It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Has anyone here read the Book called God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens ? I have talked to People who tell me and I have heard Christopher Hitchens says that God is a Dictator and that Heaven or the Aferlife would be like a Dictatorship can anyone explain why he thinks this ? I have not read the Book but I do plan on buying a copy of the Book.

Christopher Hitchens vs. Sean Hannity

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eBmyABeAa4[/media]

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mikejohnson2006

As a christian, I believe that people like this are only here to lead you down the wrong path.
Don't fall for it. I'm sure someone will come in here with a "valid" argument, but what do YOU believe?
Is God great in YOUR eyes? Listen to your heart, meditate on it. Don't fall victim to false prophets.

A great book to read is the Bible. Try it out.
edit on 19-10-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Yes I own a copy and it is excellent. Approach it with an open mind and listen to his arguments and rational thinking as an impartial reader. Well worth owning a copy. Enjoy.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Reading it at the moment funnily enough..... haven't come across that bit yet.

Most religious people don't like him because he's a pretty good debater... he brings reason and logic and common sense and usually just shuts these religious nutters up.

Best of the Hitch-slap.... the video is awesome.... it's quite long but literally tears religion and religious dogma and arguments to pieces.

The guy is a legend.

edit on 19/10/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Here you go, I've embedded the video for you.

youtu.be...

I have to agree with Hitchens on this one. It would be a terrible thought to believe that the God of the Old Testament is judging us and preparing a hell to put us away for eternity. The OT God is a bigoted bully.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I have read the book and it is interesting. Hitchens is in fact a great speaker and debater. I am a Christian, so obviously I hold an opposing view. The first posted response you received gave the best advice IMO.

I think people have trouble accepting that we, along with everything were created by God for one purpose- HIS GLORY. This mindset involves submission to His will- not something many are willing to do.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I'll save a lot of time and bother.
Just copy and paste the following and insert as appropriate.

"I am a ________________ (insert your religion)
Purely because I was born in _________________ (insert global region)
Therefore I believe that my God/Gods is/are great and all others are wrong.
Everyone who disagrees with me is deluded and will lose out after they die.

Sit back smugly.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by HumansEh
I'll save a lot of time and bother.
Just copy and paste the following and insert as appropriate.

"I am a ________________ (insert your religion)
Purely because I was born in _________________ (insert global region)
Therefore I believe that my God/Gods is/are great and all others are wrong.
Everyone who disagrees with me is deluded and will lose out after they die.

Sit back smugly.

How do you explain Muslims who convert to Christianity while living in their home country?
What about people who didn't grow up in a religious environment, but still find God?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I agree that Christopher Hitchins can pretty much destroy anybody who try's to defend religion, however from my research he has always avoided the topic of spirituality. If you get away from dogmatic religions it's very hard to argue against a creative force that most people have anthropomorphized as god. He seems to be all about science, and the science is coming out that a creative intelligence made this universe and everything in it. Just look at the mountains of research into near death experiences, past life regression hypnotherapy, quantum research and the myriad of other data that points to a creator. I'm a fact based type of guy like Mr. Hitchins, and a few years ago I was very cynical about the existence of a god. This was in large part due to all the hypocrisy's of organized religion. What I found when I got away from all that bs is that if one wants to find evidence of a creative force you need to start by looking within your own self, that's where the key that unlocks life's big mysteries is hidden.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Have YOU read the book?

I bought it in 2007 i think.read it and was like "what he said" the whole way through... It IS NOT SAYING "GOD" is not great..

He refers to MANS creation of GOD. as in mans take on God..

Also, he researched and lays out origin of religions..

let your insecurity or denial try and "save" other people from reading facts..

TELL me, does Knowing that religious leaders who pushed the bible wanted to kill people for ridiculous reasons, such as rotation of the sun? galileo, etc..

sound like they knew it all, I mean God did "speak" to them..

new topics

top topics

join