It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Son of Stuxnet' virus could be used to attack critical computers worldwide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

A powerful new computer virus that some are calling the "Son of Stuxnet" has been discovered, and researchers are concerned about its potential for attacking critical infrastructure computers around the world.

"There is a common trait among the (computers) being attacked," he said. "They involve industrial command and control systems."

Symantec speculates that Duqu ("Son of Stuxnet") is merely gathering intelligence as a precursor to a future industrial-strength attack on infrastructure computers.

The article mentions the previous attack on Iran's nuclear systems by Stuxnet and that if we thought then that whoever was behind Stuxnet had good intentions than we can go ahead and believe that whoever is behind this "son of Stuxnet" also has good intentions.

And if we believe that whoever created Stuxnet in the first place didn't have good intentions...well, they probably don't have good intentions with this worm either.

The two forms of worm have such similarities that virus tracking software identifies "Duqu" as the original Stuxnet virus.

Scary stuff. I wonder what kind of intelligence gathering this worm is doing and who it is doing it for?

Anyone have any ideas?

Source

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
All the more reason to design every critical system with manual control options, mechnical safties, and not leave every critical decisions up to the software.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
When it comes to computers - MMmm Sorry - I use the key board and I'm a fast typist but that's where it ends. I do have a basic understanding of what a Virus is (I had one last week and my nose is still sore lol)

Seriously - could this be the excuse they will use when the internet goes down???

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
When it comes to computers - MMmm Sorry - I use the key board and I'm a fast typist but that's where it ends. I do have a basic understanding of what a Virus is (I had one last week and my nose is still sore lol)

Seriously - could this be the excuse they will use when the internet goes down???

Stuxnet did not spread via the 'Net, it was a concentrated attack specifically targeting PLC's that controlled nuclear centrifuges. It is speculated that whoever created it had a lot of money and resources which has led some to believe that is was of US origin along with Israeli help. As pointed out, this version is strictly in recon mode collecting information. To be used how and when is anyone's guess.

brill

top topics

join