It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darpa Wants to Master the Science of Propaganda

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

www.wired.com

The program is called “Narrative Networks.” By understanding how stories have shaped your mind, the Pentagon hopes to sniff out who has fallen prey to dangerous ideas...

...In the first 18-month phase of the program, the Pentagon wants researchers to study how stories infiltrate social networks and alter our brain circuits. One of the stipulated research goals: to “explore the function narratives serve in the process of political radicalization..."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
This is an interesting develpment. Science meets propaganda on the cutting edge of the war for the human mind.

The government is going to study "narratives" or "stories" iand try to produce its own. Least you think this is an excuse for academics to paw uselessly through old novels, let's be clear: A "story" has a very wide-ranging definition under this program. Pretty much any form of structured information designed to pursuade can be construed as a "story" in this sense. When you post on ATS, for example, you are constructing a "story." And the government is interested in all the stories floating around...particularly those to do with politcs.

But there's more...they go beyond what people say in an attempt to use neuroscience to get inside people's skulls. This is only the most recent of a growing list of such endevors.

The program will involve both survalience/information intake and attempts to pursuade, grounded in neurological principles.

The article goes on:

“The government is already trying to control the message, so why not have the science to do it in a systematic way?” said the researcher familiar with the project.

The program will involve both observation and attempts to influence how people think.,

When the project enters into a second 18-month phase, it’ll use the research gathered to build “optimized prototype technologies in the form of documents, software, hardware and devices.” What will these be? Existing technology can carry out micro-facial feature analysis, and measure the dilation of blood vessels and eye pupils. MRI machines can determine which parts of your brain is lighting up when it responds to stories. Darpa wants to do even better.

In fact, it’s calling for devices that detect the influence of stories in unseen ways..

It's a brave new world out there. Hope everyone out there has their tinfoil hats on...you never know who's trying to peer into your cranium these days.

www.wired.com

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Heh... heh...

/logout

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

More of a confession than an announcement.

Governments and their backers have been using propaganda for at least hundreds of years. Mass media has made it just that more interesting to those who want to control how we think.

Through the leadership of the SRI in the 1960's, marketing techniques were perfected that have been used by corporations to sell products and parties to sell candidates ever since.

The concept of the "story" is just a recent twist or tweak to the psychological model that someone sold DARPA on. I'm sure they'll get as much mileage as they can out of it.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
More proof that science has no conscience when it comes to funding....

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Well there's another department Ron Paul can close down.

Do we really need MORE funding on researches like this which only benefit the few?
edit on 19-10-2011 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
their doing Goebbels proud .. Amerika the masters of propaganda..

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
They certainly do and are:

Context on this thread and to see who DAARPAs teacher/guru/mentor will be found in one of the most ignored, but important and open parts of the conspiracy world can be found here:

The Mother of all Social monitoring & Engineering

Take the name of the organisation you find above,
go to google "scholar" search the following exactly without the brackets
("mind control" "Tavistock Institute") as the tens of thousands of published scholar and university results that come up, will show you that these guys have this down to a tee, and have for a very long time within all governments 3 letter organisations and corporations & universities worldwide.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This is not a military tool for National Defense.

This is a tool to seek out those who've found the truth and use tactics against them.

Mexico's Drug Cartels chop off heads.....Darpa and DOD have tools of their own.

It's Judgement Day and it's not God judging....it's Satan. And he's got tools to kill.

Don't you fear for the children who are entering this world? The 4th Reich has risen.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Government agencies charged with social engineering always seem to be several steps behind the advertising industry. For several years now, ads have taken on a overt narrative, rather than an expository or persuasive form. The story often has only a tangential relation to the product, and I bet we'll see that pattern replicated in the state permutation of this trend.

What makes us human? It's not the tools, it's not the language. It's the need to tell and hear stories. And it's one hell of a crowbar to wield for those wanting to jimmy open our poor craniums.
edit on 19-10-2011 by mistermonculous because: Tain't grammatical.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This isn't new. Just the method of delivery. I'm damned certain that the social network 'story' phenomenon has been under scrutiny since the creation of message boards or even news groups.
For those of you interested in the history and methodology, here's a decent PDF on the subject - Propaganda through the Ages

if more people on here took the time to study the subject then there would be fewer political party posts...

We covered propaganda for a course when I was at college. I chose the old WW2 magazine King and Country as I'd inherited a bundle of them.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
THEGUT actually read my post, and my signature. It's the second link. Just thought you should check it out.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

www.wired.com

The program is called “Narrative Networks.” By understanding how stories have shaped your mind, the Pentagon hopes to sniff out who has fallen prey to dangerous ideas...

...In the first 18-month phase of the program, the Pentagon wants researchers to study how stories infiltrate social networks and alter our brain circuits. One of the stipulated research goals: to “explore the function narratives serve in the process of political radicalization..."

Who's playing first
... How much for DARPA???... How about every One illuminate dollar???...

Who gets the money

DARPA does

Who then owns DARPA

"I" will

Mr X-ULTRA/PITCHER... needs a good catcher...

Back to China

Who owns China

Triple play

Mr X-ULTRA/STINKER... what about Lockheed

Back to first

Who owns Lockheed

The Gray's

What team are they on
Foul Ball
MJ-12(?????) Group

Who's MJ-12(?????) Group

GALACTIC LEVEL SECRET... NATURALLY

Mr X-ULTRA/DCS1111/WEB-BOT/ALGORITHIM/MASTER... BEER HERE... GET YOUR ICE COLD... BEER HERE... CME
Foul Ball
... GET YOUR HOT FRESH ROASTED DARPA PEANUTS HERE... HOT FRESH ROASTED DARPA PEANUTS HERE...

edit on 19-10-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: GOT GALACTIC POPCORN

edit on 19-10-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: 10th Galactic Level... GOT HEMP BUTTER

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Haha political radicalization. DARPA must mean like how the "NWO extremists" became radicalized.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

From what I gather, Darpa and friends already have. At the least, thay have created a "library"
that would put "The Lost Scrolls and Library of Alexandria" to shame.

S&F
edit on 19-10-2011 by Wildmanimal because: grammar/typo

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
18 Month project ??

They should do a one week NLP Course, followed by a one week Marketing course, and there you are.

Then they could spend the 17.5 Months on figuring out how to save taxpayers money.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal

From what I gather, Darpa and friends already have. At the least, thay have created a "library"
that would put "The Lost Scroll and Library of Alexandria" to shame.

S&F
Lucky "I" just bought the 'Heavenly Scroll Black Knight Satellite'... Using my credits in Heaven... of course

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
To understand the science of propaganda is basically understanding how the human brain works, they have been doing this for decades, just never on this scale. TPTB have been directly involve in propaganda since the romans, there is very little they dont know about it and how it affects us "sheeple".

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
To understand the science of propaganda is basically understanding how the human brain works, they have been doing this for decades, just never on this scale. TPTB have been directly involve in propaganda since the romans, there is very little they dont know about it and how it affects us "sheeple".

Know Thydigiself

You must of read Digi-Mind Penetration... By L-3 Communications... The makers of the TSA backscatter systems

Mr X-ULTRA/FIREWALL... All Day I Dream About Sex... Runing over and over again in my head... Sucker brain scanner MC's... Can catch me with My Adidas on... What's my name

GRANDMASTER X-ULTRA

edit on 19-10-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: And KING of AlGoreIthms

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
A good example of propaganda was the toddler run over in China. A horrific story which got everyone's blood boiling and on the warpath (including mine). Without doubt TPTB utilized it and encouraged it to go viral (just ask yourselves why Youtube didn't pull such a horrific video worthy of Ogrish Forums when they would usually). Deep inside your subconscious you now equate the Chinese with inhuman and at some point in the future this will be reinforced with similar imagery prior to a conflict or political machination with them.
Just today I was in a Chinese shop and I couldn't help myself looking at them differently, wondering....

The Chinese then countered this with the story about another toddler being rescued from a well after being down there for 4 days to show how caring the civil service is and how much each child means to the state.
But this failed mainly due to the fact that it took 4 days before they decided to get the baby out.

Perhaps thr Chinese could enrol on a DARPA course?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join