It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BlackBerry cuts made roads safer, police say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
First off, this article is speaking of Dubai and the United Arab Emirates, but it's an interesting glimpse into the possibility that cellphone use while driving adds a considerable amount of danger to those on the road..

www.thenational.ae

A dramatic fall in traffic accidents this week has been directly linked to the three-day disruption in BlackBerry services.

In Dubai, traffic accidents fell 20 per cent from average rates on the days BlackBerry users were unable to use its messaging service. In Abu Dhabi, the number of accidents this week fell 40 per cent and there were no fatal accidents.

While we can't directly say that the entire percentage drop can be tied to the outage, these numbers should start some dialogue on trying to implement stricter standards for those driving in the two countries.

I know that in the US, there are increasing efforts to encourage "hands free" use of cellphones, but how does that affect those who text? I don't text myself, so I don't know how many folks use that feature while traveling from point A to point B.

Is it a problem where you live?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
oh wow i am not surprised by those numbers at all !

Some of these users and there crackberrys i tell ya !

what we need to do is perfect voice to text capabilities and have the screen projected on our front windshields. That way we can keep an eye on the road and our oh so important text that must be answered lol.

hey i rather the text on the windshield ! then have the driver turn his head and eyes down from the road!

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

See how technology enhances our lives?
Or does not,as the case may be.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

No it is not a problem because it is illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving in the UK and Ireland, Even hands free is being banned, or has been already.

You can loose your driving licence if caught.

top topics

join