It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about American Jews and the Israeli Flag...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
OK. First off, let me use the usual disclaimer when talking about Israel. I am not an anti-semite, yadda yadda yadda. (Actually, I think Judaism is a beautiful religion and have very deep respect for the Jews as a people, in their ability to keep their traditions alive throughout the years.)

But I have a question about American Jews, or more specifically, American Jewish Organisations. Why, at all their public events (one example being the recent Jewish Republicans Association- i think that's the name- welcoming event here in New York) do they fly the Israeli flag along with the US flag? These are not official Israeli diplomatic events... so, isn't it odd that they're flying the Israeli flag?

What if, in this case, you were a Jew who didn't care for Israel but still supported the republican party? It seems odd to fly another nations flag at a *non-diplomatic* US event.

I guess the obvious answer is that Jews as a lobbying group are very heavily tied up with Israel. But does it make it right? I mean, they're the Jewish Republicans Association, not the Israeli-Republicans Association...

-koji K.

[edit on 30-8-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
EDIT: Nevermind.
I don't know the reason. Maybe the flag has come to represent the Jewish people, not just Israel.

Here's some history on the flag though.
It predates modern Israel:
flagspot.net...

Second Zionist Congress 1898

[edit on 30-8-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
As Ace said, the star of david in particular has been a symbol representing Judaism for far longer than it's been on the Israeli flag.

That is a great question though.

join