posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

sounds like you're saying I nailed it.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by tpg65

I use empathy every day, this thread is full of people with inferiority complex’s trying to prove they are somehow “special” when in reality being empathetic and using empathy is something that lots of people do every day almost without thinking. This is not paranormal it’s not a gift it’s just something that we humans do from time to time, some more than others.

Nobody is claiming to be "special" .
For somebody who claims to use empathy everyday , you are showing a distinct lack of it in this thread.

Open your mind and your heart will follow
edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Empathy is normal, it’s part of being human it’s just that most people confuse their own empathy often with sympathy. If you really want to go and truly see empathy in use to get some work experience shadowing a nurse for a shift, ask him/her to tell you every time empathy is employed, I can grantee that you will lose count after a hour. There is nothing in any way about using empathy that makes a empathetic person more “special” than the person they are being empathetic towards. Just because I can empathise with Mr Smith’s embarrassment or sadness at his testicular cancer so I can develop a therapeutic relationship and have a positive impact on his psychological and physical wellbeing does not mean I have some gift transcended form a paranormal ability. Just about anyone is capable of placing themselves emotionally in the same place as another.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

reply to post by Screwed

“special”.... paranormal ability.

Here is an interesting little FACT.
The only one using the words "special" and "paranormal" is.........YOU!
You are clearly trying to FORCE this thread to be about something it was never intended to be in order to suit
your needs to be directly confrontational and close minded.

If you would like to....."learn" then all you have to do is ask.
If you already have all of the answers figured out, then why are you still here?
hmmmmm.

btw, I would agree with you on most of the points that you have made.
If you would like further clarification please let me know.
edit on 19-10-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Let’s take out the paranormal then, the OP’s empathy is not the result of taking catapres nor is it in anyway a gift is it something that most humans are capable of thanks to our very humanity.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

reply to post by Screwed

Let’s take out the paranormal then, the OP’s empathy is not the result of taking catapres nor is it in anyway a gift is it something that most humans are capable of thanks to our very humanity.

You are clearly misunderstanding the OP.
If you would like further clarification please ask.
If you already have it figured out then why keep posting?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

reply to post by Screwed

Why are you so bitter and closed minded ?
You appear to be well educated , yet you are full of ignorance .

I agree that Empathy is a common human trait .
Why can't you agree that certain individuals can have a very highly developed sense of it ?

Your feeling of inadequacy is leaping from every post you make on this subject and I wager others can sense it too .

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I am truly amazed by the number of people who seem to be buying into the idea that the OP’s empathy is somehow transcended from a paranormal ability or by taking catapres when she was younger. I do not doubt that she may be a very empathetic person but this is just a personal characteristic probably due to a high level of emotional intelligence and her life experiences rather than anything special. This is not a gift, there is nothing special about being empathetic almost all humans who are not cognitively impaired are capable of empathy. I would like to reiterate that being empathetic has nothing to do with taking catapres.

And being “an epithetic” makes no sense there is no such thing as “an epithetic” you could describe yourself as being an “epithetic person” but not “an epithetic”. I am an epithetic person, I work, learn and play with epithetic people none of us are “special” it’s just something that we do because we have to. Stop pretending that the OP and others are “special” because they have a capacity for empathy.

If you are referring to the original OP of this thread, I think "she" very clearly stated that "she" was a young boy.
Which really makes him all the more special for it – and makes me wonder at the same time how much concentration you actually invested in reading his op.

As many have stated before in this thread, there is a major difference between feeling empathy and applying compassion in one's dealings with others - and in constantly being flooded with the emotions of others as if it permeates and fills one's entire chest. The people who experience the latter phenomenon are known as "empaths".

I am speaking from experience. It is not make-believe. It is not a figment of my imagination. I would love to be able to have a normal social life and be able to interact with people on a normal level. But it is physically impossible - YES - I have to recharge after social interaction. It is very draining - it is most tiring.

Please do not take an absolute and inflexible stance on a very real phenomenon which you have not had personal experience of.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

I agree with practice some people can make better use of empathy than others depending on their experiences but just about everybody can be empathetic it’s not a gift and it has nothing to do with the catapres medication. The point is what does “highly developed empathy mean”?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by shimmeringsilver73

If anybody else try’s to tell me on this thread that I am not empathetic or able to employ compassion am going to start go get annoyed. I use empathy and compassion everyday to have a positive effect on another’s wellbeing.

Are you trying to tell me that if you walk into a bar to meet 5 or 6 of your friends you are hit by a wall of their emotions which invades your very person and you feel everything they are feeling at that time. Are you saying this is a paranormal energy transfer between you and the people who’s emotions you are feeling.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

If anybody else try’s to tell me on this thread that I am not empathetic or able to employ compassion am going to start go get annoyed. I use empathy and compassion everyday to have a positive effect on another’s wellbeing.

Are you trying to tell me that if you walk into a bar to meet 5 or 6 of your friends you are hit by a wall of their emotions which invades your very person and you feel everything they are feeling at that time. Are you saying this is a paranormal energy transfer between you and the people who’s emotions you are feeling.

I have replied to enough of your rants, in this thread , to know that you have an hidden agenda.
Why are you so doggedly keen to promote yourself as empathic , when you are clearly so closed minded and ignorant ?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

Not me individually but just about anyone is empathetic that’s what I am trying to say. Being empathetic is part of being human therefore it is not a gift of any kind.

I have no hidden agenda I am just really shocked with the number of people who are trying to propose the idea that being empathetic somehow makes them special, gifted or have a paranormal ability when in reality they are just human.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Sorry - you seem to have misunderstood me. I am not saying that you are not a compassionate person who cannot feel empathy. Most people have the ability to feel empathy - without it our world would have died yonks ago.

All that I was trying to convey is that there is a difference between the normal feelings of empathy (like what you experience), and being an empath (as what the original OP experiences - and the same personality that Deanna Troi of Star Trek was supposed to embody).

Yes - being an empath is exactly like walking into a bar and being hit with a wall of emotion. A person can immediately feel very confused, anxious (one of the emotions that hits me the hardest) or angry for no reason. I myself do not seesaw between many emotions - I consider myself to be a very balanced, loving and kind individual who is capable of extreme neutrality in my relationships. But - it can often take a chance encounter with someone else for my neutral disposition and personality to be completely derailed... if someone is upset, anxious or very sad I can literally feel their emotion within my own heart, and it can stay with me for hours or days.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

reply to post by tpg65

Not me individually but just about anyone is empathetic that’s what I am trying to say. Being empathetic is part of being human therefore it is not a gift of any kind.

I have no hidden agenda I am just really shocked with the number of people who are trying to propose the idea that being empathetic somehow makes them special, gifted or have a paranormal ability when in reality they are just human.

Having a feeling of empathy is truly human and we all feel it .
To have an overwhelming feeling of it , constitutes to being an EMPATH.

We all have varying degrees of abilities . If I drew a matchstick man , I wouldn't call myself an artist .

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I respect that the two members above may think that they are “empaths” who have a super-human level of empathy that allows them to call themselves “empaths” because of the effect that others emotions have on them. I must say however I think they are either confusing normal empathy with something else to satisfy their own desire to feel special.

There is really nothing else for me to say. Other than that I do not believe what many of you call “empaths” exist rather that they are just empathetic individuals who are confusing these emotions.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I respect that the two members above may think that they are “empaths” who have a super-human level of empathy that allows them to call themselves “empaths” because of the effect that others emotions have on them. I must say however I think they are either confusing normal empathy with something else to satisfy their own desire to feel special.

There is really nothing else for me to say. Other than that I do not believe what many of you call “empaths” exist rather that they are just empathetic individuals who are confusing these emotions.

This is my last word to you .

You are obviously one of those closed minded individuals who thinks that everything has a pidgeon hole .
I wager you are one of those ignorant people that thinks , feeling depressed and suffering from clinical depression , are one and the same .
As I said earlier , you appear to be an educated man . Don't let ignorance be your advisor .

Good luck to you .

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

Sorry you have lost your wager, I have worked with people who are clinically depressed and I have also worked with people who are feeling depressed. It is a lack of ignorance that has led to me reach the conclusions I have reached rather than the presence of ignorance. I have read Carl Rodgers and Edith Stine who both wrote in great depth about empathy at university level, I use empathy, compassion, congruence and so on daily. I am not ignorant when it comes to empathy, don’t make a attempt the describe me as such just because I refuse to believe in the existence of your apparently super-human empathy and status as a “empathy”.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

You are most welcome to believe anything that you want to believe. You are the other side of the coin after all.

But until you have walked a day in my shoes, you cannot claim that my experience is what you claim my experience to be. And my experience is my experience - it is untainted and remains incontrovertibly my own reality.

In the same fashion I will not judge you on your personal experiences, beliefs and reality until I have had an opportunity to experience the world from your perspective.

Keep well friend. Live long and prosper.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I know what your saying. My childhood was very similar, my Dad and all, the break-up, the profound numbing of the brain in school, the only thing that interested me was Art, Quantum Mechanics and Science. To this day I am sensative to others emotions, and If around anyone, can seemingly see through them and their agendas relativly quick. Funny how I'v never recognised this... Difference between you and I off hand, was that I never used a drug/medication as you did. People seem transparent to me and their scheemes quickly surface, or are apparent to me. Curious....... hmmmm...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I don't get it why nonbelivers always post so much on a thread like this. The fact is that some are an energy drain that pulls harmonious energy from me. But that might be the idee. To keep the people that are pushing the boundry of the human soul experiance from going to far and becoming to advanced. Well intolerant people like this won't keep us down anymore. If they are racing with us in spirit evolution then they are lagging behind in the race. But they don't need to worry. From my point it is not a race. There is no award from understanding the outside of the box before the rest. But it is nice to free you mind from the unhealthy crap we have learnt on this planet and be able to see the real beuty that is beneth and sometimes feel harmounious with everything. One day the people that are not beliving will be on the other side trying to explain that they are not crazy
to unbelivers. We all will have our moment but it might not be this lifetime. From my point of view all souls have the same value. But some of them have not come away from their predetory stage yeet. We all have our own road to walk and im so happy being me on my road.

I might have been an empath at birth but fortunatly I am not and empath now, that I know. I have the feeling of wrongness sometimes about the world and I do need a lot of time without people around me. Thank you soulbrothers and soulsisters for this thread of discussion on a gift/curse I don't have. May your days be as happy as they can be and may you always have what you need. Namaste.

exclusive video

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join