It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need your Opinions is this Racist? California Job Application

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nutzmctaffy

i fail to understand the enployment world when it comes to racism, sexism etc
they always say 'for the purposes of equal oppotunities we need to know your race, religion, sexual orientation etc. if it really was equal then they wouldnt need to know, these things have no bearing on weather or not your suitable for a job

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

As I mentioned though, for any company that gets Federal money, they need to PROVE they have enough diversification to meet the Federal guidelines, so yeah, they have to know the info.

If you ever feel (and have evidence) that a company didn't hire you due to race though, then there is a breach of Title VII, but it can be awfully difficult to prove. Employment Law is a hairy animal. I had quite a bit of it when getting my MBA, and it's very tricky and can be a fine line, depending on the exact circumstances. As a disclaimer though, my postings are not intended to be actual legal advice, as I am not a licensed, practicing attorney.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I used to live in the area, I know what you're talking about.

My solution: Always decline to answer or choose "Other".

That way, they can only approve or deny your application by your credentials and/or experience.

Now, if the job listing specifically says, "Bilingual in Spanish preferred" or something, you'd better be able to wow them at the interview so they don't care that you're not fluent. Then, you'd best become somewhat fluent.

That said... You live in Fresno. You know more Spanish than you think you do.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by DaveNorris

As I mentioned though, for any company that gets Federal money, they need to PROVE they have enough diversification to meet the Federal guidelines, so yeah, they have to know the info.
thats actually my point, equal oppotunities implies that companies will employ the person that is best suited for the job, not the person that will fill their quoter of a certain race/religion/sexuality

top topics

<< 1   >>

join