It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

48 Wild Bears, Tigers, Lions and Wolves Escape Enclosure.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
This is happening in my hometown of Zanesville, Ohio, and it all started around 5:30p.m..

It all started at 270 Kopchak Road on the farm of Terry Thompson. "Deputies arrived on the scene and found animals outside the fencedarea, and we did have to shoot them," says Sheriff Matt Lutz. Lutz says he received a call around 5:30 p.m. that 48 wild animals including lions, bears, tigers and wolves were freed from a rescueshelter. The home belongs to 61-year-old Terry Thompson, who has afelony histoy and was recently released from prison. "We have found Mr. Thompson at the house, and we have confirmed thathe is deceased at this point. He was found outside," says Lutz. Lutz says Thompson's cause of death is not being released at this time.

This is only about 4 miles from my parents house, and approximately 7 from my house. Terry wasn't Zanesville's finest, to say the least. In fact, there had been several petitions to have the animal's removed from his custody. Why? For one, they are not safe. And, for about a quarter mile in any direction, you could smell the filth wafting off of him and his property.

In the meantime, deputies are armed with assault rifles and they aretaking down animals as they find them. The Ohio Department of NaturalResources and the State Highway Patrol are assisting the Sheriff'sOffice. "They have a helicopter that was able to get up with the weather.They're coming in with a heat-seeking camera to see if we can findanything loose," says Lutz.

You can bet I'll be in the tree stand all day tomorrow. If I find anything loose, I'll take many pictures and share them with you guys!

The Wilds has also been called to bring tranquilizers to the area.Lutz says this isn't the first time Thompsons' animals have gottenout-of-control, but he did own them legally. "We've dealt with this for a long time, and to our knowledge, it's notagainst the law for a felon to have the rescue license and permits forthese animals," he says.

Felon's are not allowed to vote in Ohio, yet they can have dozens of extremely dangerous animal's? The wild's is and animal sanctuary that is home to thousands of exotic animal's. Owned by Jack Hanna, it is the largest wildlife sactuary in Ohio. What makes the situation worse, is the close proximity to schools. 3 schools are within 3.5 miles of where the animals escaped, and another is slightly further.

Zanesville, Maysville, Foxfire, Starlight and West Muskingum Schools are closed Wednesday due to the situation.

Official's are saying the animal's were let loose on purpose. What has to be going through someone mind when they knowingly release these deadly animal's into a habitat not of their own?

No people have been injured so far and hunters have been notified to leave. "Hopefully, once we get the house and crime scene secured, we canstart taking a body count on what we were able to kill around thehouse and in the area, and we'll have an idea of what we have left outthere," he says. Authorities will work throughout the night. So far at least 25 animals have been killed.

Image of The Wilds.

Hopefully everyone stays safe and these animals are either captured, or killed. Although, the local news Facebook page has been blowing up with people begging to not kill the animals. What do you think? Should the officials delay the safety of citizens and try to capture these humanely? Or, should they eliminate the threat to the public as fast as possible?

Original News Source

Another Source

Jack Hanna's Website

The Wilds

About Terry Thompson

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'm afraid they're already deceased

I think they should have tranquilized them , there were zoo keepers assisting but the police just shot them all.

www.suntimes.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ujustneverknow

They aren't all dead yet. Last count is at 25, which means 23 are still alive.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
somewheres in our uiniverse,

humans and humanoids suffer the same cage cruelty!

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
this is what happens when you give a cop a gun.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ujustneverknow
I'm afraid they're already deceased

I think they should have tranquilized them , there were zoo keepers assisting but the police just shot them all.

www.suntimes.com...

Very sad

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by robomont
this is what happens when you give a cop a gun.

What, protect thousands of people?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by josh2009s Hopefully everyone stays safe and these animals are either captured, or killed.

How typical of the brave

I pray captured & taken to a empathetic reserve
edit on 19/10/2011 by Burgo1010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burgo1010

Originally posted by josh2009s Hopefully everyone stays safe and these animals are either captured, or killed.

How typical of the brave

I pray captured & taken to a empathetic reserve
edit on 19/10/2011 by Burgo1010 because: (no reason given)

You better pray for the safety of the children and adults in the area, too. Unless you don't care about them. Wouldn't surprise me. People like you would probably feed their cousins to the animals to make sure they are happy.
edit on 19-10-2011 by josh2009s because: Punctuation.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by josh2009s

Hopefully everyone stays safe and these animals are either captured, or killed.

Why should the animals be killed? Is any of this THEIR fault?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I pray for the animals.. If it wasn't for us this would not be an issue. we capture and and they escape and we shoot to kill. We're over our idiot quota here on earth.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm

Hopefully everyone stays safe and these animals are either captured, or killed.

I honestly don't care what happens to them as long as the threat is removed. I know it's not their fault, but it's not a deer's fault it walked in front of a tree stand during hunting season. It is not a fishes fault that someone put a worm on a hook. It's not a cows fault we enjoy steak. People have to put people first, always. If you want these animals to be happy, then give them something to snack on.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlapTheGinkels
I pray for the animals.. If it wasn't for us this would not be an issue. we capture and and they escape and we shoot to kill. We're over our idiot quota here on earth.

Yes, the "idiots." Well I'm sure all the geniuses are "praying" to "God" that the animals are safe no matter what happens to the humans. That's pathetic.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I think animals are great , I respect them very much (and they taste AWESOME!) I've never harvested an animal I didn't eat , but some of you PETA types need to think rationally and stop trying to humanize animals. They are animals and operate on instinct , they don't rationalize... i.e. If they are higher on the food chain than you are , you're not friends you're food... doesn't matter how much you love their cuddly fuzzy selves... you are a meal.

I am on team HUMAN and I applaude the officers in their attempts to keep their citizens whom they've sworn to protect "off the menu". While I would have liked to have had all of the animals tranq'd and secured via non-lethal means , the risk to human life outweighs the reward of saving animal life in this instance.

S&F

edit on 19-10-2011 by EyesWideShut because: .

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

I was beginning to lose hope in myself and ATS until you posted.

Thanks's for the reply and I couldn't agree with you anymore.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm

The animals should be killed because they eat people. No it's not the animals fault , if a lion ate you would it be his fault? Of course not, that's what he's supposed to do.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

reply to post by EyesWideShut

I was beginning to lose hope in myself and ATS until you posted.

Thanks's for the reply and I couldn't agree with you anymore.

I was in disbelief myself reading the replies , I'm an animal lover too but c'mon! If this happened in THEIR neighborhood they'd be the 1st ones enraged that the national guard wasn't called. It's all fun and games till someone gets eaten!

Having been out in the wild within 75 yards of a Mountain Lion with no firearm within arms distance , I can tell you it is indeed a humbling experience when you realize that you just lost your spot at the top of the foodchain...definately a high pucker factor!
edit on 19-10-2011 by EyesWideShut because: Edit to add anecdote

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
This is ridiculous, how on earth do FOURTY EIGHT BEARS LIONS AND TIGERS AND WOLVES escape a zoo?

I don't understand you guys.

This shouldn'tve happened and they don't deserve to die, they didn't choose to be at the zoo in the first place.

Where's the tranquilizer bullets?
edit on 19-10-2011 by Realm52 because: Forgot to add WOLVES to the list

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realm52
This is ridiculous, how on earth do FOURTY EIGHT BEARS LIONS AND TIGERS AND WOLVES escape a zoo?

I don't understand you guys.

This shouldn'tve happened and they don't deserve to die, they didn't choose to be at the zoo in the first place.

Where's the tranquilizer bullets?

It's not a zoo. It was a regular guy with an out of control hobby in his back yard. After his wife asked him for a divorce he decided to open up all of their cages and then put a bullet in his head. Evidently he really didn't care about the animals after-all, because it is his actions that are ultimately getting these animals killed.

P.S. What do you mean "you guys?" Are you inferring that I let the animals loose? Please help me understand what your point is.
edit on 19-10-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Realm52

Zoo?

A Zoo takes precautions.

I would have my firearm ready,for the first WILD animal that comes my way,or my kids way.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join