It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sniper Rifles: Top 10

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erno86
Right now, due to bad experiences in the theater of Afghanistan, the U.S. armed forces are getting a sniper rifle that almost looks like a standard M-4 - AR-15 style rifle from FN USA; so as to make it harder for the enemy to target a sniper or designated marksman.

Will tell you more later unless someone can tell me the number and caliber of the sniper rifle.

What kind of issues are they experiencing overseas? Is the terrain impacting ballistics and performance? I'd be curious to know.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Mosin-Nagant was not a snipers rifle.

Yes the russians used a few as snipers rifles.

But all Mosin-Nagants were tested at the factory and only a couple out of 1000s that tested were extra accurate and were scoped and used by snipers. this is called building a snipers rifle by luck.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Since when? Whatever rifle a sniper uses is a snipers rifle and nagant was used by quite a few? That qualifies as a sniper rifle hands down.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
My preference is one that shoots a 50 cal round. Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Chuck would NOT be pleased, and if you dont like guns, why post? Yes, it.s the opperator, but better equipment helps.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I don't know whether or not you've ever been to a small arms factory and witnessed a bench test, but your statement is, I am afraid, wrong. Each and every weapon produced, anywhere in the world, has to be bench tested.

The reason for the bench test, is to prove the weapon and to ensure the chamber, breech and magazine housing can cope with the tremendous pressures created as the round detonates when the firing pin strikes the percussion cap in the cartridge.

In the UK, all the weapons that are produced are test fired in single shot and fully automatic mode - after all, you would not issue an untested weapon to a soldier as it could explode in his face any more than you would be allowed to drive a motor vehicle without passing a test to make sure you could drive safely. Or would you?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
A sniper has a cold bore shot at a target a mile and a half away.

Said sniper needs a round a little more accurate than the Barrett .50.

Try the Barrett .416?

dsc.discovery.com...

FutureWeapons SHORTS: Barrett 416 Bullet
On Discovery Channel's series "Future Weapons," The Barrett 416 bullet is used for snipers achieving accuracy for distances over 2000 yards. The bullet is smaller than the typical .50 caliber round, and can travel much faster.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
A slingshot or a compound bow can be used as a 'Sniper Rifle' when in capable hands.

We're just talking the differences in ranges, is all.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
There's a lot of talk about sniper rifles here, but there are basically two factors contributing to poor shooting in general.

Poor rifle skills, and a poor trigger.

A good, totally stock factory rifle with a good shooter behind it, with a good trigger under it, can shoot MOA all day and this is about the limit of marksmanship unless you are shooting off a rest, without any wind.

Probably most people who own fancy sniper rifles are never going to achieve good marksmanship because of lack of practice.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join