reply to post by navy_vet_stg3
I would completely reform all branches of government, the legal code, and the election process.
1. As long as one pays taxes and they are not a felon, they can vote for Representatives.
2. States would elect Senators.
3. Political Parties and primaries would be abolished.
4. Voting age pushed to 21.
5. Elections would be considered national holidays.
6. Standard terms of 4 years for all elected officials. A limit of two consecutive terms.
7. To be elected or appointed to federal office, one must have performed federal service and pass civic examination.
8. The Electoral College would be reformed into a College of Executive Electors. This College would be composed of all Representatives, Senators, and
new officials known as Tribunes. (See Legislature for more on the Tribunate)
9. As part of the new flat and fair, Financial Activity Tax, all political donations and contributions would be taxed.
II. Legislature and Law:
1. Congress would be given a new third house, known as the Tribunate, 13 members elected by the House of Representatives. It would have the power of
Judicial Review and its duty would be to review all legislation before it is given to the President, making sure the legislation is constitutional. By
law, they must review all of it. They would also have the power to review any Executive Decree or Edict. If either legislation, decree or edict is
found to be unconstitutional, the Tribunate have the power to veto it. To challenge and overturn a Tribunate veto, a case must be brought before the
US Supreme Court.
2. Elimination of the income tax, replaced by an optimal, flat and fair, Financial Activity Tax applied to any and all financial transfers and
3. A one time only, 15% Capital Asset Tax, used to pay off the national debt.
4. English established as the official language of the federal government.
5. Charitable donations no longer used as tax deductions and no organization would have tax exempt status.
6. Retirement age pushed to 70.
7. The establishment of an energy standard monetary system backed by the fossil fuel reserves of the US.
1. The establishment of the Presidency as Executive Sovereign, with the perogatives of Executive Assent and Edict. Veto could be overturned with a 2/3
majority of Congress. Edicts could be reviewed and vetoed by the Tribunat.
2. The President would appoint a Prime Minister to oversee civil and domestic affairs. The PM would select civil and domestic cabinet heads, including
the Department of Justice, Treasury, Commerce, Interior, Agriculture, Energy, Transportation, and Health.
3. The Dept of Labor would be absorbed by Agriculture, becoming the Deparment of Agriculture, Industry and Labor.
4. The Departments of Education and Housing would be asborbed by Health and Human Services, becoming the Department of Health, Education and Welfare.
5. The Dept of Homeland Security would be absorbed by the Defense and Justice Departments.
6. The establishment of a continental joint security and energy consortium with Canada and Mexico.
7. Establishment of a National ID and identity database, contolled by the Justice Department.
8. Establishment of the United States Border Guard, a military and law enforcement entity similar to the Coast Guard, but operates on borders of the
US. It would replace U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
9. The establishment of 12 Orbital Expeditionary Strike Groups and 12 Transatmospheric Airlift Squadrons, that would replace the need for any forward
basing outside the continental United States.
Then I would retire to my villa and go fishing.