It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Economy: How Politics is the Heroin of an Organic System

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I can tell you've never seen Starbucks offer to buy out a local owned coffee shop. They'll either buy it, or build one of their corporate run establishments next door.
Like I said, it's all for sale. If you think you have an original innovation, forget it. You can either sell it to them, or they'll change one small thing and run with it. The law is not sufficient to stop them currently.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

I can tell you've never seen Starbucks offer to buy out a local owned coffee shop. They'll either buy it, or build one of their corporate run establishments next door.
Like I said, it's all for sale. If you think you have an original innovation, forget it. You can either sell it to them, or they'll change one small thing and run with it. The law is not sufficient to stop them currently.

If Starbucks BUYS a coffeeshop, how is that theft? If they set up shop next to an independent coffeehouse, how is it theft?

Starbucks set up a shop just down the street from a coffeehouse here called Java Jungle. After 10 months in business Starbucks closed down.

Why? Because Starbucks couldn't compete with Java Jungle. And there's only ONE Java Jungle.

Competition is what keeps the wheels of economics greased. If you can't compete, or at least keep up, then you're missing something.

It's both the fault of the individual for being successful, and it is the fault of the individual for failing in the market place.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

They took a huge risk and it paid off. Not everyone is "Java Jungle", and it will often not pay off. I salute them to sticking to their guns, but in reality, it's rare for that to happen.

All of your arguments come back to the same idea in every thread, Americans are the problem.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

They took a huge risk and it paid off. Not everyone is "Java Jungle", and it will often not pay off. I salute them to sticking to their guns, but in reality, it's rare for that to happen.

All of your arguments come back to the same idea in every thread, Americans are the problem.

What?

Risk=Reward. Without risk(ponying up capital) there is no reward(profit). If you can profit without risk THEN your are most likely stealing.

Failure isn't a bad thing if you learn from it and move on.

How many entrepreneurs have tried and failed many, many times before actually striking gold? It isn't about failing. The fear of failure is the mother of all stagnation and economic depression. It's why "Too big to fail" was so offensive to those of us who believe in free markets.

So how are Americans the problem? I'm not sure where you're going with that.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Actually, I was going to look up the failure rates on small businesses. I have heard them quoted as 90% failure rates before, but it seems that one in three are now profitable. Not bad odds. I might give it a try one day, assuming this # bucket stays afloat.

I think most Americans would still rather have a reasonable wage at a job than start their own business.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

And you don't see that as a problem?

The air of the entrepreneurial balloon has been sucked out and people are more interested in being a worker bee than creating their own wealth is a problem, not a good thing.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

No one can find a job, should the venture go south. It makes the risk much worse when you may not be able to find a normal job to fall back on.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Sure. It can suck. But you don't stop trying because of the suck.

The one and only business I ever ran was a small coffee shop in Vegas when i was 18 years old. I co-owned with three other people. Within 18 months or so it was gone, and I didn't have anything to fall back on.

Haven't started a business since. But when I leave the Army I'll likely give it another go. If it fails then, so be it, I'll give it another go. I will keep at it until I have something that works.

There are jobs out there. If they aren't in your state, move to another one with better employment options. Borrow if you have to in order to do it.

Don't just come up with excuse after excuse why this or that can't be done.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

People are more worried about eating than sucking. They want to make sure they can put food in their mouths. If it hasn't gotten there yet in your part of the country, it will soon.

Some people have families and ties to their area, not everyone should be expected to move anywhere for a job.
edit on 17-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Last time i saw a lot of Americans aren't exactly starving the U.S. has become one of the most over weight countries on this planet.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

People are more worried about eating than sucking. They want to make sure they can put food in their mouths. If it hasn't gotten there yet in your part of the country, it will soon.

Some people have families and ties to their area, not everyone should be expected to move anywhere for a job.

So trying to better one's situation, no matter what it takes, is not something that should be expected from people?

I have to disagree with you on that. I've know many who have moved out of state to find better opportunities.

And so you know I live in Nevada, one of the most hard hit states economically. Very high unemployment. Been on the receiving end of it.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

You're talking about acquiring wealth, I'm talking about being able to feed one's self. If you are in the boat of needing money to feed yourself, and you take one of those risks, you may never recover. You don't get it.

You should never start any business until you're secure in your own wealth, and have enough money put away to live on for a year. Starting a business and making ends meet just doesn't happen. It takes hard work, and time. No one is in a position to put in the money and time it requires to build a business that can turn a profit.

You and your partners didn't even go full circle with a business, it takes longer than 18 months to get a business to take off.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Last time i saw a lot of Americans aren't exactly starving the U.S. has become one of the most over weight countries on this planet.

That is false. There are plenty of people starving in America. I used to be one of them when i was like 12.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

So the premise of people starving when the rates for obesity has been climbing steadily seems to be if people are worried about others starving those statistics would be decreasing and helping out their fellow human beings or is it the governments responsibility to feed the masses?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Obesity is climbing because the last of the "baby boomers" recently hit the obese years. When the baby boomers die this country will be a lot better off. I can't wait because their medicare is costing me too much money, while they sit on lifetime savings in the bank of several hundreds of thousands of dollars, talking about how poor they are.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Nice sounds a lot like eugenics to me glad you feel that way one day your going to be right there where they are.

Something to ponder.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Obesity rates and the amount of people starving have almost nothing to do with each other.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Thats a pretty cynical way of looking at it, i suppose.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Sure they do how can a bunch of jobless homeless people eat but not only that but eat so much they have become over weight?

Sounds a lot like gluttony to me like i said bleeding hearts have so much food they become over weight they themselves should share their wealth of their food and again is that personal responsibility or the government?
edit on 17-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I think that use to be the case. However, the capitalist trait to always cut slack wherever you find it and to always increase productivity, manages to put a good portion of the population out of work over time. How much more worthless junk do we need to make in order to keep everyone working? Human capital can no longer compete and that is the root cause of our problems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join