It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need your Opinions is this Racist? California Job Application

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
www.flickr.com/photos/48423325@N05/6259518551/in/photostream

EVERY damn application I fill out asks me this... AND EVERY job interview Ask me if I speak spanish and Seem to look down on me when I don't..

I live in Fresno California... Where we have More Mexicans than any other race..

Umm Not to be racist myself but WHY should I have to learn spanish when this is America....

I just find very Discriminating when we have huge unemployment numbers and I being a Honky is almost required to learn spanish to get a job

It's Truly the Biggest Pile Of Bovine Fecal Matter I have been dealing with...

Just want your opinions... Is it ok to basically ask me if I am either Latino or Not on an application ...

edit on 19-10-2011 by nutzmctaffy because: link fix

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
www.flickr.com...@N05/6259518551/in/photostream

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by nutzmctaffy

Damnit I can't get the link to work...

Basically on the Job application
it asks me

am I latino or Not Latino with no other race option

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

It is only racist if they actually hire you because of your race not to ask I dont think. Then again, the person doing the hiring should be smart enough to just look at a person and tell if they are white or mexican, sooooo why would they have to ask in the first place unless it is some kind of racist thing and they are separating the apps by race.
edit on 19-10-2011 by billy197300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Where I come from, it's only racist if you make a
big deal out of the fact that you should learn
another language to get the job. But hey, that's
where I live

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Yes, this is America. But so are Mexico and Canada.
There really is no America. There are in reality three Americas. North, Central and South.
Some might charge that claiming only the United States is America is racist.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
If you went to France or Italy for a job, you would have to speak the language to even work at McDonalds. Is that racist?

Also, you need to speak Spanish pretty much to work in the Miami Florida area and a lot of South Florida because they make a majority of the citizenry. Is that racist?
edit on 19-10-2011 by LazloFarnsworth because: (no reason given)

And to work in most fields in Dearborn Michigan by Detroit...you need to speak Arabic because thats who lives there. Racist?
edit on 19-10-2011 by LazloFarnsworth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
It's on every job application I've ever filled out, and that's been well over a thousand.

If you still think it's racist or something, talk to these people:
EEOC

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
It's just odd to see the look on their faces when they ask me if I speak fluent spanish .. when I say no..

I am a pale white Readhead... I have a hard enough time LMAO

I just figured since MY pale white ass is a minority in my town that Equal Oppurtunity emplyment would get me a job ( yes I am compitent LoL)

I mean every business need a token ginger right ?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by nutzmctaffy
www.flickr.com/photos/48423325@N05/6259518551/in/photostream

EVERY damn application I fill out asks me this... AND EVERY job interview Ask me if I speak spanish and Seem to look down on me when I don't..

I live in Fresno California... Where we have More Mexicans than any other race..

Umm Not to be racist myself but WHY should I have to learn spanish when this is America....

I just find very Discriminating when we have huge unemployment numbers and I being a Honky is almost required to learn spanish to get a job

It's Truly the Biggest Pile Of Bovine Fecal Matter I have been dealing with...

Just want your opinions... Is it ok to basically ask me if I am either Latino or Not on an application ...

edit on 19-10-2011 by nutzmctaffy because: link fix

I dont know why you should have to learn spanish, but its a valid question. I wonder how natives felt when Europeans showed up and decided that they had to speak another language or die. Sucks dont it. Not having a choice. Im not a "latino" myself and im not spanish so.. I tend to agree and I dont blame you. Those tyranical european Kings and Queens with their gold lusts, inquisitions and and.. darned nosey explorers!! make you learn spanish. How dare they. This is an outrage.

Its a dumb question to ask but what the hell. It'll give you something to joke about at the water cooler.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Why is it racist, to want to employ someone, who grasps basic Spanish, when the majority of the costumers are Spanish, now if they said Mexicans only apply, then yeah, piss and moan, but as a employer myself, i want the right person for the job, and if that job involves dealing with mainly Spanish speaking people, then yeah, i want someone who speaks the language.

That is not racist, that's getting the right person for the position in question.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

The example image that the OP posted asks if you are
Hispanic / Latino. It does not ask if you speak Spanish.
A white person can speak Spanish too, so it seems it
does not apply to just the language here.

Where I work we prefer people that speak Dutch, English,
German and if possible French. We do not ask for your
race when you apply.

edit on 19-10-2011 by snewpers because: typo

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by snewpers

That was my point, its not racist, to want to employ someone with language skills, which the job in question entails, and the OP doesn't fit requirements.

A white person can speak Spanish too

Really, glad you told me that !

the OP said:

required to learn spanish to get a job

Which suggests, the job is only suited for a multi lingual person, and has nothing to do with race discrimination, i bet your life, it wasn't worded like the OP suggests.

His just got the arse, because he never got the job he wanted.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Glad I could enlighten you about white people talking
Spanish.

Anyway, I was commenting on the image in the post
where they ask if you are Hispanic. They are not
asking for language skills, they ask if you are Hispanic.

If I would put 'are you caucasian?' on a job application
hell would break loose.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

It IS legal for them to ask you what nationality you are. And if you "choose" not to answer it (which is your right) then the interviewer is required to fill it out anyway based on the face to face interview with you. They can also make speaking spanish a "job" requirement. And it is not illegal.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by snewpers

DEAD ON....

It's basically saying

are you latino or not

...I agree if they said..

Are you white or not people would be bitchin saying it's racist

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I always write in HUMAN RACE regardless of the choices. How archaic to ask our race, there is only one race and that is HUMAN.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Well first of all...Latino is an ethnicity...not a race. That is why you can't pick Caucasian...did you know (most) Mexicans are Caucasian as well???

Second...knowing a language is a skill...just like any other job skill. If you live in an area that has a lot of spanish speaking people...then it is a very useful skill to have.

No discrimination involved...unless you consider not getting a job as a Chef because you don't know how to cook discrimination as well.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I hate political correctness but in this case I don't reckon it's racism, they need someone who can speak Spanish, if you could you may have had a job.

I remember about 15 years back seeing a job application that literally stated ''people from ethnic minorities especially welcome to apply as this area of employment is currently under-representated by the ethnic minority'' and THAT is what you call racist. I was effing disgusted when I saw it.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Who said it's "required"? Still though, if you were an employer, you'd have to admit that if a lot of your customers speak Spanish, you'd see it as an asset. Personally, if I lived in CA, I'd learn Spanish. I live in FL, and I can speak it enough to get by, but I'd really like to learn it much better.

Yes, this is ok. For some companies (those that have Federal contracts, for example), they HAVE to, to ensure they meet diversity guidelines. They aren't violating any law in asking you, as Title VII does not prohibit asking this info.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join