It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100,000 protesters+ Largest Greece strike since the beginning of financial crisis happening now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
rt.com...

Police and protesters in Athens clash outside the parliament as the so-called “mother of all strikes” is underway in Greece. Around 125,000 people are taking part in the largest protest since financial turmoil began crippling the country. In front of the parliament building, sounds like flashbangs just off Syntagma Square, used by police to stun, attract loud boos whenever they go off, as RT's correspondent Sara Firth reports. Protesters are throwing Molotov cocktails at riot police, who are responding with tear gas. “It is getting very tense due to the several thousands of people who turned up for the protest, many of them are from youth movements,” reports RT’s Sara Firth direct from Athens. The 48-hour general strike has started on Wednesday ahead of the parliamentary vote on Thursday. Parliament is still pressing ahead with another key vote to squeeze spending even further to stave off a catastrophic national bankruptcy. Emergency powers have been invoked to force garbage crews to get back to work as an escalating campaign of strikes by public servants and other unions against austerity measures has crippled services in Greece. Garbage is left on every single street and corner. On Tuesday, which saw the 17th day of a collectors’ strike, Prime Minister George Papandreou issued a civil mobilization order. The country is caught between severe opposition at home and intense pressure from foreign investors. Many analysts share the opinion that over the past weeks and months the eurozone leaders should have adopted a different option from the very beginning of the entire crisis, and that now there is no Plan B. There have been talks of a possible default for Greece. In the meantime, the people of Greece seem to have reached breaking point from the authorities’ severe austerity measures.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I am watching it live here

It's all out war !
I have never seen anything like it.
so many people protesting (over 100,000), flash grenades mass running

Complete anarchy

Terrible to say it but I am actually enjoying watching it

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This may be the start then !

I am not sure why this is not world news on the box ? not heard a thing in the UK they are trying there best not to report on any of this. The sooner it comes the better in my eyes

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The UK news network is too busy showing eviction of the Dale Farm pikeys (sorry I mean protesters).

A nice distraction bit of news compared to mass riots in Greece

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
the channel has blocked viewing from my location
top work

is this in relation to OWS or is it just a mass protest following the strike they had a few weeks ago?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Looks like a brawling mass of people in the main square.

Police making charges then backing off.

Lots of flash bangs, stones being thrown
The loudness of all of the rioters sounds like a football match, only louder

I believe this most recent rioting started as the Greek parliament decided more austerity measures and cutbacks were needed (already decided by the EU).
Hence the populous has just now had enough.
edit on 19/10/2011 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
The UK news network is too busy showing eviction of the Dale Farm pikeys (sorry I mean protesters).

A nice distraction bit of news compared to mass riots in Greece

I agree this will get one metion and that will it they will do anything to turn our thoughts away from the real termoil

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsidethesquare
is this in relation to OWS or is it just a mass protest following the strike they had a few weeks ago?
no this is not related to OWS but thats not to say the whole world is #$&*ed up for the same reasons coast to coast and its time for change... but I do not believe it should be violent

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
the channel owner has blocked viewing to my location also
those who can watch, can you give us a running commentary?
or at least keep us apprised
of major events?

fingers crossed for our poor greek brothers and sisters.... we're all in this with you!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Greece sure knows how to set an example

Many of you will disagree, but they are doing what is needed.

Those police officers need to realize who's side they are really on and put down the riot gear and protest with their fellow citizens.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
These momentous and historical events taking place in the heart of europe are being totally ignored by the msm here in the uk. The same way they try to hide ocupy and wikileaks and anything else of any importance taking place in the real world. I hate them so much. 100,000+ people on the streets of greece right now, and not a single mention of it on the news.

edit on 19-10-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by decepticonLaura
the channel owner has blocked viewing to my location also
those who can watch, can you give us a running commentary?
or at least keep us apprised
of major events?

fingers crossed for our poor greek brothers and sisters.... we're all in this with you!

The live stream has just been switched off. It was kicking right off gas been thrown people hurt on the floor ,people with gas masks on its pretty bad at the moment then the camera zoomed in on a guy on the floor not moving then the live stream got cut

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
My country (Canada) is too dumbed down from Justin Bieber, fluoride, and cheeseburgers. This will never happen in Canada as long as we continue to sleep. Our finance minister even had the parts to say that he has no idea why Canadians are participating in OWS because we have nothing to protest about

Flaherty: Occupy movement has little to protest in Canada

Right on Greece!
edit on 19-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
My country (Canada) is too dumbed down from Justin Bieber, fluoride, and cheeseburgers. This will never happen in Canada as long as we continue to sleep. Our finance minister even had the parts to say that he has no idea why Canadians are participating in OWS because we have nothing to protest about

Right on Greece!
Fortunately they are starting to wake up! I just visited an occupy gathering in Kelowna and I was amazed as to how many people in this small town are awake and very aware about what is going on.

In the gathering I pointed out that the occupy movement itself is likely a creation of the current system for the establishment of the new world order and people either already knew about this is or completely agreed. If we stop falling into their problem reaction solution trap IMO we can truly start changing things
edit on 19-10-2011 by seenavv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
BBC doing there bit

www.bbc.co.uk...

And we pay the BBC there wages what a shame

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
here's another link

This link may work in other countries better.

As for the BBC story, 70,00 protesters - yeh right

Watching the live feeed feels like alot more than that easily.
I have never seen anything like it.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Flaherty: Occupy movement has little to protest in Canada

Right on Greece!
edit on 19-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

I know i saw the finance minister comments on CP24 our local Toronto News Network CP24 news isnt local news anymore it acts like Local Fox News Station

he has no idea why Canadians are participating in OWS because we have nothing to protest about

its the economy thats we Canadians are participating in OWS, oh and also i dont believe nor buy our unemployment rate i think its alot higher then just 8%.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I think part of the reason that we are not as angry as the Greeks is that a lot of us Canadians believe all the garbage our media puts out. A lot of us have become too trusting over the years.

I also believe our unemployment rate is incorrect. Even the way they calculate our unemployment rate is sketchy. Most of our financial figures are manipulated. Things aren't as bad as Greece yet but if people knew all the sneaky things that have been done to us recently they might get a lot more angry.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by seenavv

Viva La Revolution!

The momentum is building, the worldwide revolution for mankinds equality is finally here after thousands of years of oppression.

top topics

join