It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a catastrophic success !?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
President Bush on Sunday defended the invasion of Iraq, calling it a "catastrophic success" despite continued violence and the lack of weapons that drove the country to war.

"We did not find the stockpiles that we thought would be there," Bush said at a rally in the northern part of West Virginia, a swing state he won in 2000 that remains vital to his re-election.

"I want to remind you that Saddam Hussein had the capability of making weapons of mass destruction, and he could have passed that capability on," Bush said a day before his nominating convention opened in New York.

SF Gate

I don't know what is more mind boggling: that this empty figure . of a president has such a weak grasp of functional verbal skills OR that "reporters" no longer exist, and consistently fail to call out the glaring lies and manglings of meaning ?

Here are the accepted definitions for catastophic from Encarta, since I know some alcolyte is sure to chime in and tell us what he really meant to convey:

1. disastrous: causing or liable to cause widespread damage or death
the uncontrolled spread of an infection that has had a catastrophic effect on livestock

2. awful: completely unsuccessful or very bad
The party was a catastrophic affair, ending in a riot.

3. medicine life-threatening and requiring expensive treatment: so serious in nature as to require extensive, long-term, and expensive medical treatment
cancer, AIDS, and other catastrophic illnesses requiring excellent insurance coverage

4. insurance providing extensive coverage for high expenses: used to describe insurance plans, policies, or coverage appropriate to protect the insured party against expenses incurred in the event of a life-threatening condition requiring extensive medical intervention

[edit on 30-8-2004 by Bout Time]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
You want to know what a "catastrophic success" is?

The Bush Presidency.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I just watched a documentary on Aghanistan children on the discovery channel today. Alot of little 9, 10, 13 year old kids are still carrying on the beliefs that were taught to them under the Taliban. These children's parents were loyal to the Taliban and had to run hide in the mountains when the bombing started. They still think we are devils and some they interviewed want to grow up to keep fighting anyone who is a non-muslim.
What's going to happen when these kids grow up? Another batch of terrorists?
Maybe they will be the last generation to be like that or maybe they will change. I don't know.
Maybe that's what Bush means by a catastrophic success.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
'Catastrophic success...'

Ok, some Bush apologist, please pipe up and give me a laugh explaining this one. You know you want to.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
LOL, well - what I think Bush s trying to say is...........

Damn, even I can't defend this one

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Well if you believe that Bush is indeed trying to increase the numbers of terrorists then he is precisely correct. It is a Catastrophy and a success therefore a Catastrophic success.

Just like 911. Another fabulous catastrophic success.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Yeah, that comment was pretty pathetic.......at best. I don't know how you would explain that one. Even if I still was an avid Bush supporter, there'd be no way I could do it.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I'm just glad that Cheney's really in charge. God, I hope the VP doesn't die of a heart attack before 2008 when Jeb can take over.

top topics

join