It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery: Why is NASA training astronauts in Medieval Weaponry

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Since we are only left to conjecture I will throw my hat in: The armor, being bulky and unwielding, much like the astronauts space suits may provide valuable training in mobility. Regardless if it is a sword or a wrench, moving in such armor as full plate must be similar to moving in an astronaut's suit.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Wonder what planet they're attempting to bully?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The head of my organization is not the kind of individual to entertain the notion of a 'team-building' exercise, mostly because the martial arts of the Medieval and Rennaisance era's are pretty much lost and the organizations efforts to study, learn, and practically apply the techniques of surviving historic manuals are his main livelyhood, and therefore any non-cursory information on the subject would be kept within the organization only. Although he did not explicitly inform us of this, I can pretty well guarantee he would not have even entertained the notion unless it was very much worth his while (since this would be the first time he would teach outsiders), and as mentioned above with NASA being strapped for cash I can't imagine them frivolously spending money like that (although it is the governement).

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayfarer

Or perhaps they are time traveling to medevil times. Or maybe through a stargate to another world like ours from medevil times...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
So?

youtu.be...
Let me guess O.P. renaissance fairs?

edit on 19-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
70's Disney flick predicts the future? (past??)

Unidentified Flying Oddball, also known as The Spaceman and King Arthur, (1979) is Disney’s film adaptation of Mark Twain’s A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. It was directed by Russ Mayberry. Subsequently re-released in the United States under the titles The Spaceman and King Arthur and A Spaceman in King Arthur’s Court, and directed by Russ Mayberry, the film starred Dennis Dugan as astronaut Tom Trimble who unintentionally travels back in time with his look-alike android Hermes. Trimble’s NASA spacecraft travels faster than the speed of light, landing him and the android near King Arthur’s Camelot, where – with the aid of their 20th century technology – they must defeat a plot by the evil Sir Mordred and Merlin to oust King Arthur from the throne.

en.wikipedia.org...

This movie is a must see BTW...
Do you wear 'Contact'

Who was it in the past that said in the future also "I don't know how WW3 will be fought... But I do know WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones(or swords
)"
... O-YEAH!!!... Alex Jones
... And don't forget about Next weeks MoneyNuke fundrasier to help spread the doom&gloom of the caveman war coming soon to a 'Quantum Blue Beam' mind theater all around U

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Once WWIII breaks out there might be a little problem between the US-Russian astronauts on the International Space Station.

The Russians would hand them their rear or pull the plug per se and all die.

We may start to see a "Dead Man Valve" carried by Russian-US Astronauts on the ISS....if one dies...they all die.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicWaterGate

Who was it in the past that said in the future also "I don't know how WW3 will be fought... But I do know WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones(or swords )"... O-YEAH!!!... Alex Jones

I hope you are joking --
Einstein is the person that quote is from.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I really like the time-travel idea. Especially if the time-travling astronaughts were wanting to "fit-in" and role play to turn the tides of a VERY specific point in history. Anyway scifi aside...

Anyone venture a guess of what the ancients would carve/sculpt and make pictures of if astronaughts went back in time??

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

This is one of the strangest ATS thread titles ever.

Well, I guess if we are to assume that these NASA people are going to be expected to use what they learn then why dueling? And if they are going somewhere that they will have to use it how long do you realistically think it will take to turn these guys in to competent duelists? One year to learn left from right and another to learn what to do? So maybe 2 years? Because otherwise I think they would be fooling themselves.

That's why I think, despite how much fun the thread title is, that it is something along the lines of what other members have been saying; this is some kind of human resources thing. Plus, no one is doing anything at NASA anyway, they have plenty of time on their hands. A group of them probably called on their own and said NASA to get him interested. I kid you not. I am not just being facetious.

Or maybe they are looking to start up their own Medieval Times dinner theater in order to fund themselves. Now I am being facetious.

edit on 19-10-2011 by Frater210 because: .

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

I do, but not in any context related to my Martial Arts Organization (wife loves the rennfaire shopping experience). In fact, my organization staunchly distances itself from groups like SCA and rennfaire fight troupes for the very reason that what they do isn't historically accurate. We train only from historic sources, use only historic training tools, and fight(spar) at high speed with minimal safety equipment (exactly like it was done 500 years ago).
edit on 19-10-2011 by Wayfarer because: spelling

edit on 19-10-2011 by Wayfarer because: more spelling

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Dissapointly (as usual) this explanation wins the Occam's Razor test so far.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Maybe guns dont work in space?

even if there was some time travel goin on id assume they'd be able to take guns back with them no?

sooooo yea...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whatwentwrong11001
Maybe guns dont work in space?

even if there was some time travel goin on id assume they'd be able to take guns back with them no?

sooooo yea...
Guns not working in space? Seriously? You do know that the chemical propellants pushing rockets uses the same physical principles as a bullet shot from a firearm, right?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicWaterGate

Actually it was Einstein who said that, Einstein.

I’ve always wanted to say that. Thanks!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
maybe they just gave them a week of fun... having your head in space all the time makes more down to earth things fun, i would assume.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Sometimes I am completely oblivious to the World around me. I am at odds with writing this but I felt that the synchronicity might explain something.

Maybe!

Today, I received an "invite" through my youtube channel at "becoming friends" with someone out there. I do not post videos of any importance and aside from my ramblings between videos (those that I subscribe to) I cannot imagine anyone wanting to be "my friend". Especially given the few hate messages I have received because of my "choice" of channels that I comment on.

No biggy really, but here is what caught me; when I got the invite I went to that members channel page and on it is this video:

It didn't really make sense to me and I did not answer the person's request, however, take a moment to view this video and just about 30 second mark. One guy asks the other guy during a "training" session with wooden swords, "what would your boss say if he knew you were training someone like me?". The remainder of the video actually flashes back and forth from the actual guy learning and his girlfriend in the car. They both are the picture on this channel's avatar so I am assuming this is not something "made-up".

In the video it describes an entity called "The Tracker", where I suppose (based on the Christian theme of the channel) represents a well-trained killer who is set to "take out" the (I don't know what to call them), the Christians! (I am guessing as I am at a loss at understanding why they say 2011-2026 and not actually saying who).

OK, I am off my rocker here! Could I be implying that NASA will be training a force of "Trackers"? LOL Wow! They (presumably) would be during a time when there are no guns, I suppose, which isn't too hard to imagine considering what effects a worldwide cataclysm might cause on reloading and creating viable gun-powder. Could it be possible that our Sun or some other NASA-related phenomenon will "wipe out" the use of weapons such as our modernized guns? Odd really to think about!

Yeah, I am off my rocker! I know there will be something of the sorts but I would never have thought in this way had I not run into this thread! Seriously! On the same afternoon that I accidentally watched some very odd video? I was tempted to write the person and ask them, but I am not even going to set them as "friends", those that are listed are listed because I wanted them there! I do not want some strange youtuber following me and listing them makes it easier for them to track me. They can still follow and see those videos I do view, anyone can, but I am not involved in that way with youtube.

Strange guess I would guess!

The "Time Traveling" Theme seems more plausible now that you have read my post!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour

Originally posted by kalunom
Time travel to past periods where such skills may be necessary?

Or maybe they are just bored out of their wits?

this..

Yep, they don't have space shuttles to play with any more.............

second.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I used to do heavy stick in the SCA

The one reason I could see for learning how to use medieval weapons involves the bulky suits NASA employs for its Astronauts. Its not so much to get them all martial and violent, but getting used to working with big bulky suits and the body mechanics of using tools while in big bulky suits.

The other aspect of contrasting knights in armor with Astronauts , is that the two kinds of suits, are about protection and functionality. So I could see it as a NASA field design problem team going and looking at how folks of the past dealt with certain problems, so they could solve a problem there are having now. Even if they went to see how a group like the SCA which deals with armor and weapons, are doing it today.

Then there is one last bit of wisdom.

Even a primitive weapon applied by an expert, can be deadly.

M.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

So NASA wants to get medevil on some ones ass ? Huh !
Or maybe they just need to protect something in space
like Uranus ? Hell I don't know why they want to get all dark ages.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join