It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Choices For The Greatest Movies Ever Made?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
As far as i'm concerned, the movie "War And Peace"-1967- Russia, is the single greatest achievement in the history of motion pictures...It is 8hrs and 27 min long and cost a staggering 100 million dollars and when adjusted for inflation, would cost around 700 million dollars to make now...That is equal to the budget of the movie "Titanic" x 3 -1/2 !

Sergei Bondarchuk, over a 5 year period!, directed this monumental cinematic masterpiece, has the leading role and adapted Tolstoys novel...Try and see it in "wide screen"...It is amazing and was accomplished "without computer aide"

This link contains a lot of color stills from this movie > www.dvdbeaver.com...
edit on 20-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
War And Peace -1967- Russian...

There are many hand held shots in the film, which are difficult to achieve with a 70 mm camera. However, a special lightweight camera was devised for this film (which can be seen on the bonus DVD of the Ruscico release). The camera resembles a Bolex camera and its magazine takes up most of the camera body...

In relating Tolstoy's complex tale of Napoleon's invasion of Russia, Bondarchuk made some of the most graphic battle scenes ever seen, one of which runs nearly 45 minutes. According to the Guinness Book of Records, its cast of 120,000 people is a record.Many museums in the USSR contributed artifacts for the production design, making it one of the most elaborate films ever created. Some estimates put its production costs at around US $100 million, which would be equivalent to $700 million today taking inflation into account, making War and Peace the most expensive film production...

1969 – Academy Award – Best Foreign Language Film
1969 – Golden Globe – Best Foreign-Language Foreign Film
1969 – National Board of Review Award – Best Foreign Language Film
1968 – New York Film Critics Circle Awards – Best Foreign Language Film

Critical reception...The film holds 100% rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

Film critic Roger Ebert states...“Considering its cost and the vast effort that went into its making, such a film can be made only once in our time. The wonder, indeed, is that it was made at all.

Wikipedia Quotes.

edit on 20-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Star Wars- Revolutionary
The Matrix - Combination of story line and special effects
Tommy Boy - I miss Chris Farley so much
Rounders - Eh I'm a card playing degenerate
So I Married An Axe Murderer - Colonel Sanders exposed

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Ugh! Duplicate thread and apparently I posted on the wrong one..

So I'll just paste my reply to your other post here. =]

In no particular order:

- The Big Lebowski

- The Royal Tenenbaums

- Donnie Brasco

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off

- The Fall

- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Maybe my #1)

- Taxi Driver

- Reservoir Dogs

- Big Trouble in Little China

- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Bam!

ETA: You listed Dances With Wolves, which I think is a damn great flick and should have probably been on my list too.
edit on 18-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

Can't say I disagree with any on your list and have similar tastes in film. To your list, I would probably add

- The Shawshank Redemption

- Fargo

- Best in Show

All in all, the dude must abide - even on Shoma Shabbos. I've actually used this movie to gauge my compatibility with dates - if he thought if was funny, he gained a second look but if not, he was outta there!!
edit on 10/21/2011 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think that "Apocalypto" - 2006... Directed by Mel Gibson,is easily the greatest "chase/adventure" film ever made...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Yes, I have seen both of those movies.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Truth_Seeker
reply to post by blocula

Yes, I have seen both of those movies.
"North By Northwest"-1959 is in my top 10 best films ever.I think it's alfred hitchcocks greatest achievement,although he thought his best film was "Rear Window"-1958.

For him to have made Vertigo"-1958 and "North By Northwest"-1959 back to back and then followed them with "Psycho"-1960 is really impressive.
edit on 21-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I have only 2 that I think are "great". Both have been mentioned. The Godfather and The Shawshank Redemption.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I have only 2 that I think are "great". Both have been mentioned. The Godfather and The Shawshank Redemption.
I have seen the Shawshank Redemption and i thought it was okay,but i did'nt see anything great about it.The Godfather-1972 and the Godfather Part-2-1974 are great,but The French Connection-1971 to me is the greatest crime drama ever made and perhaps Dirty Harry-1971 would be second...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The Lady From Shanghai: Orsen Wells and Rita Hayworth by far one of the best endings in a movie. Plus it gave the quote, "I'm very disappointed in you my dear." Not to give away the ending but I would be very disappointed in her as well after that. (1948)
edit on 10/21/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The Passion of the Christ.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
The Passion of the Christ.
Yes, another Mel Gibson classic,along with his Apocalypto-2006,which is in my top 10.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Last night i watched Alfred Hitchcocks 1959 masterpiece North By Northwest again and that was around the 6th or 7th time i've seen it.Every single aspect of the movie is perfection of the cinematic art.The story, acting, scenery, lighting, dialogue, color, editing, music and composition are all perfectly realized and exquisitely expressed in wide screen and this movie is more than well deserving to be included within my top ten movie list that i posted on page one...
edit on 14-2-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Ocasionally my almost impenetrable top-10 movie list will shift and alter.Heres my revised and updated top-10 greatest movie list thats now a top-16 list...

1 - War And Peace -1967 - Russian...Directed by...Sergei Bondarchuk...Easily The Best Ever Made...

2 - Lawrence Of Arabia -1962 - British...Directed by...David Lean....Visually Stunning...

3 - 2001 A Space Odyssey - 1968 - British...Directed by...Stanley Kubrick...Greatest Sci-Fi...

4 - Apocalypse Now - 1979 - American...Directed by...Francis Ford Coppola...Greatest Vietnam War...

5 - French Connection - 1971 - American...Directed by...William Friedkin...Greatest Crime Drama...

6 - North By Northwest - 1959 - American...Directed by...Alfred Hitchcock...Greatest Suspense...

7 - Singin In The Rain - 1952 - American...Directed by...Stanley Donen...Greatest Musical...

8 - Vertigo - 1958 - American...Directed by...Alfred Hitchcock...Greatest Mystery...

9 - House Of Flying Daggers - 2004 - Chinese...Directed by...Yimou Zhang...Greatest Combat...

10 - Dances With Wolves - 1990 - American...Directed by...Kevin Costner...Greatest Western...

11 - Apocalypto - 2006 - American...Directed by...Mel Gibson...Greatest Action/Chase...

12 - Saving Private Ryan - 1998 - American...Directed by...Steven Spielberg...Greatest WW-2...

13 - Exorcist - 1973 - American...Directed by...William Friedkin...Greatest Horror...

14 - Wizard Of Oz -1939 - American...Directed by...Victor Fleming...Greatest Fantasy...

15 - Doctor Zhivago - 1965 - British...Directed by...David Lean...Greatest Love Story...

16 - Gone With The Wind - 1939 - American...Directed by...Victor Fleming...Greatest Love Story...

Notice Willian Friedkin,Alfred Hitchcock,David Lean and Victor Fleming all have 2 movies included in the top 16...
edit on 14-2-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
War And Peace -1967 - Russian...Directed by...Sergei Bondarchuk...

This eight hour and twenty seven minute movie has to be seen,in its original 70mm widescreen format,to be believed...

Sergei bondarchuk adapted the tolstoy book,has the lead role and directed this awesome recreation of napoleons invasion of russia.

He was allowed to use of a vast array of objects from russian museums for historic detail and this movie also employs 120,000 russian soldiers during the numerous battle scenes...

Seeing is believing,no hollywood epic compares to this films vast panoramic battle scenes,one of which "the battle of borodino" is almost an hour long.Parts of which were filmed from inside airplanes and helicopters to show "birds eye views" of these brutal scenes...

There are also multitudes of beautifully filmed intimate moments that are projected throughout,which contain colors and sounds of unequalled majesty....

Along with the"burning of moscow",slow motion/real time cavalry charges,time lapse images,montages and lots of "real snow"...

The characters that survive through the entire movie "actually" age five years.The actress who portrays natasha for example,when the movie begins,is around fifteen years old and when the movie is over she is twenty years old...

This russian version of "War And Peace" is never in any of the great film books that i've read and its never even mentioned in anyones best films lists...Why?...

My guess is its because of left over cold war paranoia and extreme jealousy from hollywood...

This movie is all the more incredible for being accomplished without computer aide...

It won the "academy award" for "best foreign film" but wether or not a movie wins an academy award is no way to judge a films greatness...

How sergei bondarchuk was able to keep this production together for so many years and not have it come crashing down around him is an incredible accomplishment in itself...

This russian film cost a staggering 100 million dollars in mid 1960's dollars,which figures out to around 700 million now,which is about three times the budget of the movie titanic...

Please dont confuse this russian masterpiece with the inferior hollywood version from 1956,theres no comparison...

Roger ebert said that this movie "will never be equalled"...

And i'll say that this movie is "the single greatest achievement in the history of motion pictures"

Seriously...Dont Miss It...

edit on 15-2-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Oops, I think you mean the Edwardian era, Queen Victoria died a few years before the Titanic was even finished.

I stand corrected. I always kind of mentally combine the two....

<< 1  2   >>

join