It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Tower (5 Km high) in Hellas Planitia Region on Mars!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Has Richard C. Hogland mentioned this yet?

If not, its just another glitch on google map.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
Shadows! Night/Day... confirm....

That isn't a picture, it's a computer-generated 3D model. Therefore the shadow is not real.

I'm not saying the fact the image is computer-generated definitely means the "tower" is not real (although it could easily be a computer glitch). I'm only saying the the shadows you see are meaningless, and are only simulated.

edit on 10/19/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: speellling, and, grammar

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Natural monoliths are not so uncommon.
Here are some.
Look particularly at Spider Rock to see that they can be as tall and narrow as the one found on Mars.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Arken

Night and day is simulated, as well as the shadow effects.

I know you won't believe me so open up google earth and go to say the Eiffel tower, make sure 3D buildings is turned on and you will see that when you use the sunlight feature, it does the same thing.

The Eiffel Tower is a real object, so maybe there is a real object on Mars, at least that is what I can deduct from your statement.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Its far cry map editor, mars edition.

Will keep an eye on this thread to see how it turns out. But it does just look like a glitch to me. Or maybe its an ancient mars ant hill.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainInstaban

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Arken

Night and day is simulated, as well as the shadow effects.

I know you won't believe me so open up google earth and go to say the Eiffel tower, make sure 3D buildings is turned on and you will see that when you use the sunlight feature, it does the same thing.

The Eiffel Tower is a real object, so maybe there is a real object on Mars, at least that is what I can deduct from your statement.

No.

He's probably talking about the "3D Buildings" option in "GoogleEarth" (the downloadable version -- not "Google Maps".

In that 3D buildings option, you can view some of the worlds' buildings in 3D superimposed on the aerial/satellite image of the surrounding land. Those 3D buildings are NOT real pictures, but rather computer-generated CGI 3D models of those buildings, complete with simulated shadow effects.

Also (and pertinent to this thread's topic) you can view the land in GoogleEarth with the terrain turned "on", which will show you the aerial and satellite images of the land with 3D representations of the hills, valleys, and mountains. This is done by artificially entering elevation data into a computer, and the computer then would simulate the 3D terrain.

Keeping this in mind, this "tower" on Mars could easily be a computer glitch in which wrong data was used (for example, the height data of that particular piece of Mars could incorrectly have been entered into the 3D modeling software as 5000 meters when it should have been -- say -- 5 meters).

edit on 10/19/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here's an example of incorrect elevation (height) data in GoogleEarth, which resulted in a 72 kilometer (!) building showing up. As I explained above, the 3D buildings in GoogleEarth (the ones you can view in 360°) are NOT real pictures, but are computer-generated 3D models of the buildings. In this case, someone screwed up on the height of this building (or screwed up writing the 3D software), and the computer thought it was 72 km tall:

www.gearthblog.com...

It's very possible for a similar problem with the elevation data to have occurred for the alleged "tower" on Mars.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Phaaaaaaaaaaaaaage!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Computer program glitch , the same can be seen on the lunar surface images but some of them have been pulled below the surface .

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Where exactly is this object located on Mars other than Hellas Planatia? I am more than positive there is an MOC image or one from the MRO that would show this object.

I am sorry but without further evidence this is a artifact in the 3D software. I have done many USGS to 3D renders and it happens all the time

I used this data to createThis image and many more.

So no until I see some other proof this is a non anomaly. Even then it is still very likely a natural formation.
edit on 19-10-2011 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I wish there was a way to somehow highlight/flag/star threads that specifically require phage's expertise.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I wouldn't doubt this for one second. This would be appropriate given all of the astrology and mythology that goes along with Mars. Mars represents the male sex, and is the god of war and destruction. This tower is a phallus, just like the tower of babel, and all our egyptian obelisks around the world, most notably washington d.c. Were a male dominated society. Theres also many a lore about how the souls incarnated on earth are originally martian souls, sent to earth after we (they) destroyed their own martian biosphere.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I agree that a real picture from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) would be good evidence as to whether this 3D model is accurate or not, but there are enough other known 3D data height errors in Google Earth that it seems likely that a computer glitch is the best answer...

...In my opinion, that is a better explanation than there being a natural spire on Mars that is 5 km tall. That would be very tall considering its slenderness.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I’m about to have to use the oldest and one of the most used statements here on ATS.
Trust me, I don’t want to, but I have to.
Here it goes:

Show me a picture or it isn’t real.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The images look real, they aren't a "computer glitch" (funny how people throw that word out there all the time, it really only has meaning when memory resources are being used to capacitance, relative to the machine viewing it).

As far as man made, it's a theory until we uncover it, but the extreme winds on Mars have created many other amazing features by sandblasting. We have features like this on Earth-not nearly as tall I don't think, but it is an amazing find either way.!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Where exactly is this object located on Mars other than Hellas Planatia?

You can clearly find coordinates long/lat on every image I've posted.
Check by yourself.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
The images look real, they aren't a "computer glitch" (funny how people throw that word out there all the time, it really only has meaning when memory resources are being used to capacitance, relative to the machine viewing it).

As far as man made, it's a theory until we uncover it, but the extreme winds on Mars have created many other amazing features by sandblasting. We have features like this on Earth-not nearly as tall I don't think, but it is an amazing find either way.!

Of course it's a 3D representation -- You can "fly around" it. You can't do that with a picture.

Let me clarify -- The "surface" may be a real picture, but the 3D terrain heights are all artificially created from elevation data.

The very fact that the alleged tower isn't there at one resolution as you zoom in on the area, then suddenly "appears out of nowhere" at a closer resolution makes be believe it is an error with the elevation data. If it was really there, it just wouldn't "appear out of nowhere" like it does as you zoom in on the area in question.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

You can clearly find coordinates long/lat on every image I've posted.
Check by yourself.

I saw that I am just being lazy...I will try and dig up some in that area.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Oh and what I meant was like something here Something on here

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The reverse effect is clear for the Joy crater on the moon , you can see how it has been dragged down .

The similar effect is seen here on google moon when you skew the view 25°22'13.84"N 24°42'54.88"W

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join