It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexy women coax passwords out of hackers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

It seems all it takes for 75 percent of hackers and IT security professionals to hand over their personal online information is the seductive ways of a woman.

One would hope that IT workers on the frontlines of cybersecurity, as well as the technically adept hackers they battle, would know not to disclose personal information to a stranger they meet online. But that's not the case, according to a new study by the security firm Bitdefender, which found that both groups are likely to hand over their personal details to the right online "friend," especially if that friend is a woman.

Source

The title of this article was a bit misleading as it then goes on to state that the It professionals also fell for her scam and sent her info. But in any case it highlights one of the points I try to make to people all the time. Hackers exist because they know human nature. You the victim allow them to take advantage of you through greed, sex, sympathy, what have you. It is the human desire for easy money etcetera that allows the hackers to scam their information from you. The simple rule of the internet is never give any personal information to anybody who you are not 100% sure is legit. This is why those phishing scams, or the here cash this check for me scams work so well. People are in too gullible and fall for the sob story, or fall for the prospect of easy money. And as shown in this case, just some old fashioned T&A.
edit on 18/10/2011 by ArMaP because: Link corrected

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
the real question is did the info these guys gave her actually stack up or were they all MD's of multi millon dollar companies driving sports cars and owning their own desert island resort rather than reveal their name is kevin earning 20k a year and living in mums basement and still delivering papers even though he's 35?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

LOL good question. But my point still stands... I see so many people get burnt by online scams each year it just make me cringe at how they fell for the trap. I work in an IT/Communications field so this is something I deal with all the time. I read this story and had to laugh. That even the two groups of people who should be most aware of the scams fell for her story was very telling. I have no idea if the info they provided was indeed real, but the methods of collection of your personal info are very real. People fall for crap like this on a daily basis. Internet scams are quickly becoming the single largest form of theft/fraud in the world.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Yeah, you IT guys need to be careful.

Remember what happened to Gaius Baltar?

Next sexy lady you give your password out to might be out for total global annihilation.
edit on 18-10-2011 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

Well I hate to get too far off topic; but the original was better.

edit on 18-10-2011 by byeluvolk because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-10-2011 by byeluvolk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap
Yeah, you IT guys need to be careful.

Remember what happened to Gaius Baltar?

Next sexy lady you give your password out to might be out for total global annihilation.
edit on 18-10-2011 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

Oh come on, to be fair, Tricia Helfer could make most men do anything...

8^)~~~~~~

I don't really get the thing tho, what is a sexy woman after a password for that a blokes mind goes and gives it to her - I cannot envisage a situation that would warrant a sexy woman needing a critical password where someone goes "oh it'll be ok, duhhhhh".. weird.

So yeah these guys are either not really the guys running the IT and are just directors or ceo's that just KNOW the password.. I cant see it any other way, but then, no sexy woman has ever tried to get my password..

All that spam and stuff in my inbox too, their loss..

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Such is the power of a Woman..errr I should say Sex

Isn't that amazing? She doesnt have to be knowledgible just as long as she is hot, the most brilliant Hacker would melt like a putty in her hands and puke/handover everything he knows directly/indirectly?

Good old cold war espionage tactic

join