It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of gun can I buy with....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I am looking for a good pistol under $150 to use for protection. Where can I get a good gun for cheap. I was thinking about going to a gun show. I only have $150 and I finger a cheap gun is better then no gun. I do not want it to be a pocket pistol I have large hands and I would like a nice size caliber.
edit on 18-10-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

Go to www.gunbroker.com first and take a look around with the search bar. Then go to a gun show with cash and negotiate a price...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Look around your area for reputable arms dealers and see
if you can put a gun in layaway and make payments.Some
of our weapons were a bit pricey and that is what my husband
and I did.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I don't know the laws in your State, but in mine you can buy firearms at pawnshops.
Always easy to find a good deal at a pawnshop.
Got one with a laser on it! YEAH

edit on 18-10-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
For $150 you should be able to get a Hi-point in one of the various calibers. They are not the best handguns on the market, but they are reliable according to people who like them. To me they are way to heavy for their size. You could start with one of those and save up for something better in the mean time.
At least that way you are not without protection while your working on getting something better. And who knows you might actually like the Hi-point.

Hi-Point Firearms
edit on 10/18/2011 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
most of the time people like you buy guns for defense, but they actually end up hurting themselves or other people. Dont forget your gun could potentially be used against you if you are easily overpowered in a scenario, would you consider it necessary and legal to use a firearm in any altercation?

really though you should do the research and make sure your buying a personal for the right reasons..
edit on 18-10-2011 by knightsofcydonia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia

really though you should do the research and make sure your buying a personal for the right reasons..

What do you think im doing?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
What kind of gun can I buy with....

Ask Eric Holder.

Peace

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I kind of cringe when I read stuff like this. First of all, your budget is way too low. You might be able to get a Saturday Night Special out of the deal, but then you'd be stuck with it. Secondly, and more importantly, just having a firearm does not protect you. It's all about your mindset and your training. Don't come back and tell me you have a great attitude. No, you don't. We're talking about potentially taking a life here. You have no room for error. You absolutely must be right. That means knowing the law in your location, and it means getting trained in defensive handgun. The best thing you could do right now is take a class or tow on home firearm safety and beginning pistol. Your local Sportsman's Club or range likely holds tghese classes for a nominal fee on a regular basis. Educate yourself first before you jump on the chepaest gun you can buy without really understanding what you are getting into.

Just to give you a couple of horror stories from my area. Just recently a 55 year old homeowner accosted a couple of would-be robbers on his home. He grabbed a gun to "deal" with the issue. The robbers took it away from him and pistol whipped him with it. He was lucky; they could have just shot him with his own gun. The second story was a guy who shot another person an a drug deal gone bad. The apartment manager ran for his .22 pistol and fired at the first guy who was escaping in his car at the time. Guess who is going to jail? The apartment manager who was not in danger at the time. He'll go down for recless endnagerment, brandishing, shooting a gun within city limits, etc. It's a felony and he will no longer be able to own any guns. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you're smart enough to use it properly.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I do not have a credit card or a debt card so i cannot buy one online, witch is why I was thinking about a gun show. I know it probably depends on the dealer but can you usually find a good deal at these shows?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

I don't know the laws in your State, but in mine you can buy firearms at pawnshops.
Always easy to find a good deal at a pawnshop.
Got one with a laser on it! YEAH

edit on 18-10-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

I agree with pawn shops, but gun stores sometimes have good deals as well. try to get something you can depend on. When your life is in danger, Thats not a good time for a handgun to jam. So layaway if you have to.
Taurus, Rossi, Ruger, these tend to be the better handguns for the price.
Shotgun? Single shot H&R 12ga can go around $95-$150.00
Good luck

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Gonna go ahead and skip the firearms training lecture here ..........

Seriously though, save up little more money, and get something you know will go "boom" when you pull the trigger.

You don't want a cheap POS as your personal defense weapon, and $500.00 will get you something of much higher quality.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Personal protection or a shtf situation? Personal protection: I think that a gun could be a very bad idea. They are often not where you need them to be and if they are the odds that it being useful are slim. Personally there is nothing better than being physically able to defend oneself-learn a martial art for instance. Also having some street smarts goes along way to avoiding problems. Being aware and cautious is a better defense than relying on a gun to solve a problem

As for a shtf situation nothing is better than a good bow and arrow or cross bow.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I bought a little derringer at a gun show.I wanted something
small to carry in my purse,it was a waste of money.The gun
was too hard to pull and too awkward to work with.I got what
I paid for it.
GO TO A GUN DEALER,TRUST ME...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
I kind of cringe when I read stuff like this. First of all, your budget is way too low. You might be able to get a Saturday Night Special out of the deal, but then you'd be stuck with it. Secondly, and more importantly, just having a firearm does not protect you. It's all about your mindset and your training. Don't come back and tell me you have a great attitude. No, you don't. We're talking about potentially taking a life here. You have no room for error. You absolutely must be right. That means knowing the law in your location, and it means getting trained in defensive handgun. The best thing you could do right now is take a class or tow on home firearm safety and beginning pistol. Your local Sportsman's Club or range likely holds tghese classes for a nominal fee on a regular basis. Educate yourself first before you jump on the chepaest gun you can buy without really understanding what you are getting into.

Just to give you a couple of horror stories from my area. Just recently a 55 year old homeowner accosted a couple of would-be robbers on his home. He grabbed a gun to "deal" with the issue. The robbers took it away from him and pistol whipped him with it. He was lucky; they could have just shot him with his own gun. The second story was a guy who shot another person an a drug deal gone bad. The apartment manager ran for his .22 pistol and fired at the first guy who was escaping in his car at the time. Guess who is going to jail? The apartment manager who was not in danger at the time. He'll go down for recless endnagerment, brandishing, shooting a gun within city limits, etc. It's a felony and he will no longer be able to own any guns. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you're smart enough to use it properly.

You guys draw allot of conclusions based off how much money I have to spend and one paragraph. I live in Texas I have been around guns my whole life and know how to use them. When I see a bug in my house I dont kill it like most people would because I know what life is worth. This is only the beginning of my research. I just turned 21 witch means I can own a pistol. I live in a bad neighborhood and want to protect my family. Their is nothing wrong with that.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Check out Hi-Point, as Spade has already mentioned.

I have a Hi-Point .45 (I'm not a fanatic, but wanted a pistol. I already had a pretty nice 12 gauge)

Made in the USA, lifetime warranty, if ever something goes wrong they will replace your pistol and will often send back free stuff (extended mags, etc.) when they return it to you. I haven't had to send mine back but I have talked to someone who did and received a bunch of shwag.

You can pick one up at almost any gun store or online.
edit on 18-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I know you said you are looking for a pistol, but I'm not sure you will be able to find one in your price range. You can probably pick up a 10/22 rifle at walmart for that price though. They don't pack much punch but if you know what you are doing they can get the job done. You can also use it if the SHTF too, to hunt small game, the ammo is really cheap too.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Autodidactic
I know you said you are looking for a pistol, but I'm not sure you will be able to find one in your price range. You can probably pick up a 10/22 rifle at walmart for that price though. They don't pack much punch but if you know what you are doing they can get the job done. You can also use it if the SHTF too, to hunt small game, the ammo is really cheap too.

+1 on the 1022, great little rifle. I Know you are inquiring about a pistol, but IMHO having a rifle with easily found ammo would be more of an asset in a SHTF scenario.
edit on 18-10-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It appears you have problems wielding basic English grammar and spelling. I would invest the money in an educational course before purchasing a firearm.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pregnant
It appears you have problems wielding basic English grammar and spelling. I would invest the money in an educational course before purchasing a firearm.

And for you an etiquette class...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join