It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Play The Guitar/Bass

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Jazzerman, although i havent played live for some time, i relate to what you say. although my bands songs were very structured, my bass lines were never the smae twice... the root notes wer of course the same but i love to play different scales each time. You'd be suprised how the feel of a song can change jst by changing the scale the Bass line is played from.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I hear you...the bass is very important to me because I listen to it primarily for timing and form. A good bassist can make or break a song, and for that I admire them. Sometimes when I'm (for lack of better words) "in the groove" I forget completely about scales, timing, etc. and just release everything I have and don't care if I'm even following the other instruments...quite free form Jazz like Ornette Coleman or Miles Davis would be proud of. In those moments, where I completely just "go for it" have come my best musicianship because I'm letting it flow naturally out of me. It a great high, and makes the whole process worthwhile.

PS- If you don't mind me asking asian...what type of music do you play, since you said it was a little more structured? The most highly structured music I play is Swing Jazz, but even that has a lot of breathing room.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I play and write my own death metal on guitar i can play a bit of bass too.

2 songs i have just written are: Flesh F***er and Internal Organs Removed

[Edited on 8-9-2004 by drunk]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
2 songs i have just written are: Flesh F***er and Internal Organs Removed
[Edited on 8-9-2004 by drunk]

Hmmm...maybe I should form a Death Metal/Jazz combo with you. Do you think that would work? Just kidding of course. I actually like to take sheet music from all types of different music and rearrange them for Jazz groups to play. Its kind of fun what I come up with sometimes.

PS- I wasn't taking a dig at your music so I hope it did not come across as such. I'm just glad that more people share the musical journey and have a good time creating something that is unique in this world

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
My last band was a punk band. Quite restrictive creatively for every bar the bassist i feel. But i really play anything rock (except for really heavy stuff). I've also been working on some hip-hop grooves as well.

I wouldnt say i was the best bassist in the world, or even out of my group of muso friends, but for what i do i feel my skill is sufficient and i keep improving. I havent pick up my bass or a month or so now coz i have been wiritng songs on my accoustic guitar as i've just really started to learn how to play it even though i've had it for years... i figured i needed to expand my horizons.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
i figured i needed to expand my horizons.

As long as you always try to do that with music...then your alright in my eyes, and in the eyes of most artists. Of course that goes with anything in life, and you can't go wrong with that type of attitude.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
There were 2 bands who did jazz death metal they were called Atheist and Pestilence but now they are defunct.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BangorangRufio
You don't even have to have a brain in order to play that Bass, that's how easy it is. There are no complicated things to play on it.

If you want to play a rad song on the guitar, learn Cliffs Of Dover by Eric Johnson. It's really hard, but once you get it, it amazes everyone.

What an ignorant, uninformed statement to make. You should do a little actual research into the instrument's history before you spout off such trash.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

What an ignorant, uninformed statement to make. You should do a little actual research into the instrument's history before you spout off such trash.

I guess playing the Bass for 4 years and teaching it for 2 isn't research. That's weird.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I guess playing the Bass for 4 years and teaching it for 2 isn't research. That's weird.

A whole four years?
:shk:

Based on your statements, you obviously don't know much at all about the instrument or it's history. That was one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard about the instrument.

Can you actually back up why you think it is a brainless instrument?

I sugggest you pick up some James Jamerson, Jaco Pastorius, Vic Wooten and Matt Garrison records before you spout off such garbage.
:shk:

[Edited on 11-9-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Bango- dude, seriously....if you've played for 4 years and taught for 2 and still think bass is pointless, you must have just printed out some blink 182 tabs off the internet and changed the octave each time you teach someone new.

OK. Well my boyfriend wants to be a luthier (sp?) and was all excited when I said he could fiddle with my bass. Well, fiddling turned to cutting off the horns and making it into a teardrop shape. It almost looks like a zitar (sp?). But yeah, played a show last night, neato neato neato.

All bands should have energized bassists. And every show should be that much fun.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I don't recall ever posting that the Bass is "pointless". Send that quote my way when you find it. Bass is an essential part in any song, and most songs would not work without Bass. I DO, however, remember posting that a brain is not needed to play it, and here is why.

Bass is one of the only instruments that a person with only two fingers can play. Not only could they play it, but they could be amazing. Unlike a guitar, chords are almost NEVER played on a Bass, therefore, a Bass guitarist does not need to learn chords. I'm not saying that chords are never played, but hardly any songs have the Bass playing chords. In most songs, only one sting is played on the Bass at a time. The only thing that could provide difficulty for a Bass guitarist is the memorization of the notes played, but that, like everything else on the bass, is very easy.

So now, you have an instrument that you only need two fingers for, only need to pluck one string most of the time, don't have to know anything complicated, like chords, and has a very low memorization level. Sounds pretty easy to me. YES, I can actually back up why I think it's a brainless instrument.

Scat, I don't think you could be more right. What I did is I developed this plan to teach people how to play the Bass, but I didn't actually want to take the time to teach them anything good, so instead what I did is I went online and looked up Blink 182 tabs (they are THE greatest band ever when it comes to Bass) and I taught my students that. Boy, I sure screwed them over.

I thought 4 years was a long time to do something, but according to Facefirst, I couldn't have been more wrong. For that, I apologize. I just assumed that once you've been doing something for two hours everyday, for over 1460 days, you knew what you were talking about. But like I said, I was wrong and I apologize to any I may have offended.

Good lord Face, you're acting as if I compared the Bass guitar to a kazoo. Also, I think you forgot to add Mark King to the list of Bass guitarists that I've never heard of. Way to use those smileys to convey sarcasm, that really hurt my feelings. :shk:

[Edited on 12-9-2004 by BangorangRufio]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Bass is one of the only instruments that a person with only two fingers can play. Not only could they play it, but they could be amazing. Unlike a guitar, chords are almost NEVER played on a Bass, therefore, a Bass guitarist does not need to learn chords. I'm not saying that chords are never played, but hardly any songs have the Bass playing chords. In most songs, only one sting is played on the Bass at a time. The only thing that could provide difficulty for a Bass guitarist is the memorization of the notes played, but that, like everything else on the bass, is very easy.

So now, you have an instrument that you only need two fingers for, only need to pluck one string most of the time, don't have to know anything complicated, like chords, and has a very low memorization level. Sounds pretty easy to me. YES, I can actually back up why I think it's a brainless instrument.

Scat, I don't think you could be more right. What I did is I developed this plan to teach people how to play the Bass, but I didn't actually want to take the time to teach them anything good, so instead what I did is I went online and looked up Blink 182 tabs (they are THE greatest band ever when it comes to Bass) and I taught my students that. Boy, I sure screwed them over.

I thought 4 years was a long time to do something, but according to Facefirst, I couldn't have been more wrong. For that, I apologize. I just assumed that once you've been doing something for two hours everyday, for over 1460 days, you knew what you were talking about. But like I said, I was wrong and I apologize to any I may have offended.

Good lord Face, you're acting as if I compared the Bass guitar to a kazoo. Also, I think you forgot to add Mark King to the list of Bass guitarists that I've never heard of. Way to use those smileys to convey sarcasm, that really hurt my feelings. :shk:

[Edited on 12-9-2004 by BangorangRufio]

First off, grow up.

You still show a very strong ignorance of the instrument. You did not even come close to backing up your "brainless" statement. You show a fundamental lack of understanding with regards to bass technique. I actually play with four fingers on the right hand. Or a pick if that is required....... and yes, sometimes I even play with just two fingers.

Low memorization level? Just what kind of music are you talking about? That is funny. Actually hilarious. Don't have to know anything complicated? Sheesh. Again, look into the bassists I mentioned and then get back to me.

I am a profesional bassist. I have been playing professionally all over North America for over a decade.

And please, if you are going to make such grand claims, please be able to back them up.

JAK

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I've been playing the bass for 19 years now. Personally I love slap but I do tend to get carried away a little.

I also enjoy the general reputation that bass has as an instrument among certain people who don't know that much about it. When I play and see the expression on their faces it does make me chuckle.

Wish I'd know that I only needed two fingers, boy do I feel foolish. :shk:

(You might want to tell Les Claypool not to bother with the other fingers too.)

Jack

[Edited on 12/9/04 by JAK]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

First off, I kind of see what you are saying. However, the Stringed Bass can get quite complicated, and its not one of the only instruments one can play with two fingers. If you will look at the guitarist in my avatar his name is Django Reinhardt, and he was one of the greatest guitarists ever, yet after a fire burned the tendons in his left hand he was only left with two fingers, and yet could still play better than almost any other guitarist to this day. There are other instruments that one could make a case for about playing with little effort like the trumpet, etc. yet who would call Miles Davis "brainless" or such, just because the trumpet takes only three fingers to play?

Now, I think your getting the instrument confused with the talent behind the instrument, because essentially most instruments play all the same notes within a general octave range. This does not make one instrument any better or harder than another.

Essentially your argument is self defeating in that some of the greatest musicians alive have played these supposed "brainless instruments" and don't consider them that. Also, the Stringed Bass is essentially just like a violin, cello, viola, etc. but is just more "beefed" up. The Bass can be played just like a violin, but on a larger scale...just as the Cello is played like the Bass but on a smaller scale.

I think the whole argument is really pointless, because its usually not an issue with the instrument not being capable enough, so much as it is the player. One's musical style dictates how they view their instrument. An example of this would be that I don't think Rock guitar is particularly hard to play at all, but I would never say its "brainless" just because its different than the style of music that I play.

Any instrument is what you make of it. If you want to make it "brainless" that would be easy to accomplish, but if you want to make it "difficult" then that is complicated. Perhaps you just need to expand your horizons and realize that its not necessarily the instrument, but perhaps just your approach to it?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
You're telling ME to grow up, Facefirst? You're arguing with me over whether or not the Bass guitar is a brainless instrument. I could have sworn that I backed up my "grand claims", but I guess I'm wrong again. I still stand by my earlier statement.

I'm finished with this argument. I hate getting into arguments about stupid things, and this takes the cake. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

As for you, Jazzerman, I am not confused about anything. I think my points were clear. But thanks for opening a new window for me, I will take what you said to heart.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   

As for you, Jazzerman, I am not confused about anything. I think my points were clear. But thanks for opening a new window for me, I will take what you said to heart.

Although I sense a hint of sarcasm in your writing, which I like to see, I hope I did not come across as telling you what you must believe. You did have some valid points that are well worth discussing, and would be a quite lively and entertaining topic as this is turning out to be. There is nothing better than discussing music objectively, and to some extent, subjectively.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   

You're telling ME to grow up, Facefirst? You're arguing with me over whether or not the Bass guitar is a brainless instrument. I could have sworn that I backed up my "grand claims", but I guess I'm wrong again. I still stand by my earlier statement.

I'm finished with this argument. I hate getting into arguments about stupid things, and this takes the cake. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

What points were you making clear?

Jazzerman made an excellent point. You can only play one note at a time on the trumpet(just like the bass)....so Miles Davis was playing a "brainless" instrument?? You also cannot play chords on a trumpet like a guitarist can....does that make it a brainless instrument?

Again, learn to back up your statements with facts. Not some jibberish about "not being able to play chords" or "memorization." Charles Mingus would have probably slugged you for slaggin the bass. Go and learn one of his solos and then get back to us.

The Musician plays the music, not the instrument.

cheers

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst
The Musician plays the music, not the instrument.

A very wise statement. Every musician should learn that phrase and live by it, because its easier to place the blame on the instrument and not one's self. In fact...I like that statement so much I would buy a bumper sticker that stated said phrase.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Dude, Face, that really was a great line. I want to get that on a sticker and slap it on every jerk's face who thinks he's a badass just because he's got a Gibson, while I know kids with crappy $100 starter kits that could whoop their butts.

Long live musicians. All musicians.....even the ones who just sing...some of them are OK too. Except for those jerks who are electronically-made perfect, ew.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join