It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kosovo Serbs resist NATO call to remove roadblocks.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Kosovo Serbs resist NATO call to remove roadblocks.

www.trust.org

MITROVICA, Kosovo, Oct 18 - Serbs in north Kosovo on Tuesday resisted a demand by NATO peacekeepers to remove more than a dozen roadblocks in a months-long stand-off over control of two disputed border crossings.

NATO had given minority Serbs until Tuesday to remove barricades erected in July, when Kosovo's ethnic Albanian-dominated authorities tried to take control of the border points.

Serbs in the north reject Kosovo's 2008 declaration of independence from Serbia, and on Tuesday they came..
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.rferl.org

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
So i guess that the Serbs still continually want Kosovo back? I mean what's up with that? I mean i understand but Kosovo is independent but do Serbs do want them really back? I suspect they should leave them alone. Do i see any Albanians harassing KFOR forces and Serbs lately? Not really.

I think KFOR needs more forces in the region because there isn't seem many as much. Like 400,000 perhaps? After all, there were 5,700 KFOR forces in Kosovo.

www.trust.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
You Sir seriously need to do some more reading up on the whole Balkan issue. You are severely illiterate in regards to it if you have to be asking the questions that you are.

KFOR has no right to be there, Kosovo has no right to independance and the US is illegally stationing its forces at an illegal military base called Camp Bondsteel....illegal occupation.

Now run along and go do your homework on the topic and let me know what you find out.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15
So i guess that the Serbs still continually want Kosovo back? I mean what's up with that? I mean i understand but Kosovo is independent but do Serbs do want them really back? I suspect they should leave them alone. Do i see any Albanians harassing KFOR forces and Serbs lately? Not really.

Not even 50% of UN recognised Kosovo as state. Not even full NATO I think?
Only thing I wonder is how the # can some country get recognized as sovereign when its not both sided? Majority of the world does not accept Kosovo as state and it actually is, isn't that a bit ironic?

Actually I have no clue why the # would Serbia even want Kosovo, I think they want north part of it where majority of their religious monuments are?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by thereisnologic

Not even 50% of UN recognised Kosovo as state. Not even full NATO I think?
Only thing I wonder is how the # can some country get recognized as sovereign when its not both sided? Majority of the world does not accept Kosovo as state and it actually is, isn't that a bit ironic?

Actually I have no clue why the # would Serbia even want Kosovo, I think they want north part of it where majority of their religious monuments are?

Serbia refuse to recognized Kosovo as an independent state and i heard that Serbia was trying to join the EU but in order to do so, they have to recognized Kosovo as an independent state. Right now though, the KFOR forces is still stationed there when Serbian government in 1999 agreed to let NATO troops into Kosovo as peacekeepers after the 78 day NATO bombing of Kosovo and Serbia. Even now, Kosovo tensions is rising higher. I don't like it because Serbs is trying to initiate another "ethic cleansing" war and there wasn't enough KFOR forces in Kosovo to control the situation. I mean i know the two major contributors to it is the Germans and American forces in Kosovo.
edit on 18-10-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Northern parts of Kosovo have Serbian majority. This will continue to be a source of problems in the future.

What needs to be done is to change the border according to ethnic composition of a population.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
Northern parts of Kosovo have Serbian majority. This will continue to be a source of problems in the future.

What needs to be done is to change the border according to ethnic composition of a population.

Or be telling them to leave? More KFOR forces needs to be taken because right now only 5,473 KFOR forces were stationed there. Seems like it needed a lot more than that.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

Not telling them to leave, you cannot force people to leave the land on which they have been living for a long time like that.

More KFOR forces should probably be sent, but the core of the problem in northern Kosovo is that Albanians are a minority there. The border should be relocated to the south, otherwise there will always be problems.

Borders should respect ethnic composition of a population.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Imagine if all the Mexicans in Texas went to the UN and said, "since we are the majority, we want this as our own country". Then imagine the UN sent troops to make it happen.

Once again America is on the wrong side.

And yes I am Serbian by heritage, Kovacevich family from Montenegro.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

reply to post by Paulioetc15

Not telling them to leave, you cannot force people to leave the land on which they have been living for a long time like that.

More KFOR forces should probably be sent, but the core of the problem in northern Kosovo is that Albanians are a minority there. The border should be relocated to the south, otherwise there will always be problems.

Borders should respect ethnic composition of a population.

Oh i see what you're talking about. I believe that 104,000 KFOR forces was needed for the to prevent the possible hostilities between Albanians and Serbians. Even since the KFOR has been downgraded since the early 00s, they were several hostilities between Albanians and Serbian population that cause the KFOR to be strengthen. Hopefully though Serbs learn their lessons from Kosovo and Bosnia. Cause it seems they never learn from it. It's like they wanted to reclaim the territory back. I mean what other other nations contributed lately to the KFOR? Not a lot.
edit on 18-10-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Imagine if all the Mexicans in Texas went to the UN and said, "since we are the majority, we want this as our own country". Then imagine the UN sent troops to make it happen.

Isnt that how its supposed to be? Borders are a good example of a thing that should be decided democratically on a local level, IMHO.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Isnt that how its supposed to be? Borders are a good example of a thing that should be decided democratically on a local level, IMHO.

Most of Europes population will be Arab in 30 years.

Do you think it would then be ok to disband France and Belgium and call them New Islamabad?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Most of Europes population will be Arab in 30 years. Do you think it would then be ok to disband France and Belgium and call them New Islamabad?

If the citizens want it, then yes, there would be no other peaceful option either way. Thats what may happen when you let an alien unassimilated cultural elements into your country.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Most of Europes population will be Arab in 30 years. Do you think it would then be ok to disband France and Belgium and call them New Islamabad?

If the citizens want it, then yes, there would be no other peaceful option either way. Thats what may happen when you let an alien unassimilated cultural elements into your country.

So preserving cultural heritage means nothing to you?

It's all about who has the higher birthrate?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

So preserving cultural heritage means nothing to you? It's all about who has the higher birthrate?

Basically, yes. I dont like it either.

EDIT: from serbian point of view, kosovo was like a cancer that had to be cut off, otherwise it could consume the whole country in the future.
edit on 18/10/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Some research relevant to this issue:

Research group finds creating boundaries key to reducing ethnic violence

While the situation is now better than in the past, the boundary is still not placed ideally.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Serbia refuse to recognized Kosovo as an independent state and i heard that Serbia was trying to join the EU but in order to do so, they have to recognized Kosovo as an independent state.

Not just Serbia - well over half of the world refuses to recognize Kosovo as a sovereign state. That includes China, India, and Russia. There is no legal or justifiable basis for cutting off a piece of historical Serbia, and giving to Albanians. The countries that oppose this, realize that it sets a very dangerous precedent, where no country's (especially for a relatively weak country) territorial integrity is safe.

As for EU - nobody has made it a requirement that Serbia needs to recognize Kosovo to join. And I think potential EU entrants are starting to question whether EU is structurally sound from the economic and social point for view. Serbia is not going to recognize Kosovo, and nobody can bribe it do so.

Right now though, the KFOR forces is still stationed there when Serbian government in 1999 agreed to let NATO troops into Kosovo as peacekeepers after the 78 day NATO bombing of Kosovo and Serbia.

Nobody "agreed" to let NATO forces occupy Kosovo - they de-facto forced the Serbian government and military to move aside. They did so, by conducting a bombing campaign against government and civilian targets in Serbia, which amounted to unprovoked aggression and was in violation of NATO's own conventions.

Even now, Kosovo tensions is rising higher.

What did you expect to happen? NATO was going to come it, bomb a sovereign country, slice it up, and give a piece of it to Albanian mafiosi and their Islamic radicalist partners? And you expect the people of the said country to be cool about the whole thing? Even more so, you expect the people of that country who are now cut off from their homeland, who are now forced to live and submit to a regime composed of mafia and war criminals, to be cool about it?

If you are surprised by the fact that Serbs in Kosovo are not exactly thrilled about the circumstances, then you are absolutely clueless.

I don't like it because Serbs is trying to initiate another "ethic cleansing" war

Huh? How are Serbs trying to initiate ethnic cleansing right now? Do you have any examples, or are you speaking out of your ***? Also what do you mean by "another" ethnic cleansing? There is no consensus, even in Europe, that what took place during the Kosovo War amounted to ethnic cleansing. Both sides slaughtered each other, and civilians died on both sides.

and there wasn't enough KFOR forces in Kosovo to control the situation.

Want to take a guess why? A good part of KFOR members disagree about the partition of Serbia, and many countries originally involved have long ago started to doubt the goals and the outcomes of the operation. Additionally there is a question of money. The Albanian regime in Kosovo right now is sucking funds from Europe as it is - what with being unsustainable and having no economy. And most of Europe has other more pressing matters to attend to.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

So i guess that the Serbs still continually want Kosovo back? I mean what's up with that?

Well lets see. Say you have a house, and one day somebody moves into the top floor of your house without your express permission or aknowledgement. In a few year that somebody decides to claim the top floor of your house as theirs - they occupied it for some time after all. When you go upstairs to take matters into your own hands, that somebody and a bunch of their friends beat you up and tell you to stay out of the top floor. And then they proceed to destroy your furniture and possessions that were on the top floor.

Now tell me will you continually want the top floor of your house back, or will you let it go?

This is going to answer your profound inquiry as to "what's up with that"?

I suspect they should leave them alone.

I suspect you have no clue as to what is going on.

Do i see any Albanians harassing KFOR forces

And bite the hand that feeds them?

Like 400,000 perhaps?

Do you want to sponsor the prolonged stay of 400,000 troops out of your personal taxes? Care to guess how much it costs?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

That concept would lead to endless conflicts.

How do you define "local level". Say a state becomes independent because the majority there want it. Then say a district in that state also wants to become independent. Then say a town in district decides to become independent. Eventually every property owner in the town will proclaim that they are a majority on the "local level", which is their property, and proclaim independence. This cycle would quickly lead to a breakdown of societies and order.

Collective societies exist for a reason, and they cannot be sliced on the slightest whim of anyone who proclaims themselves to be a majority of whatever self-prescribed region they care to carve out.
edit on 18-10-2011 by maloy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

That concept would lead to endless conflicts.

Quite the opposite, the absence of this would lead and does/did lead to endless conflicts.

How do you define "local level". Say a state becomes independent because the majority there want it. Then say a district in that state also wants to become independent. Then say a town in district decides to become independent. Eventually every property owner in the town will proclaim that they are a majority on the "local level", which is their property, and proclaim independence. This cycle would quickly lead to a breakdown of societies and order.

Stop taking it ad absurdum. There are at most just a handful such disputed territories in the world with an actual alien majority willing to break off, no breakdown will commence.

District level would be ideal, IMHO.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join