It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery: Why is NASA training astronauts in Medieval Weaponry

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
interesting thread.
If they were interested in training in full armor, etc, then mobility could be the answer,...... however, if they were inquiring about actual WMA ( Martial Arts or weapons) techniques or strategies, I would think there more to it than just a cool workout in heavy gear.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

This is what I thought of. Sending our smartest back in time to gather info. While there they may encounter trouble and pulling an uzi might get some attention. I feel many would just die of fright if they pulled out some automatics.

Peace to all.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I would suggest the muscles used to use such weapons, are similar muscles you may use, or need the most of because of deteoration on long travels.... Perhaps i'm getting far off track.. It definately has to do with space travel, or time travel, and perhaps for a long period of time goes by during the trip? Maybe we aren't being told about some creatures that were faught against in Medieval times, and so they need those weapons to fight them again when they return.

Reptilians

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
I would suggest the muscles used to use such weapons, are similar muscles you may use, or need the most of because of deteoration on long travels.... Perhaps i'm getting far off track.. It definately has to do with space travel, or time travel, and perhaps for a long period of time goes by during the trip? Maybe we aren't being told about some creatures that were faught against in Medieval times, and so they need those weapons to fight them again when they return.

Reptilians

I would think there would be easier ways to train astronauts to use muscles in space than Western Martial Arts and medieval battle training ( though that would be ALOT more fun than boxercise :lol)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayfarer

Sounds like we are going to have to battle ET using hand to hand combat...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Can we say LIGHT-SABRES WHOOPEE!!!!!!! maybe nasa got their hands on the tech to make them now they need to know how to use em sweet!!!! May the force be with them ('
')
edit on 10/19/2011 by Immune because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Somebody actually invented a lightsaber, only to realize they had no idea how to actually wield one...

...that's my guess.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Medieval weapons have quite a heft to them, they require absolute deliberate motions to use effectively. I've used a few, but the people I was using them against were so fat and out of shape that I could defeat them flailing wildly. However, all things being equal, it can be quite the mind game.

Perhaps they are just getting them ready for moving hefty objects in space with care and forethought.

Or it's just a morale boosting activity.

Who knows, NASA hemorrhages money so it could be anything.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This sounds like the start of either a REALLY fun video game or a REALLY good and surreal movie/anime. It's also very strange. Maybe they are just thinking of the possibility of finding other life forms who are not advanced yet and use medievil-type weapons along with the "less collateral"? Just a theory.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This is what's going to happen.

They train the astronauts in older styled weapons. They send them up to space next year. TSHTF down on earth, the elite go to their bunkers, we blow ourselves up, then after awhile the astronauts come down and re-establish order

Maybe I should think about my theory some more... But I've always thought of doing something like that, where you send up a bunch of people if you knew there would be a superstorm or something (OK I am thinking of 'the day after tomorrow' movie) and then they would come back down a few months later once everything is settled... but then what?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The ISS is about to go all medieval on the Chinese space station,

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wayfarer
reply to post by 46ACE

I do, but not in any context related to my Martial Arts Organization (wife loves the rennfaire shopping experience). In fact, my organization staunchly distances itself from groups like SCA and rennfaire fight troupes for the very reason that what they do isn't historically accurate. We train only from historic sources, use only historic training tools, and fight(spar) at high speed with minimal safety equipment (exactly like it was done 500 years ago).
edit on 19-10-2011 by Wayfarer because: spelling

edit on 19-10-2011 by Wayfarer because: more spelling

My group tried to join the SCA a few years ago, and I have to agree with you there. We do a lot in the way of demonstration and education with a healthy dose of volunteer events. I've got to tell you that the idea of NASA contacting you folks for training is more than 'odd'. I ran this one past my 'brothers' and our consensus is that they must have an emergency contingency they're preparing for. But why NASA and not the military at large? An EMP would knock out electronics, rendering most modern weapons useless... but in the late medieval period, there were guns. Why not learn musket or archery? Why swordplay? (We call it play... they call it dangerous)

This is totally not running with scissors.

I would imagine they are expecting hand to hand combat, but without a sword, you could use just about anything.. a pipe, a stick... it's the technique they're interested in in my humble opinion. Maybe they're not looking at space applications at all. Perhaps they're preparing for something closer to home? As far as the discipline goes, they could obtain that with any martial art, but they chose historically correct swordsmanship? AND WHY would they not just take training from the armed forces? Why is it only NASA and not the whole armed forces?

My group has an idea that perhaps at some point they may be looking to colonize another planet. Depending on the magnetism there, our technology may not work. Perhaps they would want astronauts to be prepared in case of a less than perfect landing that destroys the battery charger?

Of course this is all speculation, perhaps they ARE going back in time.. and if that's the case, they should just send the experts like you and me
Why should they have all the fun?!?

~edit~ I don't believe it's for the armor/space-suit idea... mobility is limited in both, but if you cut your space-suit, you're up the creek.. and by the footage I've seen, space-suits offer more mobility AND they are lighter in weight!
edit on 19-10-2011 by Invariance because: see ~edit~ note in post

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Maybe your friend will charge them $1500-$3000 for training. When Nasa is done with it, it will look like they paid $150,000 for the training. And this is how they hide money. Do you get it now? LOL.

Ever wonder why so many gov't agencies do weird or senseless things? Easiest way to hide or take money from the budget and pocket it or move it somewhere else.
edit on 19-10-2011 by J.Son79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Here are a few possibilities:

1. Space Pirates

2. Space Odin

3. Gunpowder won't burn without oxygen

4. Space dragons

I'm torn between 1 and 2

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeyBones

Well you noticed in the star trek programs the Klingons all used batliffs and pointy knives and there time was in the far future. So I don't see anything odd about them teaching folks how to use knives, daggers, swords, war maces, spikes clubs, spears, those fun razor chains the chinese have and lots of other stuff. Projectiles in zero-g won't go as far as in an atmosphere. But a good slice with a blade will rip apart space suits and cut off limbs no matter where you are. So its good to know this stuff.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I like the time travel theory lol.
But perhaps the nerds there have joined to make a medieval group.
Kinda like how they used to make star wars meet ups

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I agree to be able to survive when they travel to the past after all "non government scientists" have finally figured out how to travel faster then the speed of light and since we all know that the government science is always min of 30years ahead of non government science and the ability to travel faster then the speed of light is required for time travel.... there you go

but I would think nasa would just bring back with them some plasma weaponry but maybe no because they wouldn't want to chance it falling into the pasts hands?

very interesting stuffs

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wayfarer

Perhaps NASA was challenged by the ANUNNAKI, for an old school duel, with swords, shields and stuff. Perhaps they already returned and are more bored than never. They picked up their champion to fight against NASA champion, to decided the fate of mankind. Or perhaps there's a mothership parked near Earth, read to fire an epic EM pulse onto this planet and disable all devices and weapons of men and send us back to prehistory. In this case there's nothing the US government can't do, besides start training the military with medieval weaponry. Or in another extreme case, NASA is going to land a secret mission is some moon of this solar system, inhabited by primitive humanoids evolved from rodents and the astronauts intend to impress the natives and be worshiped as gods... Seriously, not mocking the OP or anything, but I don't know what else to say on this thread... I'm definitely running out of ideas.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
If I had to wager a guess, and I excuse the naughty language I'm about to use as I can't think of another way to put it.

For #s and giggles. Or I guess space combat but honestly imagining astronauts swinging swords in space where its zero-g gravity would be a very laughable scene.

EDIT: I didn't know there was a profanity filter.
edit on 10/20/2011 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
I agree to be able to survive when they travel to the past after all "non government scientists" have finally figured out how to travel faster then the speed of light and since we all know that the government science is always min of 30years ahead of non government science and the ability to travel faster then the speed of light is required for time travel.... there you go

but I would think nasa would just bring back with them some plasma weaponry but maybe no because they wouldn't want to chance it falling into the pasts hands?

very interesting stuffs

Ok, the time travel theory... But I doubt that time travelers with a summer training on medieval weapons, will make any difference against ancient men trained in the arts of steel blades, since they were 5 years old.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join