It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece Braces For 'Mother Of All Strikes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
The Greeks are at it again.
When the EU and the Greek Government agree on austerity measures and debt repayment they never seem to factor in the effect it will have on the populace.
And this is what happens....

Unions representing around half of the country's four million-strong workforce have called a 48-hour general strike.

It will culminate in mass demonstrations in front of parliament, the scene of violent clashes in June.

But surely the Greeks must have relaized that they couldn't sustain the fantasy lifestyle they'd been living? How was the Government supposed to pay 1000 and 1200 Euros per month for pensions? Greece has always been rife with tax evasion so the money had to come from somewhere - they borrowed it.
This is the negative impact of electing a populist Government.

Greece Braces For 'Mother Of All Strikes

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

Meh, let it burn. I'm tired of them complaining and
not doing anything about it. It's always someone
elses fault.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
what a shame!

isn't the widespread greek closure of offices & services to blame??

edit on 19-10-2011 by ignant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Greece (government/citizens) should make the hard decisions now, instead of continuing to kick the can down the road. It will be hard for the people and politicians for sure.

The people will take the brunt of defaulting, and hopefully they will learn to hold government accountable in the future - meaning a new government voted in to get the corrupt out (if possible hehe.)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Greece has probably ruined it for everyone else because they are so selfish.

I know for a fact that a Greek man who had defaulted on at least 3 credit cards kept on getting credit cards.

Greece is going to drag everyone down.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

The corrupt government? The Greeks love this government
as it is, they don't want anything to change at all. Now that
the government HAS to (finally!) do something, they revolt.

They have only themselves to blame.

edit on 19-10-2011 by snewpers because: meh

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
If this is their attitude to fixing their country, I'd like the money the UK loaned to Greece back, please.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone

Greece has probably ruined it for everyone else because they are so selfish.

I know for a fact that a Greek man who had defaulted on at least 3 credit cards kept on getting credit cards.

Greece is going to drag everyone down.

You could say the same thing about any country with regards to credit cards. If the greece problem didn't exist do you think this global crisis will go away?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Why do some many people buy into the myth that it's the "peoples" fault?

Let's compare the citizens personal debts combined against the hundreds of trillions in loans to the various countries?

I agree that people are foolish and have bought into living in debt as a way of life, like the governments, like the uberbankers want. But to act like the people's chump change is ruining the world is just ludicrous.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Um last time I went to Greece in '99 it reminded me of Mexico. There was no lavish lifestyle like we have in America.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here's a reuters video on the strike/riots/protests (whatever you want to call them.
A protestor briefly catches fire

Shall we play spot the difference with OWS?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

Their pension and unemployment benefit is insanely high compared to national salary and comparable nations across the EU

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by snewpers
reply to post by Philippines

The corrupt government? The Greeks love this government
as it is, they don't want anything to change at all. Now that
the government HAS to (finally!) do something, they revolt.

They have only themselves to blame.

edit on 19-10-2011 by snewpers because: meh

I agree the citizens have themselves to blame, like all other "civilized" nations who have let a government rule them largely unchecked because "life is good." ... Until reality seeps in. And you're right, now that they're stuck between a rock and a hard place, no one wants to, or is ready/prepared for what "change" could actually mean.

Interesting times =)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
First Greece, then Italy, then London, then back to Greece. Which country will be next to fall into violent confrontations. A large part of Europe it seems to be entering into Anarchy.

The European project should be scrapped, for the sake of the European nations.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Everyone in Europe wanted to be Germany when they can't engineer $hit like the Germans can.
If even Japan can't beat German engineering prowess, what makes these Euro laughing stocks think they can?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

I have no clue whatsoever what you are talking about.
German engineering ain't all that anymore, but I wonder
what that has to do with Greece?!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
And here comes the domino effect.

Pretty surprising and sad that someone on ATS would say its the peoples fault an economy is collapsing.

I would of thought people would of known that the fascist corporate governments around the world would be response-able.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Nonsense. Last winter I literally gave my Beemer away after 5 years of living with a nightmare.
Germany outsources everything and merely has final assembly in the Vaterland now. Much like most major European companies thanks to bizarre EU legislation (something can be made in China but if 'finished' in Germany it can have the label 'Made in Germany' on it).

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Governments around the world are responsible for the mess
in Greece? So it's not just the Greek government that hid
all military expenses in their books when they joined the
EU so that their balance looked pretty OK?

Btw, when you say 'fascist', do you mean Hitlers' fascism
or Mussolini's fascism? Or is it just a kewl word to use?

Originally posted by Quickfix
And here comes the domino effect.

Pretty surprising and sad that someone on ATS would say its the peoples fault an economy is collapsing.

I would of thought people would of known that the fascist corporate governments around the world would be response-able.

edit on 19-10-2011 by snewpers because: type-o-negative

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Germany exports more than twice as much as Japan. China beat them just by sheer volume. They singlehandedly control 86% of the global luxury car market. That's more than 2/3! The scraps are divided up by countries such as Japan, USA, UK, Italy, Sweden and Korea (go find France on that list.
)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join