It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Letter from Goldman Sachs Concerning Occupy Wall Street

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

A Letter from Goldman Sachs Concerning Occupy Wall Street

www.borowitzreport.com

Dear Investor:

Up until now, Goldman Sachs has been silent on the subject of the protest movement known as Occupy Wall Street. That does not mean, however, that it has not been very much on our minds. As thousands have gathered in Lower Manhattan, passionately expressing their deep discontent with the status quo, we have taken note of these protests. And we have asked ourselves this question:

How can we make money off them?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I first saw this posted on Facebook and thought it might be a hoax. Then I found the actual article and still could hardly believe it.

I still can not confirm that this letter is genuine. But I wouldn't be surprised. These investment bankers have done a lot worse than this in the past.

There has been some talk about a some online stores and few artists trying to profit off of the OWS movement. By selling bandanas and Victor masks to the protesters.

It's just another blatant case of Corporate greed. But this one might just take the cake.

www.borowitzreport.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It's a joke, the guy is a comedy writer.

Although, it may not actually be that far off the mark.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
its #ing discusting, they whole point of these protest is not to increase the rich poor divide

we have taken note of these protests. And we have asked ourselves this question:

How can we make money off them?

all the note is doing is reinforcing how much these people are corporate pigs that are addicted to making money even if it #s people over.
edit on 19-10-2011 by definity because: Ah if its a joke then fair enough

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The letter is a farce penned in a book that you can buy that has a number of humorous letters, jokes, and other such.

The book the 'letter; came from

In other words, it's a joke, and not real.
edit on 19-10-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Andy Borowitz is a comedian.
If you click on the read more link,you get this.

www.borowitzreport.com...

It was pretty funny,and not far from the truth.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Now do you see. It's time to hit first. Not with violence but with denial. We take what they want away from them. Bank run November 5th. No it won't affect goldeman directly but if enough of us do it we'll hit hard.

Bank run November 5th. If you think the protests did nothing, let us organize something that will. There are enough useful people around the United States waiting to strike back at the system. Let us give them a 5th to remember

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

this just confirms to me that they do not see people as human beings, they don't care why people feel aggreived,
all they care about is the money making potential of each human being or situation. if anything they do makes people suffer then they are just like o'well who cares.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Here is an article from Time magazine confirming the existence of the Goldman Sachs Rage Fund

www.time.com...

This article is all over the net. Not just from the Borowitz report. I would think that can be considered slander and defamation if it was a false letter.

Just because the letter was included in a humorous book doesn't mean it's a fake. Borowitz and others could get sued in court.
edit on 19-10-2011 by MathiasAndrew because: add text

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

A good satire piece, too.

But if anyone is buying that Goldman satire as "truth", what would they say about this from the Onion?

"It has come to our attention that, due to the inherent risks and hazards it poses, the American flag is simply unfit for general use," said Annin & Company president Ronald Burman, who confirmed that the number of flag-related deaths had noticeably spiked since 2003. "I would like to strongly urge all U.S. citizens: If you have an American flag hanging in your home or place of business, please discontinue using it immediately."

www.theonion.com...

edit on 19-10-2011 by earth2mayavision because: spelling error

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I don't know if it came straight from the horse's mouth, but it's definitely on the horse's mind.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I do believe that it is a satire piece. Nonetheless, it is probably not that far off the mark from what they're actually doing.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
want to point fingers? here ya go

25 People to Blame for the Financial Crisis

www.time.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

Good LIst! However, Franklin Raines, Jamie Gorelick, Jim Johnson, Rahm Emanuel, Chris Dodd and Barney Frank should be added to it.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Saturday night live did a funny skit similar to your Op. Inviting people to tourist from around the globe, it was hilarious.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The reality of it is that the folks at Goldman Sucks, or any of the other places where the money goes, don't give a wobblie wart-covered rats behind about any of the 'commoners' with any of the Occupy movements anywhere outside the fact that they most likely firmly believe they are:

a) vermin
b) deluded if they think they'll accomplish anything and
c) fun to watch in a pull-the-wings-off-of-flies kinda way.

They know they won't make money off of the Occupy-ers rather they'll continue making money latching on to the government teat which is funded by thw Occupy-ers who are too busy occupying to notice they're getting the fiscal equivalent to 'jail sexed' while they're busy with their little urban camp-out.

edit on 20-10-2011 by GoalPoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
It does look like a pretty good capitalist joke. That said, I wouldn't put it past any of the financial and corporate giants to seek ways to exploit for profit OWS, or any other popular movement. That's what corporate America does: looks to exploit anything and everything shamelessly, if enough profit can be squeezed out of it.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Well, you know what they say the best part of comedy is... the truth

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

The point of satire at time is to jerk someone's chain. Being able to use truth or perceived truth makes the mental whiplash effect even more comical.

Though sometimes its not so much whiplash as a "Well damn, that's just the way it is...."

M.

top topics

join