It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did a massive comet almost wipe out humans in 1883?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
On the 12th and 13th August 1883, an astronomer at a small observatory in Zacatecas in Mexico made an extraordinary observation. José Bonilla counted some 450 objects, each surrounded by a kind of mist, passing across the face of the Sun.

2 years later Bonilla published his findings. Why? Who knows, I didn't read the article, I'm just posting this to continue the hype stirred up by Comet Elenin
[just kidding]

Did a massive comet almost wipe out humans in 1883?

I find it fascinating that 125 years later, Mexican scientists are making every effort to convince the world that back in 1883, a Mexican witnessed something that their hypothesis declares was a world ending catastrophy near miss, comparable to the Extinction of the Dinosaurs!

Was an 1883 astronomy mystery a near-miss billion tonne comet?

If the comet had hit Earth back then, we definitely wouldn't be around to write this article. But each indidual fragment would have been roughly as big as the object that was thought to have hit Tunguska in 1908 -- an event 1,000 times more powerful than an atomic bomb.

After working out an estimated number of objects that would have whizzed past between Bonilla's observations, Manterola concludes, "if they had collided with Earth we would have had 3275 Tunguska events in two days -- probably an extinction event." Probably.

Forget the excerpt! What's up with the spelling!... [once again, Just Kidding...]

Revealed: The massive comet that came within a few hundred miles of hitting the earth in 1883 - with enough force to destroy mankind

If indeed this information finds itself credible, people should take this as a history lesson... and find it within themselves to humble their egos pertaining to all of the hype involving the comet Elenin...

Yes, Elenin has come and gone, and unlike Jupiter's encounter with comet Shoemaker - Levy 9, Earth was not pelted with cometary debris - the likes of which could have caused an extinction level event, as some of the impact detonations witnessed upon the surface of Jupiter when Shoemaker - Levy 9's debris entered its atmosphere were as big as the planet Earth itself!

Appreciate the whistle blowers who try to inform you of a sky falling event, as it's not just for chicken little any more!

edit on 19-10-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
You should do some searching.

There was a very long thread about this 2 days ago on the front page.

Sorry to poop on your post.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

POOP?! where?

My post is in jest, so bring all the poop ya want.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Here is more poop for you...

allready posted here..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

Maybe you should try the jokes forum.

They love a good knock-knock over there.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
YAY! Frivolous material!

I present with this post a newer, more crisper aspect of this particular topic...

The actual event, while supposedly "observed" by a Mexican named Bonilla:

1. Was NOT seen by anyone else on the planet BUT Bonilla

2. Wasn't produced for publication a whole TWO YEARS LATER - well after the assumed 'fact' - which even caught ridicule from the actual publication editor to boot at the time.

3. Was provided to the publication without any proof, with the exception of an image of something that looked like a scribble out of a Norman Rockwell early draft. Why such an unsupported factoid even was considered as worthy of publishing is a question all to itself.

4. And now, Mexico wants to bring to the world's attention their historical significance and grand inspirational method of doing science by rehashing this unfounded publication as a bigger, Earth shattering realization that this was... scrambled eggs!

That's right, Mexico wants the rest of the world know that their astronomer witnessed something no one else ever realized or even witnessed... the near absolute destruction of the human race! What they aren't publishing is the fact that Bonilla had a hankering for Tequilla, and that the cactus crop that year had a bad bacterial infestation that nearly wiped out the tequilla crop... equating to one bad shot of tequilla!

Forget the worm!

I find it rather hillarious that a perported scientist before the turn of the 21st century managed to get a story based on one photo and a pile of notes published concerning mysterious objects, that even the publication's editor ridiculed, that today finds itself being published worldwide as fact because another Mexican astronomer picks up on the story and hypes up the possibilities, making it now a fear mongering possibility, with no reality backing up it's factuality that only one person on the entire planet, a Mexican, witnessed!

VIVA MEXICO!

How do grandios stories of this insignificant magnitude make it to such confusing hieghts?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Your'e forgetting that a comet, (12P/Pons-Brooks) was expected to return in 1883, after an appearance in 1812. It did return and was rediscovered. As far as I known no one is making a relationship between what Bonilla saw and 12P/Pons-Brooks as it was in the order of AU's too far away, I forget the distance, that is not to say there was none, just doubtful. On the other hand, 12P/Pons-Brooks itself has been speculated on by scientists as being the great Chinese comet of 1500BC, who's dust did trail the Earth. Even more than that, 1500BC is also the period up to the end of the last social orders in different civilisations all over the world, when before that there was general order and peace, and after that civilisations fell in on themselves. Yes, coincidence maybe, but that's just like Bonilla and 12P/Pons-Brooks coincidence. So, you have to do a lot of work just to find out the big joke, there's the rub, you may never find out. There is also the small point about astronomy, it was not exactly a mass science and everywhere in the 19th century, anybody indulging in it would have needed some wherewithall then.
edit on 19-10-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Interesting.

I was unaware of this.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

It seems comets come, and comets go.

Where's Elenin?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
Here is more poop for you...

allready posted here..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join