It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

48 Wild Bears, Tigers, Lions and Wolves Escape Enclosure.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012

Originally posted by e11888

I'm ashamed of all the pro-animal, anti-human attitudes many of my fellow ATSers are displaying. That's extremely sad. Human life is by far more precious than that of any animal. The sherrif's dept's main job is to protect the citizens of it's county/parrish. Their actions to kill the dangerous AND DISEASED animals should be applauded. I'm glad we'll see no stories like:

"Girl 3 missing, lion and tiger seen nearby earlier, sherrif's dept had plenty of opportunities to put the carnivorous animals down but were prevented by the new PETA-inspired ordinance."

IMAGINE THIS SCENARIO
Your child is outside playing on her jungle-gym, you are watching from the kitchen window, you see a tiger approach her from the bushes, you just heard on the radio that a diseased tiger was on the loose in your town, a deputy just pulled into your driveway, he has his rifle pointed at the tiger, he has a clean shot for now, the tiger will reach your child in 10 seconds, the deputy looks at you for approval of the kill.....do you give it to him?

edit on 20-10-2011 by primus2012 because: (no reason given)

And how many bengal tigers = 1 human? The last time I checked we just hit 7 billion as a population. What the population of bengal tigers? 3000? Yes we are intelligent but so are these animals. They are not mindless cows or deer that are too stupid to walk straight. This would be like killing dolphins because we are superier! The mentality behind this logic is sickening.

Its not about being pro human or pro animal or pro anything. Its about having a #ing brain in your head and understanding that these morons just wiped out 1.5% of a dying species.
edit on 20-10-2011 by e11888 because: (no reason given)

Those morons as you call them had to react quickly to protect human life.
All the animals in the world combined do not equal the value of 1 human life.

Really? Because if you wiped out all the animals in the world humanity wouldnt exist anymore. How very primitive of you. If human beings really thought so highly of each other we wouldnt be killing each other throughout our entire history in the name of war, God, greed, power or wealth. Get off your high horse.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This is a very sad unfortunate story, I can only imagine how scared those animals were being totally out of their element... Its one of those stories where you're dammed if you do, and youre dammed if you dont...This was a no win type story. If you kill the animals you are going to piss off all the animal lovers, but if you try to capture them all (with cages, tranqs, etc) and one kills a person you are going to get the wrath of the city, state, and nation...
RIP good animals, it wasnt your fault that your psychotic owner let you all go before killing himself

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

Originally posted by solarstorm

Originally posted by josh2009s

Hopefully everyone stays safe and these animals are either captured, or killed.

Why should the animals be killed? Is any of this THEIR fault?

As sad as this is, you have to understand the circumstances. If you can imagine seeing 18 tigers and 17 lions all beginning their way into town I don't think there is time to react. Can you imagine what would have happened if you were standing in the street surrounded by 25 cats of prey. Children and adults alike completely unaware as they walk to the store, come home from school, work? There would have been total carnage, maulings, deaths, it would have been horrible.

What you dont understand is that this could happen right now. Mountain lions do exist in America. Bears and wolves do exist in America. People do get attacked by wild animals. It happens when you share a planet with predators. Nobody in this thread as yet been able to explain to me why the bears and wolves were killed? They exist in the area you shot them in. Whats the point of killing an animal native to the land you're trying to protect?

This is not about animal lovers. Its about killing off 1.5% of a dying species and killing animals like bears and wolves that are native to the land. These cops went on a 15+ hour safari and never once thought to call in animal control, use a tranq gun or zone off the area to attempt to bring them in alive? I call bull im sorry but I have to. This was target practice or complete incompetence.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

I am on team HUMAN and I applaude the officers in their attempts to keep their citizens whom they've sworn to protect "off the menu". While I would have liked to have had all of the animals tranq'd and secured via non-lethal means , the risk to human life outweighs the reward of saving animal life in this instance.

S&F

edit on 19-10-2011 by EyesWideShut because: .

One of the most sensible posts I have seen in a long time.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by e11888

These were captive animals who relied on someone to feed them. A great deal different than a wild, self-sustaining, people-shy, mountain lion. They would've gone after the easiest food supply that their sense fo smell brought them to...neighboring homes, garbage cans, leashed or fenced in pets, farm animals, children playing outside, slow moving adults
, etc... Also, sure a bear may not exactly want to eat you at first, but if you turned a corner and spooked it or vice-versa, goodnight Irene. Lion, tiger, wolf, they see you as dinner. HIV infected monkey sees you as a threat and something to bite.

Captive animals lose their inate fear of humans, making them ever so much more dangerous than wild ones.
Tigers, lions, bears, and wolves kill plenty of humans each year if that makes you feel any better.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

Originally posted by solarstorm

Originally posted by josh2009s

Hopefully everyone stays safe and these animals are either captured, or killed.

Why should the animals be killed? Is any of this THEIR fault?

As sad as this is, you have to understand the circumstances. If you can imagine seeing 18 tigers and 17 lions all beginning their way into town I don't think there is time to react. Can you imagine what would have happened if you were standing in the street surrounded by 25 cats of prey. Children and adults alike completely unaware as they walk to the store, come home from school, work? There would have been total carnage, maulings, deaths, it would have been horrible.

What you dont understand is that this could happen right now. Mountain lions do exist in America. Bears and wolves do exist in America. People do get attacked by wild animals. It happens when you share a planet with predators. Nobody in this thread as yet been able to explain to me why the bears and wolves were killed? They exist in the area you shot them in. Whats the point of killing an animal native to the land you're trying to protect?

This is not about animal lovers. Its about killing off 1.5% of a dying species and killing animals like bears and wolves that are native to the land. These cops went on a 15+ hour safari and never once thought to call in animal control, use a tranq gun or zone off the area to attempt to bring them in alive? I call bull im sorry but I have to. This was target practice or complete incompetence.

Hi e11888,

I get what you're saying, really I do. I am pretty upset about the tigers in particular. But we humans are ridiculously vulnerable when confronted by wildlife. Every species that was there is bigger than us, stronger than us, and could kill us easily even if we're armed. Especially the big cats. A defenseless child would be nothing more than a tasty snack for them.

The man who owned these animals and set them free is to blame, not the animals themselves, I agree with that. But you can't allow them to get near a populated area. This could really have been a disaster, and not just for humans. The damage to the present ecosystem would have been enormous.

If nothing else, maybe Ohio, which has the most lax exotic animal laws in the country, will crack down on this sort of thing. So maybe some good will come out of it.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Nobody in this thread as yet been able to explain to me why the bears and wolves were killed? They exist in the area you shot them in.

You forget that the animals in the wild have never been fed by man, sure they may scavenge for food through trash and things but never have been fed by man. Wild animals have a natural fear of man. These animals were fed by man, blurring the line between the natural fear of man.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

reply to post by e11888

These were captive animals who relied on someone to feed them. A great deal different than a wild, self-sustaining, people-shy, mountain lion. They would've gone after the easiest food supply that their sense fo smell brought them to...neighboring homes, garbage cans, leashed or fenced in pets, farm animals, children playing outside, slow moving adults
, etc... Also, sure a bear may not exactly want to eat you at first, but if you turned a corner and spooked it or vice-versa, goodnight Irene. Lion, tiger, wolf, they see you as dinner. HIV infected monkey sees you as a threat and something to bite.

Captive animals lose their inate fear of humans, making them ever so much more dangerous than wild ones.
Tigers, lions, bears, and wolves kill plenty of humans each year if that makes you feel any better.

Which is probably why some of these animals sat there infront of their cage as the original story stated. Why were these animals killed? If they werent being hostile and werent trying to leave why shoot them dead? You dont just start killing things when you have other options. The area could have been zoned off and these cops couldve used tranq guns. If an animal is attacking you then by all means defend yourself or another person. But an animal sitting outside of its cage? No.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by e11888

Grey Wolves and Grizzlys to be native in Ohio but now their territory is limited to the extreme northwest and Canada. So now there as exotic to Ohio as a tiger.

This story is very sad, but I can't really blame the sheriff and his men for their actions. They were put in a precarious situation. They were trying to round up this fast, agile, and incredibly dangerous animals while it was getting dark.

Many of the officers simply didn't have tranquiler guns. Its not a standard item they carry. You tell me that if you have a tiger or lion that isn't fleeing but is standing there in front of you, that you are going to wait til someone brings a tranquilizer gun?

I am sorry but no animal is worth a human life, no matter what it is.
edit on 20-10-2011 by Jo Jo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I am upset to that the big cats were taken down..
BUT if it came down to a big cat and my child, well lets just say that animal would die of "lead" poisoning.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Which is probably why some of these animals sat there infront of their cage as the original story stated. Why were these animals killed? If they werent being hostile and werent trying to leave why shoot them dead? You dont just start killing things when you have other options. The area could have been zoned off and these cops couldve used tranq guns. If an animal is attacking you then by all means defend yourself or another person. But an animal sitting outside of its cage? No.

I comes down to fear and the unknown, I am pretty sure known of these officers were trained experts in area of exotic game. They could not read the animals actions as either violent or non-violent.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jo Jo
reply to post by e11888

Many of the officers simply didn't have tranquiler guns. Its not a standard item they carry. You tell me that if you have a tiger or lion that isn't fleeing but is standing there in front of you, that you are going to wait til someone brings a tranquilizer gun?

Dont get me wrong Id have a gun trained on it. The second it started moving towards me it would be shot. But no I wouldnt just start opening fire as soon as I seen it. These cops are trained to keep their cool in situations like these though.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I also dont fully understand how a lunatic gets his hands on SOOO many exotic animals?? How did he feed all these animals? How did the state of Ohio not nip it in the bud before it even got going? I blame the owner (who is now dead) and I blame the State of Ohio for their negligent behaviour...

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
I also dont fully understand how a lunatic gets his hands on SOOO many exotic animals?? How did he feed all these animals? How did the state of Ohio not nip it in the bud before it even got going? I blame the owner (who is now dead) and I blame the State of Ohio for their negligent behaviour...

Because it's Ohio. 'Nuff said.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Lions, Tigers and Bears!...OH MY!

I don't know the whole story, but did the police actually have the means to tranq and capture all of the animals to begin with? I seriously doubt they could safely handle that many without putting human life at risk.
We had a bear loose in my town not to long ago and the police had to put it down because their Animal Control Dept. did not have the equipment necessary to deal with it.
I wish they could have saved these animals also. But human life comes first. Sorry activists...your arguments hold no water here.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappyBunny

No excuse. The state should have taken these animals years ago.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by backfourty

No excuse. The state should have taken these animals years ago.

I agree. But when they refuse to pass tougher laws against it, something like this was bound to happen sooner or later. Maybe now they'll do something.

We have an alligator that someone set loose in a reservoir not far from here. They're trying to capture it--if they don't, it's not going to survive much longer. It's just too cold for it. It might even be dead already.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This story really irks me.

I can't get over this apparent John Wayne tack that the sheriff went straight after. The way these animals were shot looks contained and not as threatening as it was perceived. To call a passel of goomba rednecks together for fish barrel shoot of a bunch displaced animals is just is not right.

I understand that this was community threat, but, this area is extremely rural and the leaves are pretty much off the trees, and these animals not drastically hungry. It is not reported that they were fighting amongst themselves, so they were complacent and apparently not gun shy.

It appears that there is a long history of irresponsibility on the part of the decedent, (whom I cannot paint as an innocent), that festered to this final unfortunate resolve. This was a painful feud that we have no insight into its true depth. The final irresponsible act of the suicide and animal release was vindictive and a thumbing of the nose at his adversaries.

Places like this should not exist. I don't understand what this menagerie was all about. Was this a cat lady on steroids scenario or was there some money making exploitation of these animals? Fifty + exotics in one place is way over the top. Look what happened last year with just one old chimp; that was terrible.

But I feel the human threat was not as imminent as it was perceived. Like I stated earlier, hypothetically, these were lazy, complacent animals.. Their culling was a premature solution to an irregular problem. Perhaps some drugged piles of meat placed in the vicinity would have provided a more acceptable end. I, I, feel that calling in your buddies to whack some animals of opportunity was a crime unto itself and was nothing more than seriously BAD call for a sheriff and just stinks of a Walking Tall remake. The sheriff should be called on the carpet, but I suspect that the people to call him to task are just as stupid as he and were more than likely lock and load privy to this blood fest.

Like I posted earlier, this stinks in a hundred different ways.
edit on 20-10-2011 by RighteousDude because: typo

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Please elaborate.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
There's a reason for the saying: "Dog is man's best friend" - opposite to "Man is another man's best friend" and this whole situation with mindless zombies killing animals is one of the reasons.

To quote Mark Twain: "The more I know people, the more I love my dog."

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join