It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Play The Guitar/Bass

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I play both not too well but i just wanted to ask anyother guitarist/bassists what song they've been showing off with Mines goota be Day Tripper on the bass and Californication on the Guitar

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm gonna try and take it up in a few years, how is it to play? A large learning curve?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Well for me anyway for the first year i learned aprox 0.00000. Then the second year you start to learn and sift through the crap peole spert at you by that i mean people will tell you "Ok look heres how you play the A chord easy urr" your responce "Urrrrrrrrr.... yeah i get it" and you will get take it in your own time i try and pratice at least half an hour a day and now i am still i novice but i can play a few songs.

ohh and when you have trouble with that a chord (Lasts about a month) try not to through your guitar through a window

and if your talking about bass one day itll just click. Learning curve for guitar long and hard for about a year and bass no problem.

My opion

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I play a little...my best friend picked it up and really started to get good after about 2 years, and my brother-in-law is the keyboardist/guitarist in a house band for a big bar here - they're called Southern Satisfaction....he can play just about anything...

I like to play James Taylor, my friend loves to palm mute and so he plays lots of tool...he's learning some 311 which sounds so sweet when he plays it on acoustic - my brother-in-law....put anything in the cd player and 2 minutes later he'll be playing it exactly how it was recorded - seriously - lol - FSU's school of music is no joke - they pump out some serious musicians

[Edited on 8/30/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Bass for life yo!

I'm such the steretypical chick bassist in the guy band, its awesome. But I don't like learning other band's songs. My band is just writing so much right now, I don't have time to pick up any outside music.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
You don't even have to have a brain in order to play that Bass, that's how easy it is. There are no complicated things to play on it.

If you want to play a rad song on the guitar, learn Cliffs Of Dover by Eric Johnson. It's really hard, but once you get it, it amazes everyone.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by BangorangRufio
There are no complicated things to play on it.

lmao.....suuuuure.....

Just as example of a plathora of different bass techniques...you've mastered the art of slapping, eh? I think Flea from TRHCP would murder someone over that comment

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Geez Bangorang- taking your name from Hook and then dissing bass? Just goes to show the stereotypical pompous guitarist, psh!
Sure, there are alot of bands in which the bassist does little more than strum open E at a steady beat the whole song, but if that's all you know about, then you obviously must listen to dreadful music.
hahahha just playin around

Enron- you rock. I was just about to comment on something similar and you snatched it up right before me, good one!

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
Enron- you rock. I was just about to comment on something similar and you snatched it up right before me, good one!

- Havn't seen ya in a while...nice to have ya back!

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Ok well flea is the best bass player in the world today.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
GO TO
www.ultimate-guitar.com
and then click lessons.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Just goes to show the stereotypical pompous guitarist, psh!

I mostly play guitar, but I do know many songs on the bass.

[Edited on 31-8-2004 by BangorangRufio]

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
i play guitar and have 3 of them. i can play a lot of thing s although theres a lot i still can learn. my best song i can play is for whom the bell tolls by metalica. the guitar is fun as hell to play.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I'm such the steretypical chick bassist in the guy band, its awesome.

Chick bass players are HOT! Rock it Scat!

Ok well flea is the best bass player in the world today.

oy. Flea's good, but - best in the world? Hmmm. I dunno.

I'm not a big fan of the bickety bickety slap nonsense.
It all sounds like Seinfeld to me.

Paul McCartney (Beatles days) was great. Bruce Thomas from Elvis Costello and the Attractions was/is great.

James Jameson, the guy that played on all the motown hits is my candidate for best ever - but it's a style thing - he was a true pioneer.

Then there's Jaco Pastorius - probably the greatest jazz electric bassist.

Duck Dunn - sick. Played on Aretha tracks and the Philly Soul Stax stuff.
Rocco Prestia - bananas - played with Tower of Power.

In rock, I gotta give it up for Chris Squire and Geddy Lee -
some of the music may have been cheese, but still great players.
There's too many to count.

I really think the chick bass player from the Burning Brides is HOT!

It's all about groove and counterpoint and style.
Oh yeah, and hot chick bass players!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I would love to say that Paul Mccartney is the best im wearing a beatle top now but he really isnt that good hes an average bass player that came up with a few good bass line. Day Tripper true classic.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
i play guitar and bass, guitar for years and got a bass just at last xmas. on the bass moby dick by led zeppelin, i like that. some rage against the machine.

i wanna be adored by the stone roses, thats a good bass line

on the guitar i like lez zeppelin again, want to learn some scorpions songs

rynaldo

[Edited on 3-9-2004 by rynaldo82]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
ive been playing led zeppelins 'over the hills and far away' and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
You can all see in my profile what I play. Mainly Jazz (most forms- Swing, Bebop, Cool, etc.) some Blues, etc. I have been playing guitar for around 14-15 years and its my main instrument, but as you can see in my profile I play quite a few. Some of my favorite musicians are George Benson, Charlie Christian, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Jim Hall, etc....on the Jazz front. As for Blues, etc. artists I enjoy Otis Rush, Albert King, Buddy Guy, SRV...you get the idea.

Currently I own 4 guitars. Two of them are archtops, and the other two are Fender Stratocaster that I built myself from spare Fender USA parts.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
yeah i play bass, and a little guitar...

I stopped playing other peoples stuff when i was 16 and now i just jam stuff together or just play my own stuff... its a lot more fullfilling and you develope more from doing it that way...

Try getting inot a band that plays originals... that will help you learn and grow more than just playing other peoples stuff to yourself.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
specialasianX...thats a very good point. True musicianship only begins once you venture outside "the box" and play original music. Most of what I do is Improvizational Jazz, and when I play live no song ever sounds the same twice. Playing the same thing over and over gets really boring, but if some people like doing it, and get fulfillment out of the experience then good on them. It's ok to play the standards in music, but one should not base their entire musical vocabulary off of other musicians.

I used to play live (Jazz clubs, etc.) a lot, but since I just moved to a new city I have not been able to find musicians to play with yet. Music is a continuing journey, and I hope everyone that enjoys playing will never stop their journey, because its a lifelong endeavour.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join