It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veterans’ unemployment outpaces civilian rate

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

TDawgRex,

Get a truck and a plow and landscaping equipment and do it yourself.

I used to work in a vcr/game system/small electronics repair shop, in the winter my boss would rent equipment and go to strip malls, libraries, etc to plow their lots. He'd often show up at the shop end of day with $1000 in his pocket (he'd give me a bonus on this days!)

I know it's not cheap, but some used equipment should be affordable and can get you started. Start your own business - working for someone else blows.

I'm not sure where you're at or what the competition would be like there, but working as an individual you should be able to easily undercut competitors prices and earn quick business. On top of this EVERYTHING would be tax deductable; vehicle, fuel, equipment, cell phone bill, advertising and marketing, etc.

edit on 19-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Here is some additional informaiton:

www.washingtonpost.com

HAMPTON, Va. — President Obama will use an appearance at a military base here Wednesday to announce a partnership with the private sector to employ 25,000 veterans of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars over the next two years, White House officials said.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

What a lie,!!!!!!!!!!! this is nothing but a big lie, my husband works at our local Marine Corps base as a contractor, most contractors are indeed retirees, Guess what, Obama is reducing the military by billions of dollars, already the base has let go many employees from the Warehouses as the base is a depot, by November my husband and his fellow workers will find out if they are in the list for release..

He is not creating jobs is is killing jobs he is a funny and a hoax.

I can no believe he is lying like that,
people should boycott his appearance at the base.

Let him come at my neck of the woods I will be the first one in line protesting his lies.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I don't mean to be offensive or insensitive. I think a reduction in military is exactly what this country needs. We are facing unfathomable amounts of debt and we spend more on "defense" than all other countries combined.

You want to fix ALL of the US' problems? It's going to take a generation, but take all that money from the military and invest in education at all levels. Bring all of our public schools up to the levels of our best performing schools. Invest heavily in grants for college students. On top of this invest heavily in food education, local food production, and make sure people are informed enough to make good decisions regarding diet. With these two initiatives we would increase production, bolster the future workforce with well educated workers, reduce the massive amount of money we spend on health care that could be prevented easily with some changes to diet.

It's very unfortunate that there are so many active military right now that would lose their jobs, but we cannot continue down this path or we'll find ourselves financially and morally bankrupt in just a few short years.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I'm my own worse enemy.

If I took out a loan and got a truck and plow I kinow I could be plowing the first snowfall. But I hate borrowing money...it's my PTSD. I was a financial retard when I was younger and it took quite a few years to get out of debt. I'm cash only now.

Competition is pretty tight here but I know if I could moved to Wisconsin, which is not financially feasible right now, I know a guy up there and he said he is willing to sell me his equipment and contracts. He wants to retire.

At the current rate, barring any life changing events, I should be able to move come May. At the moment, I just want to stay busy until it's time to go. And I'll still be debt free.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Yes we need a reduction of the military, but remember that it happened before and the results were very bad for the military, I lived throught Clinton reduction and base closings, during the 90s as a military active duty wife, that cause a big problem when Bush wagged war and the military was lacking, but during the 90s things were not bad and unemployment were not as high as it was today.

The reduction of the military has more to do now with cutting funds to civilian employees and contracting than military personnel itself, for those the plan is to cut wages, reduce benefits and extent the years you may have before retirement with less pay.

Also they are to target already retirees benefits and access to medical care. While you have access to veterans hospital they are not in every town in the states so many military people depend on subsidized health care for their needs and families like my husband and me and is not free, now we may face higher deductibles, fees and less benefits also.

Obama is lying, he is already cutting civilian jobs in military base as we have seen in my neck of the woods military base, and he is preaching that he is going to create jobs? at the expenses of already occupy jobs in the states? what the heck, he is in a campaign tour and he is just lying as all this politicians do for votes.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I've heard mumblings about raising the military retirement age but nothing solid yet.

I am aware of the increase in enrollment fees for TRICARE, but if I remember correctly it was a very small increase, something like $5 a month for the best family plan. The annual total to insure your entire family is like $550 or something, with the increased fee. This is an AMAZING deal!

I pay almost 10 times that annually for family insurance. On top of this I have co-pays and deductibles. Add to this the portion of my taxes that goes toward paying for Medicare/Medicaid/Tricare/Social Security.. Yeah, service members are still getting an excellent deal.

I do not agree at all with the proposed raise in retirement age, but benefits aren't being restricted under this plan, just pushed back. I agree with you that it's bull crap. We need to shut down military bases overseas and honor our commitment to our service men and women as they currently stand. This is to say, I don't disagree with revamping the benefits packages, but they should not be able to alter contracts with existing military personnel.

I believe government employees should pay more for their health insurance too. As it stands you and I pay the lion's share for their so called "cadillac plans." These guys spend a couple years as a senator and have free healthcare for life, on our dime. Lots of revamping needs to happen. Step #1 : vote out 90% of incumbents.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Yes we need a reduction of the military, but remember that it happened before and the results were very bad for the military, I lived throught Clinton reduction and base closings, during the 90s as a military active duty wife, that cause a big problem when Bush wagged war and the military was lacking, but during the 90s things were not bad and unemployment were not as high as it was today.

The reduction of the military has more to do now with cutting funds to civilian employees and contracting than military personnel itself, for those the plan is to cut wages, reduce benefits and extent the years you may have before retirement with less pay.

Also they are to target already retirees benefits and access to medical care. While you have access to veterans hospital they are not in every town in the states so many military people depend on subsidized health care for their needs and families like my husband and me and is not free, now we may face higher deductibles, fees and less benefits also.

Obama is lying, he is already cutting civilian jobs in military base as we have seen in my neck of the woods military base, and he is preaching that he is going to create jobs? at the expenses of already occupy jobs in the states? what the heck, he is in a campaign tour and he is just lying as all this politicians do for votes.

Your husband deserves to lose his job for being a contractor of the US military/government. Let someone with honor and integrity do those jobs instead please, maybe those who actually take an oath to serve, defend and protect the constitution and the country that adheres to it, when it adheres to it.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

What are you talking about? my husband is a retired US marine and a veteran of the gulf war.

Do all of us a favor and read before you post.

Shame, shame, shame.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Yes the proposals are gaining approval by more Republicans in congress, read the military times review on the proposed new cuts, that will include the already retirees and families.

My husband said that the veterans lobbying group is fighting the proposal.

Look what the government is doing to the elderly in Medicare and SS, it raised the SS because they are going to raise Medicare what a joke, but the difference in pay will no alleviate the Medicare increase.

Our government has create the economic problems we have today with their private interest policies and now that the nation is in trouble they still spending like drunken sailors while screwing the tax payer in the process.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join