But they show up under Ubunto Software Center as Installed.

Where are they? How do I launch them now?

Had this happen once or twice when I was using Ubuntu, I just uninstalled them reinstalled, and they never did it again.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

And their not in your programs categories lists whatever?

I use Mint 10 on occassion, so if you're just talking about your desktop icons disappearing, I'd check there. Otherwise yeah, the uninstall/reinstall mentioned previously sounds like the first bet...never had anything go missing from mine but tend to mainly work on the windows partition lately.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

I found one of them, it was in the Applications - Instaled button down along the left side of the desktop. I can click on the icon and launch it. How can I get it into the column of icons along the side of the desktop? It's just much easier.

I'm still looking for the other one...found it. Under the Applications - Mostly Frequently Used row. Aislerot is there also. Clicking on Aislerot launches it but clicking Weatherbug does nothing. I'll try reloading it. Thanks for your help everyone.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Have you tried launching the programs from a terminal emulator? Not sure what the executable names are of those programs, but you should find them if you type in the first few letters and hit TAB. If they open up, then maybe its a bug in the unity launcher on ubuntu (i think its a rather terrible UI to be honest lol).

If you do find the program names, then add a *.desktop launcher inside of ~/.local/share/applications, it should be picked up in the menu as long as unity follows the free-desktop standards.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

Good good tip...thanks much!

top topics

join