It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a One-Percenter...and I Support the OWS Movement.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
reply to post by bellagirl

i am 44 and i am an American, and i feel exactly the same. welcome to middle age. One good thing we are Generation X. that really means nothing, just sounds cooler than the others. lol

thanks for the reply...so i guess we are the same all over the world.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Nicely said, assuming you are who you say you are. I used to think a lot differently about the accumulation of wealth and those who had it because I have always been of the 99%. However, within the last year I have changed my views about money. I don't hate, despise, or even covet those who do have large sums of wealth and abundance in their lives. There is nothing wrong with being rich and while many of the 99% will criticize those who are of the 1% I would like to see how their lives would change if they all of a sudden became part of the 1%.

Now I am not trying to defend the 1% because I understand that many who make up that group acquired their wealth through unscrupulous practices or simply being born into the right family. So for those like the OP who worked hard and made their money with smart business moves and some luck should they feel guilty for having it? Should they go hire a gardener for $10,000 a week simply because they have the money to do so? If you were to win the lottery and become and instant millionaire, would you be at one of the occupy events handing out $100 bills to everyone? What I am trying to say is that it is easy to sit on one side of the fence and pass judgement on someone on the other side but don't be so quick to do so until you have seen their view from their side of the fence.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FailedProphet

I will welcome a movement to make things fairer for all Americans...no matter how much money they have.

Would you welcome a debt-forgiveness movement? I hold a Master's degree, can not find full-time employment, am married to a man who is a tech genius who also cannot find employment. I owe $50,000 in student loans, and there is no way I will ever be able to pay it off...so, basically, I'm not gonna.

Am I forgiven?

Can I just call my mortgage-holder, who "bought" my note without my permission, and tell them "I have paid you everything I am going to pay you. Add up all the payments (excluding RE taxes and insurance) I have made to you. You will compute that I have paid for the purchase price of the house plus another 20,000. That's all I'm willing to pay you.

And since I did not give you permission to "buy" my mortgage, I do not agree that we have a "contract." YOU have a piece of paper that SOMEONE ELSE sold YOU, with MY NAME on it. And that's not fair. I don't want to do business with you, so I am not going to."

Do you agree that I should still be able to keep my education and my home?

What is your stance on that?

Any advice on how to go about it?

EDIT TO ADD: Oh, and btw, the mortgage-holder is the same bank that RUINED my EXCELLENT CREDIT RATING when my ex-husband defaulted on a credt card debt AND a mortgage that were ordered by the court to be HIS RESPONSIBILITY. He walked away. My credit was ruined. And the bank refused to remove the charge-off from MY CREDIT. So I can't refinance! Oh thank you so much, Chase bank, for building this trap around me!!

Is that fair? Jamie Dimon is the anti-Christ. I would welcome any movement to string him up by the heels and disembowel him publicly. He is a monster. He is a psychopath. My only comfort is in knowing what awaits him after his death, which can not come too soon, in my opinion. And he is my "cohort" inasmuch as we are the same age. Luck, you say? What about CRIMINAL GREED, CORRUPTION, and LIFE-RUINING EVIL?
edit on 18-10-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
sorry dude your a capitalist .. the top 1% embezzeled their money .. you sound like you just made yours..

if anything you should be protesting .

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

If there was somewhere in Aus someone who thought the same as I did, it's you.

Almost word for word...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
Amen brother

Hey, since you ARE a 1%er.. why not buy me a car

I prefer it when a 1%er is in reference to a Biker..

But in a way, both above the law, both unscrupulous unless you are part of the gang and both have more cash than they know what to do with...

edit on 18/10/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I flagged you because I think that your opinion and view about OWS is correct. The system in USA and the whole world, which is mostly based upon credit and banking is just screwed

Everyone should have the same chances, free will and opportunity to make of their life what they want.

However i don't think it matters at all whether you are a one percenter or not.
edit on 18-10-2011 by nagabonar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
You are a 1%er, and you agree with the 99%. wanna make a huge point with them/..

make a video giving away tons of money. go walk down the street handing wads to everyone you see.. can you imagine the publicity. could you imagine the rally that would form around you?

do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or burn it!! down with money.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
O.K Just buy silver. Thats a great investment and in same time you support OWS.

You could empty Apmex SilverEagles, there are 75000 of them available now
That makes it 2,5 million dollars

Buying silver will crash the banksters.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

I'm in the same boat. Technically, if you make more than $385k per year, you're in the top 1%...which shouldn't prevent you from admitting to what's right and wrong based on personal greed. I'm 100% with you, things aren't right, the government (and not just in the US, it's the same in the UK) is now a mere sock puppet of the top 1% and corporate America...and this HAS to change.

From a money perspective, I should be against the protests...but I always believed ethics and morality should stand above money (even if in reality they often don't).

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I'm sure having a middle class upbringing helps you to relate to those less monetarily successful than yourself because you know all too well, hard work and wealth do not in most cases equate. Don't equate yourself with being of the 1% because of your checkbook, equate yourself with being one of the 99% on the basis of your concern for your fellow man, woman and child.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog

investors

I agree with most of you're post. This however I didn't, you need investors in a free market society to put money forth to fund businesses, projects, capital ect ect.

OT:S&F

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
yup, it's like i said before

to be rich today you gotta either do something illegal or be born rich or get lucky

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
Amen brother

Hey, since you ARE a 1%er.. why not buy me a car

Lets say hypothetically the OP grants your request but instead of buying you a $20,000 car he decides to buy 200 bicycles so more people can benefit from his generosity.

Not speaking for you but I would bet at least 3/4 of those people getting a free bike would still demand more if they knew they were given by a wealthy person.

It just seems that no one really cares how a person makes their money but if they have more than you they are the enemy.

Personally if someone has the brains and drive to make a bunch of money (legally, of course) then more power to them.

P.S. I am not even close to being wealthy and being a big spender involves taking my girlfriend to Chili's and a movie once per month (maybe).

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The economy should be for the people's welfare, not the contrary where the people are slaves of the economy !
Think about it.
We have to CONTROL the economy again, not the contrary.
We are the bosses, not the system over us !!
The puppets of the system, the bankers and the corporations CEO's, are playing with MONEY, they play a game for more and more profit, we are the slaves with just no more futur left because the system sucks all the money out of the market ..... debt, debt, debt everywhere ... and money needed for the shareholders...
The system is no longer about quality and good food, everything is just a value/price with a benefit.
Even a human being is worth a certain value ... everything is becoming a product.
So, as one other person said : if you continue to play that monopoly game without new start of the game, there is no playing any longer possible, the winner takes it all and the game is over.
Capitalism is the best known system for this ages, I don't know for the futur ... but the system is screwed, is broken, is in overdrive ... the engine has no more oil left and begins to block ... no more oxygen left also ...
it's time to restart the system again by giving the people a new deal !!!

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'm not really sure why the mods have allowed people to continue beg for money on this thread. Even though it's a halfhearted joke, it's still not conducive to the topic.

I don't 'get' the OWS movement. I have friends that are all for it, and ones that are not, but it really boils down the to fact that I feel like they are protesting the wrong people. Yes, the large corporations have made a lot of money off of us, but we should really direct our attentions to our corrupt government. OWS is just sort of ... all over the place, and they don't seem to have any single voice. I can't really take it seriously, and I have no desire to be involved with them if they can't show some direction. I have experienced living in solid middle class, upper middle class and then the lowest of lower class. I am disillusioned with college and work places. But I feel like that is inevitable in these sort of days, and instead of a revolution against businesses, there needs to be a revolution against the government.

I see you all talk about government, but I'm not seeing the protest leaning towards that.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
These protests are small and unorganized.

I could be wrong, but I see them going nowhere.

The mainstream media makes these protests look small and unorganized.

That's what is up. For something like this to spread (in solidarity) to london, rome, madrid, athens, paris. It would be hard to say its small and unorganized.

There may not be somebody or a group acting as the prime leader of the protests.... it is more or less a massive thinking game. Generally people have summed up the same ideas about corruption in governments and the unfairness is the financial system. They are simply standing by each other for sharing the same thoughts, to get a point across.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join