It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery: Why is NASA training astronauts in Medieval Weaponry

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wayfarer

tazers would work in a space craft and be more efficient
or catle prods

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Read a book called "The Forever War". The humans invented an energy bubble that rendered all power sources useless inside its sphere. Therefore the space marine reverted to swords, darts and spears to fight the alien enemies.

Perhaps we have created such an energy bubble.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I'm surprised you even came out to openly tell us who your customers are; is'nt there a clause in their (NASA) contracts? What does your employer think about employees discussing their Govt business contracts or potential contracts on a public forum?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Unfortunatley, NASA didn't give him an explanation of the relevance or need for such training, so I now pose the question to my intrepid conspiracy theorists, since the majority of my organizations musings have been just that (consipiracy theories).

Ok...you asked for it (remember that!)!

My theory is that NASA is really part of and a public front for clandestine scientific research and missions.

It seems an obvious conclusion that NASA (or some other agency that has passed this onto NASA for experimentation) has actually discovered and perfected time travel.

They must have either found a wormhole or Einstein-Rosen bridge that connects the present to the middle ages.

Hence the need for medieval weaponry and dress. If the NASA time travellers went back with modern dress and weapons it would corrupt the time line, or at the least might be lost and discovered on an archaeological dig in the present day.

Even modern fabrics would create havoc if the medieval locals discovered them, same with weapons.

A linen shirt and woollen trousers, with a sword or long bow wouldn't arouse suspicion, a Gortex coat and walking boots, with a 9mm side arm would.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Sounds to me like a bunch of NASA Geeks need an exercise program, and they choose Grog, Winches, and axes!!!!

World of Warcraft
Role Pay
Star Trek

its obvious...if true.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I can see an awesome new children's book, SCA Goes into Space.

People seem really preoccupied with the extraterrestrial lately. Between aliens, rogue comets, missing planets, burned out suns, and monster flairs - what's next? I think I've seen around 15 extraterrestrial cataclysm predictions just in the last three months. Now we have SCA armor re-entering the atmosphere and landing on a kitchen table in New York.
edit on 20-10-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Might it be to enhance the astronauts hand -eye co-ordination?
I used to fence and it really sharpens up your reflexes.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Maybe just because it is a wonderful way to stay in shape?
When I started practicing my muscle tone got better over my entire body.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
How well would Earth gravity training translate to zero gravity? I mean, swinging a sword in space is not like swinging one on earth, at all. Maybe what we have here is someone wasting tax money for personal use or maybe the person that called wasn't even with nasa

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom
Time travel to past periods where such skills may be necessary?

Or maybe they are just bored out of their wits?

Check out the movie "Timeline"

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ACErimmer

I think the old time travel paradox thinking is based on limited knowledge of the physics involved in and operating the Universe.

There's thinking that a paradox would not happen, as it would be impossible for it to happen in the first place (the grandfather paradox), instead the thinking is leaning towards additional dimensions being created for each paradoxical event.

In the example you give, going back and killing your grandfather before your father was born, would mean you were never born in order to go back and prevent your birth, hence the paradox right?

Well, you could go back and kill him and still be born as per the current timeline if another dimension was created when you travelled back. The 'time machine' is effectively not a time machine, but a dimensional travelling machine. Y

ou leave our dimension (with it's timeline) and enter another dimension, exactly the same as ours apart from the fact that it is a dimension that was always going to have the early death of your grandfather and non birth of your father and all of his line (you). That way, you could quite merrily kill the grandfather in the alternate dimesion, without causing a paradox in our dimension, where your grandfather (and his line) was always destined to have lived.

There are probably infinite dimensions, encompassing infinite variations..we just travel to a different although very, very similar dimension to avoid the paradox question.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I am so disappointed.

I had imagined Heinlein's Power Armor of at least hand-held phasers... and all we are going to get are broadswords?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Interesting thoughts all around.

I just got done reading the Forever War graphic novel. Humans had developed a stasis field technology that basicly stopped time and in turn all technology from functioning and the soldiers were forced to use swords and bows as primary weapons.

The only real reason the OP reminded of Forever War was in the graphic novel is because the transport depicted look like NASA shuttles.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I could see where medieval fighting would be a closer comparison to fighting while in a space suit. It would be hard to move like a ninja while wearing a suit of armor. Maybe they are training for the possibility of what might be out there. It is just like us humans to prepare for war before there is any indication of hostile actions towards us. I would think that anyone more advanced than us would realize the futality of aggression except for self presservation. Maybe they are vain enough to think we will be the smartest of those we meet and anticipate aggression towards us.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
If you were going to send people back to the medieval times, you would want them to fit in. Also, if they made it there, there would be some evidence of their influence in our recorded history.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I'm wondering why they would choose your friend versus someone from special forces or a professional who has been trained in specialized hand to hand combat etc. Not to discount your friend's skills but unless he's a professional I don't see why they would ask him to train anyone.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
because aliens watched starwars and nasa is worried so there training all there astronauts how to fight with swords just incase we can get a hold of some lightsabers too. i heard george lucis is going to sue the aliens. so i think we will be safe from alien attacks.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by defuntion

My guess is some kind of team builing excercises...
I doubt it's anything more than that...
Sorry

This seems like the most likely answer.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Sorry peeps but i'm not buying this story, i think your guy got himself a prank call. Damn kids!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

My theory, the ballistic guns we have don't work in space, so switch to close-range weaponry and bows and arrows.

However this a theory going off of what I have learned from soft particle physics.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join