It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Pittsburgh - My Report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I went down to check out the Occupy site here in downtown Pittsburgh. It's at a location along the main road downtown, Grant Street, on a lot owned by BNY Mellon, and just two blocks away from a Federal Reserve Bank.

I didn't see any police presence when I was there around 1 pm today. There were approximately 50 tents set up in the square, a group of about fifteen people debating something in a tent, and maybe another twenty people around the periphery.

There were a number of signs there that had some conflicting messages, but their basic thrust was they opposed corporate welfare at the expense of the people. Interestingly, there were quite a few pro-capitalism, anti-corporatism signs. They're scheduled to have their own general assembly Wednesday evening, and I might be curious enough to go.

I was looking to engage a few of the people in conversation, but it appeared I arrived at a little bit of a lull. I knew a few of the people there, and though the signs didn't reflect it, the people there were definitely more left-leaning.

For the most part, the square was kept very clean and everyone was friendly. When I walked away, I noticed a lot of people were talking about them, and the consensus in as much as there was one, was that while they were right about the corruption, the people doing their daily business thought the protestors were a bit nuts.
edit on 17-10-2011 by cassandranova because: grammar

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by cassandranova

People doing their daily business were probably sheep. Many people in this nation have become too self centered and never stop to think about things are for others, and what's best for their country, not for them specifically. Glad to hear that you went to check them out for yourself.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cassandranova

Thanks for the report
Glad to hear it was civil and an effort to maintain cleanliness was applied.

the people doing their daily business thought the protestors were a bit nuts.

Reminds me of a bumper sticker," you laugh at us because we are all different, and we laugh at you cuz you are all the same."

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It's pretty much aligned with what I expected, but I think it revealed the impact this movement is having. While they really haven't put out a clear agenda, people are talking about their issues since they're being seen. It doesn't mean they'll get what they want, but economic disparity isn't something usually on the front burner.

If for no other reason than that, they're having a real impact.

I think many people are profoundly uncomfortable with the status quo, though the other thought I had running through my head is while they had a good idea of why, they had no idea on how.

new topics

top topics

join