It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tibetans and dogs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My opinion of Tibetans changed a little when I saw this episode of - A year in Tibet - The Visit.

Basically its a documentary series following a year in the life of the society living in and around Gyantse, Tibet's third largest town. The Panchen Lama, the highest ranking Buddhist living in Tibet today, pays an unexpected visit to the local monastery and throws the monks into turmoil.

So naturally they decide to round up all the stray dogs. Granted the monks first plan was to use sleeping pills mixed in food to put the dogs in a more easier handling situation. But when that fails its basically catch a dog by any means possible.

One I'm sure is kocked out or basically dead. Strange indeed.

From 27.17 into the vid

edit on 18/10/11 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

OP, I could only watch about 30 seconds of the vid, starting at the 27 min cue. How awful!!! I believe a person's character can be accurately estimated by seeing how they treat dogs or individuals they consider "less than" themselves. How supposedly peaceful monks could treat dogs that way is beyond me!

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
While I understand your trepidation of the treatment of the dogs, It looks to me like they tried to be as gentle as possible, none were killed as it seems that the village abbot gave specific orders to not kill any of the dogs, I own a Tibetan Mastiff, and while those in the documentary are mostly mutts, the one that was getting the worst of it was a full Tibetan, these dogs are willful and can easily rip a man up, not that I agree with the beating mind you! I am not surprised the drugs didn't work as these dogs immune systems, physical strength and stomach resilience are friggin legendary... I could post what mine had eaten around the house during her first year with us... but that would make an entire thread itself!, and make a few people throw-up, bleach and 120 plugged in electrical cords are just the beginning!

Tibetans are prevented from "Owning" dogs by the Chinese, as they are guardians and would pose a problem should the owner get hassled by the authorities, again these dogs are willful and fiercely devoted to their families, mine almost ate a pit bull the other day, it wandered into our yard and threatened the children playing in back, Mouse to the rescue, that pit wanted non of it. So it isn't a surprise that they let these "strays" run around the town, but with the influx of strangers it would have been a problem to let them wander about. Each one has a name and a collective kennel where they are fed and cared for I noticed.

So while it may have looked brutal, it was just what the dog understands, and better than the UNs or US military forces approach to strays I might add.

Forgive them they are like any other devoted follower, blind in the light of their earthly mouthpiece of their religion.
Seems that happens a lot with collective faith.

Ohh and it wasnt the monks hitting the animals it was the villagers charged with the clean up...pay attention please.
edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Well I dunno about everyone else but I loved this piece. It gives us insight into Tibet and its people and that is rare.

As far as the dogs go.........in their defense they didn't even know if the dogs would die if given the pills, so what does that tell you? Ignorance

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

Thanks for the interesting input on the mastiffs.

But I never said it was the monks mistreating the dogs, as the title says Tibetans and dogs, not Tibetan monks and dogs.

Pay attention please.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

OP, I could only watch about 30 seconds of the vid, starting at the 27 min cue. How awful!!! I believe a person's character can be accurately estimated by seeing how they treat dogs or individuals they consider "less than" themselves. How supposedly peaceful monks could treat dogs that way is beyond me!

This is what I was referring too not you sir

Aren't misunderstandings fun

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
There are many Asian countries that eat dogs, so shouldn't be too surprising.

In the West, we tend to characterize animals into 3 groups...pets, food, or wild animals.

Granted, there are some cultures in the West that have some of what we'd consider in the wild animals group as food (like Possum, Squirrel, etc.), but you know what I mean.

In the East, there is but one category it seems...food.

new topics

top topics

join