It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thieves preying on fellow protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Wow, I just thought this was rather ironic....I am not sure of the credibility of this source, but I did find some other small articles about this.
www.nypost.com...
so does this mean that there are some that have "infiltrated the camp" so to speak to sabatoge the movement, or are the protestors showing thier true colors? I have to admit, I am trying to learn more about the movement because Im not quite sure where I stand on the whole issue. Part of me agrees that something needs to be done, but the other part of me says that there is a better way to do it. (however, there are at least people that are getting out there and doing something, whether it be right or wrong)

Occupy Wall Street protesters said yesterday that packs of brazen crooks within their ranks have been robbing their fellow demonstrators blind, making off with pricey cameras, phones and laptops -- and even a hefty bundle of donated cash and food.

“I had my Mac stolen -- that was like $5,500. Every night, something else is gone. Last night, our entire [kitchen] budget for the day was stolen, so the first thing I had to do was . . . get the message out to our supporters that we needed food!”

This is one thing that kind of bothers me about the whole thing- there are probably a lot of people out there protesting that have this kind of equipment. There are many people who can't afford to pay that much for a decent car let alone a mac. I would think that if it was that important to me, I either would not have it at the protests, or would have kept a better eye on it. Thats very ironic to me, that there are some that are protesting they are the 99% but are using all kinds of high tech gadgets that probably cost quite a bit of money. (forgive me, I am not that tech savy, and no, I don't live in a cave.)

Security volunteer Harry Wyman, 22, of Brooklyn was furious about the thievery -- and vowed to get tough with the predatory perps. “I’m not getting paid, but I’m not gonna stand for it. Why people got to come here and do stupid stuff? All it does is make people not wanna come here anymore,” Wyman fumed. At one point yesterday, Wyman and other volunteers briefly scuffled with a man who was standing near a park entrance with a pail calling out: “Donations! Donations!” -- and pocketing the cash people tossed in the bucket.

It also appears as if Jesse Jackson has came to support the protestors..that should send up huge red flags in my opinion.

Jesse dropped in like a ninja,” said Stephanie Perricone, 21. “He came out of nowhere and helped us all out.” The officers were asking about the size of the tent when the crowd of demonstrators -- including Jackson -- stood en masse in front of it.

I thought this was kind of ironic considering that Obama's teleprompter was stolen in NC yesterday...

www.wistv.com...
edit on 18-10-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Go figure.
Flout your privilege by sporting around with a $5000 Macbook in a crowd of people representing for hard times and what do you expect? It's like putting bacon in front of a dog.
I'm not blaming the victim, and I don't support the thefts, but, at the same time, some common sense should be practiced, otherwise, some people are just asking to get robbed.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
common sense clearly non applicable here .

and bringing expensive equipment to a camping site is a foolish idea

but then again most of the protestors arent really the brightest crayons in the box.

I bet its there own fellow OWS'ers stealing it because they can. Whats easier then picking a bunch of campers ?

lol who brings a 5,000 laptop

Of course they will blame this on rouge agents because their own fellow campers would never do such a thing!

you get what you deserve , and i hope this wakes up other protestors to bring nothing but your phone , hope , and penut butter sandwiches!
edit on 18-10-2011 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
wow that sucks. I would be pretty furious, especially when you have so much faith in the people you are supporting. I know if someone has an addiction, they wouldnt think twice to take what they can. knowing that, I dont bring anything but my dslr to protests, with one lens on the camera. I might miss a few shots using one lens but its better not to have one taken out of my pack while in the crowd.

I would suggest they buy a safe and put it in a truck, parked out in the open, nobody will touch it since there are cops everywhere anyways. Maybe have someone sleep in the truck watching all the tech stuff

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
What do people expect? Your in NY!

Why bring something worth $5000 to a public protest and not keep and eye on it or lock it up if you can't?

It's kinda common sense, but these days that seems to be lacking...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It's exactly what they advocate.

They aren't supposed to care if they worked hard to earn those cameras and laptops if someone else is in need...They'd have no private property or rights if they had their way.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm not exactly sure that it's stealing, sounds more like redistribution of wealth. I mean, why make a negative out of something that is helping someone else out?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

assuming they stole it for bread and not...crack

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
volunteer security gard? i think him and I would but heads a bit

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The idiocy and irony of this OWS thievery is quite telling...

First, why would anyone bring a $5500 iMac to a 'campsite?' What color is the sky in these protesters' world that they think leaving valuable equipment unguarded is a 'good idea?' Maybe this will be a life lesson they are NOT learning in college (the smae places whose high cost loans many are protesting the payback of...and I have to question were the goodies like $5500 iMacs bought on money borrowed FROM the evil bankster?). Couldn't the OWSers say make do with lowly Acer PC4 (for about $400)?

Secondly...the irony of the 'real life' lesson of 'wealth redistribution.' Its NOT FAIR that some people have Macs and some others have Acers from WalMart...or some people have money to donate to OWSers and...

Again. Idiocy and irony. On full view.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
It was probably one of them rich Wall street guys or someone at JP Morgan that stole it and laughed hysterically all the way to the nearest pawn shop.

What does it matter?

I thought this was all about going to a new world currency, putting all the money into a giant pot and letting the world walk by it and grab a handful of cash to distribute all of the worlds wealth. Then we can all go and sit under the apple tree and play the lute in our toga's all day long and thrive as equals under the lemon sun and rainbow skies of the new world Utopia.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The "thief" was just redistributing some wealth, if anything the "victim" should be elated that people are starting to take their stance seriously.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

Does anyone know the where abouts of George W. Bush the last few weeks? I mean...I mean aren't all America's problems (real or imaginesd) 'Bush's fault?'

I bet he took the OWS goodies AND the Yankees' mojo...

new topics

top topics

join