It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The perception of "life" as a "game", facts & more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Hi all,

I have recently posted 2 threads in the space exploration forum and I thought why would not I post something in the Philosophy and Meta-physic in order of contributing to this forum. I think what you will read relates greatly with philosophy in my opinion.

Let's start with a bit of external text. According to Wikipedia, a game is the following:

A game is structured playing, usually undertaken for enjoyment and sometimes used as an educational tool. Games are distinct from work, which is usually carried out for remuneration, and from art, which is more often an expression of aesthetic or ideological elements. However, the distinction is not clear-cut, and many games are also considered to be work (such as professional players of spectator sports/games) or art (such as jigsaw puzzles or games involving an artistic layout such as Mahjong, solitaire, or some video games).

So in resume, a game can be considered as something to be enjoyed such as sports, a puzzle or to relate simply to work.

Typical examples of games could be like these examples:

Many sports examples

A puzzle

An idea about work

Again, according to the same source, there is a precision about it and this is where it is getting very interesting:

Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. Games generally involve mental or physical stimulation, and often both. Many games help develop practical skills, serve as a form of exercise, or otherwise perform an educational, simulational, or psychological role. According to Chris Crawford, the requirement for player interaction puts activities such as jigsaw puzzles and solitaire "games" into the category of puzzles rather than games.

Somehow, it relates in a way to life as we are used to have it. There is the mention of psychology, education, and skills, which I consider the main key aspects about this thread.

First, Concerning psychology we could well relate everything about aspect which includes the way we think, how, why, when, and so on. Psychology is almost limitless. It includes as well philosophy which is a part of psychology as being the personal perception and opinion on a particular topic where morality and ethic comes in consideration.

Second, we have education. Every single job on the earth is in direct link with this one because we need an education in order of doing a profession, be it physical or mental orientated.

I actually thought it related well to the physical and mental aspect of a job, as well as being very funny.

Then the last but not least, skills. Skills are actually very interesting because it is everywhere here on earth and many aspects. When somebody is skillful with his hands we say that person has dexterity. When another one is good in sports, we can say whether he has dexterity, reflexes (it relates to psychology somehow but anyway...). When someone else is knowing a lot we say this person is intelligent and when another one learns more and more from experiences, we will say that he or she is wise.

The thing is that this is all true, but it is possible the find this in many computer games! Astounding is not it when you think about it ?

Here is an example of some statistics about a "player" in a well known computer game:

Do you see the statistics on the left bottom? Strenght, agility, spirit an so on? Do not you think guys that someway somehow it is similar to life ?

Some might say yes others no, ... However, what is important to notice here is the perception about the topic. The fact that life is a game is only because I have the personal perception of having a computer game having some similarity with what we do live once and everyday. So, maybe everything of this thread is only a projection of my personal thoughts and might be wrong... or right.

I will leave you with this opening and thereafter, you may or not post what is your own idea on what was discussed here in this thread.

Many people say they live the game of life...

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The act of birth is a roll of the wheel.

Kind of like "Birth Canal Roulette".

I think your on to something.

Now I'm wondering if we are just pieces on somebody's board.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

In the definition you gave in the beginning, it said:

"A game is structured playing, usually undertaken for enjoyment and sometimes used as an educational tool."

You didn't hit on the educational aspect, from a "beyond" human aspect.

What if the purpose of this thing you call Life is it is a Game, "used as an educational tool" to answer question(s)?

Dew you really think every possible question has been answered or even asked?

I hope kNot!

Ribbit

edit on 17-10-2011 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
The act of birth is a roll of the wheel.

Kind of like "Birth Canal Roulette".

I think your on to something.

Now I'm wondering if we are just pieces on somebody's board.

Welcome to Life, Pinocchio!

Ribbit

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Well that thought has been around into my mind in these recent times. I do not know but I can tell you that this is a matter of perception in my opinion. Trying to prove this although is very hard. By the way do not overtake this, it is just a premise, a supposition.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

It's a fascinating premise.

I once dreamed the entire Earth is in some "Child Super Being's" sock drawer.

The truth is...Nobody knows. I do enjoy thinking about these kinds of things.

It's just as likely as some other beliefs I have studied.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Well they say art imitates life.
As above so below

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Surely anything that has rules you must follow can be considered a 'game' ?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthIncarnate

Maybe, maybe not, but with all the facts i brang here on this thread I am still wondering about this. Today, my big boss at my job told us we are all our own piece on a chessboard, mmh !? He meant by this that every single person has it's own part in contributing to good relating to clients. It made me think again.

Thruthseek3r

top topics

join