It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Empathy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
(((((HUGS))))) for you Op.

Your story was well written, I could feel your pain and suffering as well as your parents. It must have been so difficult feeling different feelings all the time and not knowing where to place them. Children already have weird feelings while growing up (or at least I did), so I can only imagine what you went through.

I actually found myself relating, but on a much smaller scale.

For me, I feel intense empathy for people and my mother tells me often I do not live in "reality". Maybe she says that because I am not one to conform to society....don't know, but she has been saying that ever since I was a little girl. My friends may not have come from the best neighborhood but I have always been drawn to people who are less fortunate with big hearts. After 38 years I have learned that my feelings will jump from high and low in a minute, especially when I am in a public place, although my feelings are not on a physical level where I will get and or feel sick. I can, however look at someone or talk with someone and sense their emotional state intuitively.

I spoke with an "intuitive" not too long ago. After the 1000 year flood here in TN. I lost one of my dear friends in the flood. He was beautiful inside and out. After 8 dreadful months of searching for Danny the family brought an intuitive on the scene. She, after being taken down the river, pointed to where his remains were. I later asked her how she saw him and she said, "everyone can do what I do, you just have to learn to go with your intuition".

From day one of searching I thought he was close to where the car went in...this was common sense to me and there was nothing intuitively telling me, I just knew he couldn't have went far with all the debris rushing against his weightless body. After she pointed to his remains within the water, under debris, I did think....I knew he was close, why couldn't I "see" exactly where he was.

As an empathetic, you are intuitively empathetic to others feelings, emotions, and can become physically sick. This is something I think we all have when we are in our truest energetic state. You so happen to feel it on an extreme level whereas I, myself, feel it on a much smaller scale. Sometimes I feel like a magnet to others who have issues and or problems in their life. They seem to flock to me and I often hear, "its like you know exactly how I feel and I just met you." I am in no way saying I am special, just telling you a little about me and where I stand on this subject on a personal level.

If I had my way....no way would I want your gift (sorry) as I would not want to feel physically sick or feel others pain as if it were my own. I would however love to learn how to find missing persons.

Thank you for your story this morning. It was inspiring to think others may read this, especially those with children who are perhaps going through the same thing. I have never thought of children being mis-diagnosed because of this gift and because of your story I will make sure to keep an eye on the children around me.

xoxoxox Love to you and yours!!!

Jenn

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

I can truly relate to you. I often and overwhelmed with emotions, and I have no idea where it comes from. There are times when I have to shut a movie or a show off because it is to "real" for me. The hardest part is being able to seperate what is your real emotion as oppossed to picking up someone elses feelings. It can indeed be mentally exhausting. This is a great post, thanks for sharing.

PLPL

I also have a hard time in a large groups of people or stores, I try not to make to much eye contact.

edit on 19-10-2011 by Minori because: after thought

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I have the same senses ---- Able to "feel what others feel", "be inside their heads and think, what they think",

I am often accused of Not giving someone a chance to speak or at least finish what they are saying. I am not rude or do I cut them off. I simply "hear it, before they say it".

I know all about someone when they walk into a room: from their job, relationships, state of mind. Heck I know their sex life.

-------------Yes, sadly Most know little - little about them self even and of course, nothing about others. ---- We call these people LEADERS -- those who feel nothing and know less than that BUT they appear "So Strong. So Knowing. So Wise, So Quick To Come Up With Answers". --------- And that they do- answers fast and so secure sounding in their deliery BUT THEY ARE SO WRONG. Short-sighted and Nowhere near what really is going on or is a solution. "The Masses" love this people because they "take control" and SOUND LIKE GOD (all knowing and all understanding) so man votes for them, backs them, gives up all their own thoughts and acts just for them. I call it "The FATHER SYNDROME" --- They want someone else to make all the decisions and do everything for them, just like children.

"Thinking, caring, empathetic people are distained and thought of as "nuts" Yet we are the ones who think, feel and understand what no others can or will or have the ability to "figure out".

Most people are wrong about most things, most of the time" and it is for good reason --- They don't think or feel or understand and they take the easy route to give all control and thought processes to "our incompetent LEADERS, no matter what rank or status, be it public or private, large or small organizations.

You have a gift and I beleive it simply is "The Gift of THOUGHT".

PS: I also "feel" what animals are thinking and going to do and can "handle them" (work with them) when no one else can & it need not be a specific animal or even species that I have ever seen before. I call it simply letting onself be open to all the energies of the world and universe as energies are much more and more not known than we have learned thus far. ----- Just feel it!

To understand one must feel it to understand it and CARE ---- and Care is no more than realizing that EVERYTHING CONNECTS TO EVERYTHING and Nothing Will Ever "work" if everything is not part of the "fix", the solution. --- That is why man keeps falling deeper into dark holes, our leaders see nothing but one step in front of them at most ----- Must feel, think and realize Not Just "Me, Now" But "Us ALL, All The Time, both Now and In The Future" ----- I find solutions so simple "cause I think and feel all".

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

PS: I also "feel" what animals are thinking and going to do and can "handle them" (work with them) when no one else can & it need not be a specific animal or even species that I have ever seen before. I call it simply letting onself be open to all the energies of the world and universe as energies are much more and more not known than we have learned thus far. ----- Just feel it! To understand one must feel it to understand it and CARE ---- and Care is no more than realizing that EVERYTHING CONNECTS TO EVERYTHING and Nothing Will Ever "work" if everything is not part of the "fix", the solution. --- That is why man keeps falling deeper into dark holes, our leaders see nothing but one step in front of them at most ----- Must feel, think and realize Not Just "Me, Now" But "Us ALL, All The Time, both Now and In The Future" ----- I find solutions so simple "cause I think and feel all".
reply to post by WarmHeartedWorld

This made me think of my love for animals. I have always been a dog owner, only had one cat and while being neutered he died.
After I left him there I had the sickest feeling about it. Called every hour and the last time I called was told he was gone. I have not owned a cat since.

My love for dogs is one that is very intense. Everyone may feel this way...don't know because I have never asked.

I can sense what a dog is thinking and can train a dog to do anything he is capable of doing. My dogs before reaching the one year mark can roll over, shake, bark, fetch, sit, lay down, and so on...... I relate to them and feel for them as I do my children. Its crazy to think about sometimes. I wonder now after reading your post if others have the same connection.

Also, I totally agree and can relate to your words when you say everything is connected and finding simple solutions. Too bad our leaders do not have a balance whereas they can see what the outcome will be when or if they make bad decisions.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
When I was a young boy, people could probably best describe me as “sensitive”. I was an emotional creature, and had extreme ups and downs – which nearly pushed me to a total depression at an early age.

I couldn’t concentrate in school, and I struggled to make high enough grades to just pass my classes. It is a sad state of affairs when you make straight “D’s” and are proud of them.

The only refuge I had from my constant emotional swings was at home – in the safe domicile of my parents’ house.

By the time I reached third grade, I was still hardly passing my classes. I truly thought I was stupid. My mom and dad had taken me to numerous clinics to test me for A.D.D., A.D.H.D., only to find out that my I.Q. was higher than average – leading the doctors to say I was either lazy, or just overly board in class.

From that point the frustration of my parents increased, and was now aimed closer to me – as they believed I was just lazy. I can recall countless nights where my mother would get so frustrated she would cry, and my dad would lecture me until my mind had gone numb.

I tried to tell them I was not lazy – I just couldn’t understand.

Finally, when I was in fourth grade, they tried one final time to take me to a doctor at Children’s Hospital.

After hours of testing the doctor finally diagnosed me with Tourette Syndrome – which is a mental problem that causes head jerking, motor movement, or random audible outbursts; commonly referred to as “ticks”.

I was put on a pill called Catapres, which was a blood pressure pill. I was put on extremely tiny doses, which my mother had to cut in half from a whole pill and feed to me.

The tiny pink pill was a miracle drug – I went from making straight D’s to straight A’s in one week. I was finally able to concentrate – but the only side effects were drowsiness and lack of emotional response; I was emotionally static when I was on the drug.

However, I began to notice something unusual – I would still have random emotional outbursts. I would either be extremely happy one moment, or angry the next.

I realized through these outbursts that emotional states are what controls Tourette Syndrome – and the frequency of the “ticks” I would have.

But I also realized something else – these emotional outbursts I was having felt different. I felt more detached from them; as if I was feeling them not through myself, but from some other place or source.

Soon my refuge of home was shattered, as I began to feel anger when I was there – starting soon after my father always got home from work.

For a long time I thought my dad hated me – I associated this in my childhood mind because I would always get angry when he got home. I could literally feel it before I even knew he was in the house. I would begin to feel angry, go to the front door, and see him pulling into the driveway.

This feeling continued for some months – until finally my dad pulled me aside and spoke to me.

“Your mother and I are separating for a while,” he told me. He gave me the usual talk that separating parents will tell their children. “It’s not you. You aren’t at fault for this – it’s just that I and your mother aren’t getting along very well.”

He left and went to stay at a hotel room for a few days. Soon after that my mom went to get him – she realized that she had made a mistake, and that she was causing the problems in the marriage. They reconciled.

After that I never felt anger in my house again.

Over the years similar things happened with different people, and I soon realized that the emotional outbursts I was having were not from me – but were actually the emotions of others. And they overwhelmed me.

The pill I was on dulled my emotions to a point where I could distinguish between my emotions, and the emotions of other – you could say I became conscious of their emotional field.

Years later, through research, I discovered there was a name for what I was: an Empathic.

I could feel others emotions.

Even after I came off the pill, and could control Tourette Syndrome, I could still feel the emotions of others. All of those years allowed me to train my mind, to become conscious of the difference between my feelings and others.

It is my theory that everyone can do this – only others aren’t conscious enough of their own self to understand the problems they are having emotionally probably aren’t theirs.

It is my theory that people with neurological disorders – such as A.D.D., or A.D.H.D, Tourette Syndrome, etc. May actually be empathic – and are short circuiting due to overstimulation of their emotions. Only doctors don’t realize this.

To this day I feel other people’s emotions. I know when they lie to me, when they are sad, angry, etc.

It is a gift and a curse.

That is my story….

Do You help the sick, poor, weak, hungry and hurting people that You randomly come across?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Great thread

Empathy is a gift but sometimes can be very frustrating. Imagine to be able to “hear” others peoples emotions, 24/7…just thing that sometimes you may “hear” and feel bad things from people very close to you.
Yes I am one and I am trying very hard to control it in my everyday life.

Thanks for your story.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
One of the "gifts" of participating in a war is extreme empathy. Its part of the "psychic" package you get on the battlefield. I acquired the "gift" May 10th, 1970 in Cambodia. It has made my life terrifying and exciting. For the most part its a good thing but you can't be around negative people or the predator type personalities that are so prevelent in politics and religion. The tricky part is ascertaining your own emotions from those others want to lay on you.
Thanks for posting this. Its nice to know others that haven't been in combat have this same ability. Doc

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
It took me years to find out I was empathic.Why I would be happy one moment and walk into a room and all of sudden feel anger.some People put ther emotion out there for others. I have honed it now.I was meeting up with friends at a bar to watch some boxing and the second I saw my friend I saw brother kind of written over her face.I asked what is wrong with your brother it turned out her brother got hooked on drugs.Another time a new friend came over to my house and I saw the word diabetes and asked if he was worried about getting dabetes and he was because his father has it.Sometimes I pick up when my wife is thinking about her Dad who died a few years back.Sometimes it freaks her out.It doesnt always happen it has to be strong emotions ,if it is every day things I dont pick up.When I do a healing and read peoples chakras then I feel their emotions they are hiding the stuff I dont pick up on just being with them. People block all the bad a natural defence. I feel through it and tell, then its a flood of emotions and the healing occurs. I have practise this over a few years it didnt just come to me I had to add a piece of the puzzle at a time, what images in my head correspond to what. Anybody can do this but some like the poster have more a talent than others

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Empathy in our society is vehemently repressed through the very nature of our socioeconomic system.

Many children, as I was, can become depressed at a very young age due to the 'doublethink' being committed by teachers and authority figures who are ostensibly telling us to be nice to others, while at the same time indoctrinating us into a socioeconomic system which encourages greed, competition, and a severe lack of empathy towards our fellow man.
edit on 19-10-2011 by Teebs because: forgot an 'a'

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Wow, you don't know how much I thank you for this story.
You just described my entire life to a tee and I am a little freaked out right now.
It is something that has ruled my entire life and has affected every single aspect of my day to day life.
I just never knew it had a name because it is so sneaky.

When people are acting crazy I start acting crazy so people call me crazy
When someone is depressed, I get depressed, so people call me depressed
When someone is happy I get happy and people think I am happy.

I am none of these things though.
Other people's emotions run right thru me.
It is like I am a conduit for people's feelings.
I just never put two and two together until just now.
It all makes perfect sense.

I realize that everybody is responsive to other people's emotions to a point.
Most people WILL get depressed if they hang around a depressing person for long enough.
But where it's different is that I always thought that those were MY emotions.
I have never been able to differentiate between my emotions and other people's emotions.
I thought I was able to but now I'm seeing that I wasn't ever able to.

This just opened up my whole world. Much to ponder.
Thanks for giving me a boost to understanding myself and what makes me tick.
It isn't everyday that happens.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I don't want to go into details about myself . This is your thread . Your time to be heard .
You are not alone , my friend .
You are special , but you are not unique . You are special because you are aware of a side of a certain aspect of yourself that we all share , but very few of us ever listen to this side of ourselves , or are even aware of its existance.

Peace.

S+F
edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
MentorsRiddle...
Thanks for an interesting and thought-provoking thread. I had a bit of a rough childhood myself, so I can relate.
Reading this thread makes one realize how emotions can turn a person into an angel or a monster, and every personality type in-between.
When a person is in an extremely emotional state, we use advice such as "chill out" or "get a grip"... yet controlling emotions can often be about as easy as controlling a tsunami.
Especially if one is an emphatic!

What should we aim for? It would be nice to feel deeply sensitive and caring on the inside, but be 'hard as a rock' and 'tough as nails' on the exterior, all the while dispensing our emotions in carefully measured doses.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Came across this interesting vid .
One or two of you just might recognise something of yourself .
Enjoy .

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65

I don't want to go into details about myself . This is your thread . Your time to be heard .

That's bullcrap. This is a chance to discuss. We need other people's stories like yours.
It helps to validate what we feel may be going on with us.
If you have something to share then share it.
I would like to hear.
This is all so facinating to me.

I will go a step further and say that I believe it is possible to be in tune with
the emotions of humanity as a whole. Our overall emotional state if you can wrap your head around that.

I am not trying to be overly dramatic but I have and have always had a sadness that isn't my own but I have never had anything tangible that I could point to in order to explain it.

I will submit to you that, as pompus and arrogant as it may sound, I feel and have always felt the suffering
of humanity. It keeps me up at night sometimes. Feeling the suffering that is going on in this world.

My wife and I were talking the other night about winning the lottery and how nice it would be.
I tried to explain to her that I would not be able to enjoy it.

She looked perplexed and didn't understand why.

I tried to explain to her that the end of OUR suffering wasn't enough.
That isn't solving the problem.
How can I be truely "happy" when there are so many others suffering right now?
How could I possibly enjoy that new Ferarri or huge house?
If anything It would make me more miserable.

The point is, there is no such thing as ME having TRUE and LASTING "Happiness" until EVERYONE is happy.

Not trying to sound altruistic or anything, it is what it is.
Take it or leave it.
edit on 19-10-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I completely understand and empathise with everything you are feeling and with the feelings of the OP . I just don't feel like writing too much today . I was out with a large crowd last night ( you know how that feels ) and I'm happy just reading other peoples experiences while I recharge

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

well said.
I totally know how you feel.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I am truly amazed by the number of people who seem to be buying into the idea that the OP’s empathy is somehow transcended from a paranormal ability or by taking catapres when she was younger. I do not doubt that she may be a very empathetic person but this is just a personal characteristic probably due to a high level of emotional intelligence and her life experiences rather than anything special. This is not a gift, there is nothing special about being empathetic almost all humans who are not cognitively impaired are capable of empathy. I would like to reiterate that being empathetic has nothing to do with taking catapres.

And being “an epithetic” makes no sense there is no such thing as “an epithetic” you could describe yourself as being an “epithetic person” but not “an epithetic”. I am an epithetic person, I work, learn and play with epithetic people none of us are “special” it’s just something that we do because we have to. Stop pretending that the OP and others are “special” because they have a capacity for empathy.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Watch and learn .

www.youtube.com...

I will know in an instant if you reply without bothering to watch the vid

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Good to see you have it all figured out man.
I would try to explain to you our point of view but somethingtells me your mind is already made up
and closed for buisness. Hope that serves you well in life.

If I am wrong and you would like clarification because you seek understanding and admit that you don't have all of the answers, by all means let me know and I would be happy to explain.

I just don't have the time nor the inclination to enter into a debate with someone who isn't going to benefit from it and is going to shut down everything being thrown at them.

Am I wrong?
or did I nail it?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

I use empathy every day, this thread is full of people with inferiority complex’s trying to prove they are somehow “special” when in reality being empathetic and using empathy is something that lots of people do every day almost without thinking. This is not paranormal it’s not a gift it’s just something that we humans do from time to time, some more than others.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join