It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space exploration, should we ever colonize the moon or are we only focusing on mars?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:
IBM

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett

if we can harness efficent rail gun technology then we could gather up every piece of waste on the earth and shoot it out of our galaxy. lol wasnt that an episode of futurama? either way i think it is a practical solution to the growing problem of waste in our world.

is this a joke?

the practical problem to waste on our planet is deffintley not to shoot it out into space-thats almost like saying we have no problem because we CAN shoot it out into space! God forbid our goverments find in the future that they cand do this ! Weve already made a complete hash of dumping our own crap all over this planet but heh FU$k it lets send some really nasty garbage drifting around to some other star systems just to prove how much consideration we have for future universal relations!!
We sent out a monolith with "hello" recorded in many different launguages and by mistake the first initial encounter other life forms have of our exsistence is a container full of radioactive crap with "yeah,you guessed it-us dumb humans on earth sent this" written all over it!

Make less garbage and be kinder to ourselves and our planet,before we screw up somebody elses playground!!!

Ok,ill get off my soap box now.

Actually sending off garbage into space although impractcal today is not a bad idea, it keeps the earth clean. And space is so large who cares what goes in there, it will not affect anything in the least bit. You have no idea the size of the universe if you are worried about the impact humans will have on it.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
yea look at how polluted and crowded things are on earth, we are running out of space. look at the junk we have lying around not to mention hazardous materials. recycling is great, but there are certain things we dont have the ability to recycle.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Why shoot things around anyway, just to have them feep on floating. Why not just shoot it at our sun, the garbage will burn all up long before it hits the suns surface.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Why shoot things around anyway, just to have them feep on floating. Why not just shoot it at our sun, the garbage will burn all up long before it hits the suns surface.

if theres one place on earth that burning garbage wont matter, its not on earth. the suns real nice, real big, and theres not much life to harm along the way. maybe if its potent enough wed see something cool, i know some pretty rank garbage.

still, wed need some hella big payloads, we got a lot of trash.

[edit on 9/24/2004 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
But shooting things off into space can e really dangerous. If a rocket with waste explodes in the atmosphere it can destroy all thats living. We should find a way to neutralize the waste to make it good for earths evironment.

[edit on 29-9-2004 by SpaceAlienatic88]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceAlienatic88
Bur shooting things off into space can e really dangerous. If a rocket with waste explodes in the atmosphere it can destroy all thats living. We should find a way to neutralize the waste to make it good for earths evironment.

i dont think it wud kill EVERY living thing, thats a little/lot excessive. simply put, it doesnt need to be anything special. compact it so we can get more at once. get it up to space, we're pretty good at that. consolidate it if it hasnt been, load onto one ship. point at sun. press the red button. realize you left your keys in the cargo bay.

as with anything, theres some risk, some danger, but no more than letting tons upon tons of trash collect.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
But if nuclear waste is so harmful and radioactive, can't we just use that energy for a greater purpose. Or just find methods to neutralize the wastes. Im sure we can do it.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

But if nuclear waste is so harmful and radioactive, can't we just use that energy for a greater purpose. Or just find methods to neutralize the wastes. Im sure we can do it.

we're trying. apparently, its hard, or something...

not every form of energy is practical. like tons of things emitting invisible particles deadly to most every single form of life we know of. its also very hard to 'neutralize' simply because of the very nature of it.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Amorymeltzer

I was referring to us using the rail gun idea, since that idea wont work with fragile humans.

Also SpaceAlienatic88 are you referring to a rocket with nuclear waste on board that blows up? If so you should know we have launched nuclear products into space before and we will do it again, so far the launches have all being succesful. But if a rocket carring nuclear waste to our sun blew up there would be no problem, the waste is stored in an explosion proof tank and it can sit in jet fuel for hours with no breech.

Trust me, with all of the Environmentalist out there, this is a must.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Amorymeltzer

I was referring to us using the rail gun idea, since that idea wont work with fragile humans.

Also SpaceAlienatic88 are you referring to a rocket with nuclear waste on board that blows up? If so you should know we have launched nuclear products into space before and we will do it again, so far the launches have all being succesful. But if a rocket carring nuclear waste to our sun blew up there would be no problem, the waste is stored in an explosion proof tank and it can sit in jet fuel for hours with no breech.

Trust me, with all of the Environmentalist out there, this is a must.

Im sorry I did not know that information. Now that I know about explosion proof tanks my view has changed.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
What is the material used to make those canisters. They gotta be very hard material. My gues us titanium mixed with diamond particles.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
we most likely will colonize on mars as well as the moon.
mars allready has a very thin atmospher. if we do to mars wat we r doin
to earth right now (global warming) we could heat mars up with co2 or
somthing stronger( i am sure we have gasses stronger than co2) this
would thicken the atmospher i think. but would definetly heat the planet
up.

i not really sure that this would work but i hope it does cause we
could be on mars breathing marses pure air.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
[edit on 4-10-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   

What is the material used to make those canisters. They gotta be very hard material. My gues us titanium mixed with diamond particles.

Sorry, I looked around but couldn't find any good sites on whats it made out off, but I believe its steel, some part are so called Crumple Zones which take the brunt of the boom.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Ok forget the explosion part about the subject. Wait nevermind let say a rocket with the waste did blow up but the canisters are still intact. What if the hit the ocean and float away. Next thing you know it floats out to sea far far away and a terrorist group on a small boat get to it and then use them for WMDs

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join