It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats your favourite War related book?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Hey Im currently looking for a book/novel to read about war, can be anything from past to present, preferably and adventure type but can also be non-fiction, aswell as hold a good amount of infomation about that particular war would be good to, so give me any suggestions you might have.

My personal favourite is the "Tomorrow Series" - John Marsden.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I have read too many books about war to count, but I always find personal accounts of the foot soldiers the most compelling. There are a few which stand out, but there is one I find the most incredible.
Read 'The Forgotten Soldier ' written by Guy Sajer. I read this book some years ago. It traces Guy Sajer's career as a German soldier in the ' Gross Deutschland ' division fighting on the Eastern Front in WWII. He was conscripted when he was 16 and witnessed the apocalypse of the E front from the harsh training of the German army to the final hellish battles of the NE Germany, against a enourmously superior Soviet foe.
This book describes what it was like for the German soldier who cares not about ideology but just mere survival against overwhelming odds.

There have been doubts cast about the authenticity of his experiences, but I believe his testament to the most terrible of wars ( Eastern Front ) is true.

click here for THE FORGOTTEN SOLDIER AT AMAZON

[Edited on 8-4-2003 by mad scientist]

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 08:28 AM
link   
thanks
ill have a look to see if they sell it here in australia.

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Get Marine! life of Chesty Puller. This guy makes Patton look like a little girly man

www.amazon.com...=1049813226/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/103-3978431-4861452?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

posted on Apr, 8 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Hemingway: A Farewell to Arms.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Well the book store didn't have 'The Forgotten Soldier' in so i bought 'Bravo Two Zero', an oldie but it's the best military seller here in Aus, so i thought i would give it a go. Anyone else read it?

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I have read Bravo20 and another book by one of the SAS patrol members ( called ' the one that got away ').

Bravo 20 is ok, but is no comparison to the Forgotten Soldier. Also other members of the patrol say that Andy McNab wasn't entirely truthful in his recounting of events.

Not a bad book, I would rank it as mediocre in terms of personal accounts.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 04:28 AM
link   
well they said they could order it in, i dont really buy stuff off the internet, but yeh TFS will difinitly be the next book i buy.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I think Andy Mcnab is great writer, though I have not read Bravo Two Zero, All of his other books have been great. So I am pretty sure that Bravo Two Zero will be a great read.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   
If you can ,get a copy of "dont cry for me seargent major " its about some of the more humourous aspects of the Falklands war as told by a writer who was there ,its an excellent read and funny too.Also there was a sequel to this called "dont laugh out loud seargent major" about the British Rhine army forces during the cold war.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I like to read anything by Stephen Ambrose. He wrote Band of brothers that was made into a series on HBO.

Fiction wise, I like to read BOLO. A futuristic tank novel. Very good read. Also novels by dale brown (flight of the old dog). Another good author is tom clancy. WWIII was great.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 10:32 PM
link   
by sun tzu

art of war

top topics

join