It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something to Consider

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Not sure if this has ever been posted before or the veracity of this but felt it was worth while for a post.

In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinborough, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage."

The United States of America RIP
The Obituary follows:

Born 1776, Died 2012
It doesn't hurt to read this several times.

Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law in St. Paul , Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the last Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Obama: 19 McCain: 29
Square miles of land won by: Obama: 580,000 McCain: 2,427,000
Population of counties won by: Obama: 127 million McCain: 143 million
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Obama: 13.2 McCain: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory McCain won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of the country.

Obama territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in low income tenements and living off various forms of government welfare..."

Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the "complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegal's - and they vote -
then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years.

Pass this along to help everyone realize just how much is at stake, knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom..

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mantarey

While I certainly can't say I've enjoyed the Obama administration for reasons I expected ahead of time, this is a BIT of a silly numbers game as not all voters in the states that went to Obama/Mccain and vice versa voted solely for that candidate (and other related goofiness in these statistics), and Obama did still win the popular vote by number of citizens voting (was not an electoral decision).

Additionally - I honestly shudder to think of a Mccain presidency. Neither choice was a good one, and this is an excellent illustration of why we need attention and participation by EVERYONE during the *PRIMARY ELECTION CYCLE* to make sure the right candidates are being paid attention to and ending up as the options during the general national election.

Otherwise, generally agreed with the progression pointed out, and it makes me wish people would realize and adhere to the fact that the US was supposed to be a constitutional republic and not a democracy, and that there was no authority built in the fedgov's contract with these states to vote themselves, or anyone else, any special favors.

Take care.
edit on 10/19/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Thanks - I felt kinda left out in the last election myself, almost wrote in Buggs Bunny! LOL

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mantarey

A LOT of us felt left out, friend.

I wasn't able to bring myself to vote in the general election as I could not support either of them, regardless of holding my nose. And one thing that twists me off is hearing people say "Oh, I like so-and-so, but they can't win!", so they don't support the candidate they love.

Guess what? If every knucklehead saying that would just shut up and vote their conscience instead of trying to play odds like it's a friggin' horserace and you just want to pick the winner (seriously...is there a prize or something for ending up with someone who doesn't represent you, as long as they're popular?), those people that can't win - probably would...because they tend to be the ones a LOT of people actually like.

Rgh.

edit on 10/19/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I wrote in Ron Paul. It wouldn't have mattered who became president. We would have ended up in the same place just by different routes. It's all a big game and we;'re the pawns. People have to wake up to that fact --- and fast. The President is just a face. What goes on in the country is way beyond his/her control. They're just put in place to sell it to all the rest of us and apparently they continue to do a good job of that.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Seems like we're both onto something. i posted this yesterday.

Thread i posted yesterday

new topics

top topics

join