It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery: Why is NASA training astronauts in Medieval Weaponry

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I have good info that NASA contact a jazz band to teach the astronauts to play various jazz instruments specially the sax,of course armor dressed.Any idea why they are doing that?A concert on the moon?They say something about alcohol prohibition to come.The name of the man that contact the band was Al Capone!!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

don't be so sure about that! There is much more to using a broadsword than slashing and hacking. Properly used, a broadsword can be used to block a blow the user's back as the weilder of said weapon is preparing for a forward strike. I will admit that the marterial used in a samurai sword is superior to that of the broadsword, but much depends on the person wielding the weapon. (To my knowledge, Scots higlanders didn't routinely wear armour, so that didn't slow them down.) Not trying to derail the thread, but thought that needed to be thrown out there.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
Let's say this is not a rumor, imo it is but a hobby maybe? if they really wanted to learn close combat skills Martial Arts will ALWAYS win against Medieval combat.

A knight with a broadsword is no match against a Samurai, or a real ninja trained with a katana.

Well, these are different scenarios.

Knights with broadsword fought as part of an army, this is distinct from 1 on 1 personal combat.

I wouldn't underestimate a good Western army from 1500 vs a Japanese army from the same period.

In the later periods the Western weaponry became more specialized and bifurcated into army combat vs personal weaponry in 1600's/1700's. Armies used guns and artillery.

The rapier, a lighter long weapon is characteristic of this age [personal defense weapon of the aristocracy] and more comparable with the Japanese Samurai in terms of being designed for one one one combat (though the katana type of weapon uses more slashing technique like the cavalry sabre). In a medieval army environment, the guys with the armor and broadsword will win. In a less armored one-on-one scenario the guy with the rapier or japanese sword will win.

As a puncture weapon the rapier is quite effective and deadly with appropriate technique (footwork!).

Modern sport fencing (a western semi-martial art) foil and epee come from training techniques for the rapier type of weapon.
edit on 21-10-2011 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

I have personally seen a zombie, so they are already here.

And they are not zombies, they are demon possessed people with a nice, new, shiny name.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Fellow ATS member blocula posted in another thread the following link which might explain why NASA is training astronauts in Medieval Weaponry:

"These species don’t knock on your door and ask to come in, or stand on a curb waiting for you. They simply materialize near you... Good old barbaric warfare employing machetes and swords is apparently what works. A sword or knife never jams or runs out of ammunition... One friend who fights them provided me with the following advice:

“Sharpen the blade sharp enough to shave with and paint the entire blade black.”

Apparently he found that they don’t see it coming when the blade is painted black.

"They have been mutilating and decapitating my horses. I’ve shot them outside but they keep coming. You don’t want to discharge any firearm indoors, so I use a machete and simply hack them to pieces. It makes a mess that I have to clean up. They just disappear. You can count to about 20 and they vanish. Any blood that leaves their bodies stays behind."

...Clearly some of these exo-reptiles have highly acidic blood. In one case, the blood was so acidic it ate through the surgical stainless steel blade of a knife."

Grays and Reptilians May Be Interdimensional

This might explain why NASA is training its astronauts in the martial arts? It could very well be that technologically advanced interdimensional entities with access to Earth's immediate outer space can be brought to abduct or attack NASA astronauts and have the ability to deactivate their weapons? Also, just like the person quoted above who preferred to not discharge firearms inside his home, we can expect that NASA would recommend that their astronauts NOT use firearms inside a spacecraft, for obvious reasons. This would leave only Medieval Weaponry to defend themselves against alien assailants such as Draco Reptilians or small Gray or larger Mantis Insectoid creatures. I find this theory worth considering as I doubt there would be any other utility to perfecting their skill in using a mace or double bladed axe.

LINK to blocula's ATS thread

Getsmart

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Thanks OP this thread caught my imagination because I am currently reading (half way through) TIME LINE by Michael Crichton in it the people who go back in time are forbidden to take any modern weapons or materials.

In an Arizona desert a man wanders in a daze, speaking words that make no sense. Within twenty-four hours he is dead, his body swiftly cremated by his only known associates. Halfway around the world archaeologists make a shocking discovery at a medieval site. Suddenly they are swept off to the headquarters of a secretive multinational corporation that has developed an astounding technology. Now this group is about to get a chance not to study the past but to enter it. And with history opened to the present, the dead awakened to the living, these men and women will soon find themselves fighting for their very survival--six hundred years ago. . . .
www.amazon.com... Fantastic book and now a film

edit on 4-12-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I can understand why normal guns and stuff are not particularly useful in space, due to the recoil. I can imagine firing a big ole shot gun and being thrown back into the porta-cabin toilet cubicle which probably isn't useful when your trying to deal with general zod and his crew on the moon.

I reckon they are just team building and stuff like that. I reckon your boss might be worried that this is now plastered on ATS though... Open Source Centre are watching and you may find that deal cancelled

Timeline... that is such a great film, I love that film.

Dae

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wayfarer
Odds are he is the premier Medieval and Renaissance martial artist in the world (specifically in his experience and breath of scope across the many different weapons of the era), so it makes sense if NASA wanted the best that they would go to him.

Heya hun, Happy New Year and all that!

So, did NASA hire him or not? If its a secret, I understand but... you could just nod yes or no maybe..?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Wayfarer

the only reasonable explanation I could give is this-

Obviously projectile weapons would be dangerous on todays space craft. So they are teaching them hand to hand combat.
The purpose I believe, is for any upcoming long term manned missions, like to mars for example.
In the unfortunate case that an astronaut goes crazy and needs to be restrained, then this would be the best method.

thats all i have

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
For those who don't believe in Aliens this might be to fight off the Kung Fu Chinese spacionauts who are about to join them up there? Yet it makes more sense that they'd need this to fend off Creatures entering the spaceship capsule through its walls without needing to open up the hatch? Such a scenario does remind us of the countless Earthbound abduction stories numbering in the many thousands. As the Aliens allegedly abduct people by going right through solid walls to then take them up into outer space in their UFOs, what is to stop them from abducting Astronauts? Maybe a two-headed axe...?

GS

edit on 2-1-2012 by Getsmart because: If I was alone up there I'd want to have a trident and snake net as Gladiator weapons!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayfarer

Very strange request from NASA...

Maybe these weapons are the best weapons they can manufacture themselves from raw materials and if you make them you sure must know how to use them.

Which make you think that these austonauts will go to a place without ....gun-powder...or a place without the ingredients to make gunpowder??

I don't know what to make of it......its weird...really weird...

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join