It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Economy: How Politics is the Heroin of an Organic System

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by antonia

Ok, let's see what Wikipedia says about it:
en.wikipedia.org...

is the philosophical doctrine suggesting the negation of one or more putatively meaningful aspects of life. Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[1]

None of that seems pessimistic? I think this kind of thinking can(and has) lead to some grotesque crimes against humanity.

And Christians and Muslims who assign value to life have also committed some pretty grotesque crimes.

You see it as negative because it does not fit with your world view. Life cannot be good if it has no meaning, purpose or value, that is your view. Life is can be happy regardless of the presence of those three things and honestly, it might be a little less stressful, that is my view. Most of these grotesque crimes were not committed by philosophical Nihilists, they were committed by people who valued one life over another. No one has the right to deny another their life.

It's moral subjectivity. One man's evil is another man's good. So killing all the Jews was Hitler's good, while all of us look on in horror. I don't think this is the philosophy for people of good conscience.

Hitler was not a nihilist as he placed value of the lives of Aryans. He did assign value to life. All morals are subjective, hence why in some parts of the world women showing their hair is considered vile yet women can show 90% of teir body in other parts of the world and no one cares.
edit on 18-10-2011 by antonia because: forgot something

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I agree.

But I think moral subjectivity is equally as dangerous and has been.

Anyone can justify wasting life if they view it as meaningless anyway.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

But I think moral subjectivity is equally as dangerous and has been.

I agree, don't you think this trend is objectively immoral?

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

I think that chart shows what is wrong with how the federal government handles taxation and how it handles credit aggregates(Federal Reserve).

There are solutions to these problems, but I don't think it is a moral equivalent to force redistribution.

Though to be fair I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Though to be fair I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

My point is that your concepts make sense, but only on the individual level.

We already live in a corporate plutocracy.

A very small percentage of the population has a monopoly on the natural resources and can manipulate complex financial markets for profit.

This destabilizes our economy and our government.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I would be an existential nihilist if I didn't acknowledge our intrinsic needs to survive, eat, excrete, and reproduce. However, I think the meaning of life goes beyond that. I think it is to create a utopia in which to optimize our survival. This is reflected in other species down to the internal mechanisms of primitive multicellular organisms. As we have gained intelligence and a frontal lobe through evolution, we have rationalized our way out of utopia. Perhaps this is also happening on an internal level and will destroy us from the inside. It's ironic that we have developed the tools to accelerate our nature, but we have used the tools to deviate from our nature. To take the irony deeper, what we are doing to ourselves is natural, because everything is of nature.
edit on 15-4-2012 by gentledissident because: little typos

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join