It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet USMC Sgt Shamar Thomas on Countdown w/ Keith Olbermann Famous OWS Video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
If any of you have not heard by now a man haphazardly dress in a Marine fatigues, spoke out against what he believed was unnecessary police actions, in the Occupy Wall Street Movement. Some spoke out saying he was a phony Marine, and some commented on his sloppy dress code, but the majority of the people spoke out in favor of what his main message was.

MSM has given him a voice as well

Here is his Youtube Channel that has already received 6 digits views in a single day

Here is the Woman that Sgt Shamar Thomas may have been talking about.

A bit more about this Marine from the Youtube Site link.

United States Marine Corps. Sgt. Shamar Thomas from Roosevelt, NY went toe to toe with the New York Police Department. An activist in the Occupy Wall Street movement, Thomas voiced his opinions of the NYPD police brutality that had and has been plaguing the #OWS movement.

Thomas is a 24-year-old Marine Veteran (2 tours in Iraq), he currently plays amateur football and is in college.

Thomas comes from a long line of people who sacrifice for their country: Mother, Army Veteran (Iraq), Step father, Army, active duty (Afghanistan), Grand father, Air Force veteran (Vietnam), Great Grand Father Navy veteran (World War II).

edit on 17-10-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
that last video, that white shirt officer is simply an embarassment to the human race. Thats a women, i dont care if she was threatening your life, she is half his weight and he has infinity more training in hand to hand combat. What a selfish evil little gutless #. I know its quit tense at occupy movements, but no reason for him to just snap at her like that. Even if she did spit on him.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
So Im a little perplexed as to why this guy is so special
Is it because he was in the armed forces at one point in life? Im sorry I just dont get all the hoopla. Seems like this side is just reaching for anything they can to make them seem reputable
He is a human being just like all the rest of us. Well, you know, except the reptillians

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Beautiful work, thank you.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I think what makes him special is that many people in the US see the military men and woman as brain-washed puppets for the elite (including some ex-military that I know), and he shows another side of that that the average person can relate to. He did what he felt was right, standing up for his fellow Americans against an increasingly hostile and militaristic domestic police force. And the "woman" who was punched by Officer Hardass is in fact a man who also happens to be HIV-Positive.

edit on 10/17/2011 by OblivionGate because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/17/2011 by OblivionGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OblivionGate

Weird.

Did it still require the punch to the head though?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

He voiced his opinion like others should be doing. I don't like the fact that he claimed to support everyone, it probably only discredited him in the eyes of the political nitpickers, but he's a decent example of what everyone should be doing at an OWS protest. Which is questioning that which will strike a chord with everyone that's unhappy with our government.

The only open declarations he made, was being against greed, and against treating American citizens worse than the US military treats people in foreign countries that are actually being violent. Those are both things that many people agree with.
edit on 17-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

You know what. If cops are out there(and I have seen the videos) just grabbing people out of the crowd and beating them then I'm glad someone who also wears a uniform shouted them down.

HOWEVER, if you rush police lines and get aggressive don't be surprised if cops get aggressive too.

There is no excuse for some of the crap I've seen cops do to the OWS protesters. As much as I disagree with OWS and as suspicious as I am of them(the organizing leadership and many of the members), beating people up for no reason is not the way to handle this.

If people are getting aggressive and rioting, fine. Go kick ass. However, aside from some disobedience and rushing a few police lines I have not seen what I would call riots, property damage, fire bombing or anything of the sort. I am GLAD that is the case and hope it stays that way.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
What made it special is he has been in the # before. He's seen a real war first hand. Almost none of the police present there could say the same. So they may have been dressing up to play soldier, but he saw through their bluff and called them on it.

Do you think it makes you tough to dress up in riot gear and hit people with batons?

No it does not because these people are not fighting back.

If you want to be tough, go enlist in the Army and get all the fighting you can handle.

Guess none of these cops had the stones for that though.

I proudly stand with him and his message.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by alpha chino

In the original video one cop approached him and claimed to be a veteran. He didn't seem to sympathize with him though.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
this guys is awsome! in the original video you can see the police are moved by what he says. Ofcourse thay try not to let it show but you know thay feel like crap out ther

If anything the police should be ther to protect the protesters from the elites henchmen and overly touchy citibank security gards

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by alpha chino
What made it special is he has been in the # before. He's seen a real war first hand. Almost none of the police present there could say the same. So they may have been dressing up to play soldier, but he saw through their bluff and called them on it.

Do you think it makes you tough to dress up in riot gear and hit people with batons?

No it does not because these people are not fighting back.

If you want to be tough, go enlist in the Army and get all the fighting you can handle.

Guess none of these cops had the stones for that though.

I proudly stand with him and his message.

What proof do you have of the other officers millitary record? Many officers eh most officers are former millitary. Secondly, hes lucky he wasnt beaten(not that I condone it) and this kind of mentality will bring what no one wants and thats a scenario like in syria. just sayin

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Evidently most NYPD officers are not ex-military because they had to go find an officer that did serve to talk him down before he would move. Were the other officers too scared to identify themselves as veterans? I don't know why they would be, because that's what got him to calm down, was another serviceman talking to him.
edit on 17-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Was anybody throwing rocks,burning cars,shooting guns?
No.
Let the people peacefully protest .
I'm behind Sgt.Thomas 100%!

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
He was powerful enough that he really didn't have to wear part of a uniform to make his point. But it sure got him noticed. Regarding the dress code, it would have been nice if he wore it to standard, too, but that's another story.

Why do the police come out in riot gear and march about this likable Sgt wants to know, well he of anyone should know that it's NYPD's job to keep control of their city, and gearing up in a precautionary method is a big part of that. Anyone in this country should expect that when assembling en masse - they do it to protect you after all, not just themselves (well, ideally right?).

So, I would have rather heard him focus more on the larger picture at hand, the protest itself, what we as Americans want, and who we want answers from, rather than the recent skirmishes between a couple of NYPDs and civvies - or the fact that they, as they always have done, carry guns.

After all, that's just shifting tension-attention onto the NYPD, and this whole thing is going to get crazy. Not that it isn't going to lead to that anyway, these things just tend to hurry it along, and to be honest I'm quite concerned about how far this whole OWS will go.

Either fizzle out or the whole system gets a hard reset,

/seatbelt on

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Powerful.

Trust me. The uniform is symbolic. If he was not wearing the uniform, I am willing to bet the cops would have jumped on him, beat him, and arrested him for disturbing the peace. The uniform and cameras in this case, kept the Police in check. He would probably have then been thrown in some Psych-ward (which can technically keep you in longer then prison)...

The imagery of the cops jumping on a uniformed vet, would have been suicide for the NYPD. If they did that, do you know how many Vets would have joined up just by that action?

The only other video I've seen that holds so as much power (Vets and Police) took place in Boston. When the Police started arresting vets, and the imagery of the American Flag being tossed to the ground. They were not young vets in Uniform though.

The Uniform has power that just screaming, "I'm a Vet" does not.

Most ironic part of the video, is when you hear the cop call him crazy... The cops are crazy if they continue beating peaceful people. Hopefully they wake up.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Yesterday morning the view count was around 2000 views and now it is almost a half a million. I would say something is definitely resonating with the masses of people in the USA and around the world.

People have asked what the message is in his protest video.

I would have to say peace, love, and something very positive is going to happen for the 99%.

Yes he was upset, screaming and angry at one point, but rightly so.

Finally, the masses in the USA have gotten up off there asses, and have peacefully assembled. Why? because of the way the country is being run. Politicians put in place of Our Republic do not represent 99%, people have had enough. The awaking is like never before, this time it is peaceful and they do not want violence only resolution for the mass corruption on many verticals.

What I also find very Ironic is the people that say this movement is unorganized, but as time moves on, people are finding common grounds and what needs to be accomplished. Our own government can't seem to agree or get anything done unless they are getting kickbacks from the lobbyists, so it's high time this movement took place.

Peace out,

RT

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
that last video, that white shirt officer is simply an embarassment to the human race. Thats a women, i dont care if she was threatening your life, she is half his weight and he has infinity more training in hand to hand combat. What a selfish evil little gutless #. I know its quit tense at occupy movements, but no reason for him to just snap at her like that. Even if she did spit on him.

Why the bias ?
After all they make about the same money as Men which is not related to their size.

Women want to be at equal with men then why not the beatings at a protest?
Afterall they have managed to climb up to a very good level in the societies around the world from lets say 100 years ago. If not anything, Women in US have lot more legal rights then many countries around the world. Women have advanced into several segments and parts of the economies around the world. If they are against Wall Street CEO's (Women or Men) then certainly they are also part of the problem not just greedy CEO's and Politicians and everyone that are to be blamed.

If you think deep down, there are several sectors of the retail industry that thrived on the Modern womans requirement/demands. Do you think the companies catering to the needs of the Modern Woman are at fault if they hire cheap labor in some other country for manufacturing? Cosmetics & Fashion Apparel industry for one besides several others.

Personally I feel that anyone participating in a procession or gathering and if SHTF or if you get clobbered (knowingly or unknowingly by anyone) then you certainly asked for it.

Are there any peaceful protests in the history of human civilization of such magnitude where Violence wasn't part of it? Probably Never when it comes to a massive movement such as OWS and others around the US and the world. Its just that we have the technology to make a mountain out of a mole using camera, internet and ofcourse the Political Propoganda that we feel bad. There are countless incidents of violence against both men and women by both the genders against each other that go unnoticed/unreported throughout the day from every part of the world. Atleast this woman was alive and just punched. Try some middle eastern country where the
punishment is even severe.

I'm simply making a point that if you join your hands with any movement or protest, then be prepared for the unforeseened consequences.
edit on 18-10-2011 by hp1229 because: typo

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

Women want to be at equal with men then why not the beatings at a protest?
Afterall they have managed to climb up to a very good level in the societies around the world from lets say 100 years ago. If not anything, Women in US have lot more legal rights then many countries around the world. Women have advanced into several segments and parts of the economies around the world. If they are against Wall Street CEO's (Women or Men) then certainly they are also part of the problem not just greedy CEO's and Politicians and everyone that are to be blamed.

HP although I understand your position on men and women being treated equal, no one should ever be assaulted and battered, if they are not a threat, not a man or a woman, especially an unarmed female peacefully protesting.

The thread topic is about USMC Sgt Shamar Thomas, let's try to not derail the thread. Positive and constructive talk. Thanks for posting!

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

In war it it is this way and when the SHTF, I seriously doubt that we will be afforded special treatment because of our genitalia and size.
Women want equality.. better toughen up. The time when women could poke a hornets nest and then hide behind her petticoats is over.
I dont condone police violence, but as just jane citizen... if some idiot came up and spit in my face when I was doing my job I might have stomped her ass too. You cant physically provoke and then whine police brutality... regardless of your gender. Her spittle just got her an assault charge and a beat down. Peaceful protest means peaceful. WHen a revolution comes there will be no mistaking it.. and it wont involve slogans, spitting and behaving foolishly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join